Another EV thread. Portable Tesla charging stations

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Its the not in my backyard mentality. Same thing with several projects to improve the power grid in the Northeast by adding some power lines from western New York and they keep getting blocked because people don’t like power lines.

Exactly. The reason why it isn't supportedt in hat specific location is obvious. NIMBY is alive and strong.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You’re just being willfully dense on this topic, not that it’s anything new.

You- 2 styles of lawn equipment and other small engine products won't exist.
Me- 2 styles currently exist so of course they could continue to exist.
You- you are being willfully dense.

I am clearly missing something and I am not being willfully dense or obtuse. Electric motor lawn equipment exists now alongside gas. I am not sure why that can't continue. CARB's recent declaration doesn't mean manufacturers can't continue to produce both gas and electric equipment.

And to be clear, I am not posting this because I support CARB rules.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Interesting note. There currently isn’t enough annual lithium supply to satisfy the California new car requirements for 2035. True or false. Do a little research and see what it takes to get lithium out of the ground and into a usable form in one of the various yet different battery cell configurations. EVs are great for certain applications but hope you don’t own one when they tell you it needs a new battery. Wonder if you can get a loan to replace because it’s not cheap, $5K-$20K

patdog

May 28, 2007
Exactly. People are going to have to choose though. They can have NIMBY or they can have electricity. Can’t have it both ways.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. This is just one of many problems with the CA mandate.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
People like that can’t think that far ahead. It’s about the here and now and what they perceive as the right thing even though it will screw over everyone in the future.

Last edited:

engie

May 29, 2011
You- 2 styles of lawn equipment and other small engine products won't exist.

Except this isn't what I said at all. And it's clearly spelled out over numerous posts which everyone else seems to be comprehending.

Meanwhile I'll set up a million dollars worth of generators in Arkansas this week. That are all built to California standards though none of these will ever go anywhere near there. And they'll use twice the diesel, on 1-1/2 times the size, weight, and initial cost. While working about half as well and consistently as the previous generation. But at least we negated the carbon monoxide I guess, thanks to California policy. Pretty small companies though. John Deere/Yanmar/Multiquip.

And for anyone that actually understands what I'm talking about at this point, modern tier 4 final generators have to run at high load at all times in order to function properly in the longterm. So in order to be reliable they essentially have big automatic electric heaters on top of them, so they are pulling 60% load, even if you are just running it to charge your phone at about 1/16A 120v.

And this is just the example directly in front of me. I already laid out a couple of others.

Last edited:

ByTor SnowDawg

Nov 4, 2021
Interesting note. There currently isn’t enough annual lithium supply to satisfy the California new car requirements for 2035. True or false. Do a little research and see what it takes to get lithium out of the ground and into a usable form in one of the various yet different battery cell configurations. EVs are great for certain applications but hope you don’t own one when they tell you it needs a new battery. Wonder if you can get a loan to replace because it’s not cheap, $5K-$20K

For the trucks, more than that. I checked w/ my Chevy dealer how expensive to replace batteries for the upcoming Silverado EV package. They told me to expect 8 years of life out of the truck, and trade it in
when the batteries run low, they'd cost 30 to 40k. Clean energy is a great idea, just how do we get there. Seems to me, we're still burning up resources and trading one form of pollution for another. I'm not
aware of a solution for recycling the spent batteries, please correct me if I missed something, I'll invest in it!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login