Another slow OT

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I read a lot online. While reading articles that reference someone’s mother, the mother is often referred to as mum. Is this universal now? Have I been under a rock and nothing new? This is a $64k question for me.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I read a lot online. While reading articles that reference someone’s mother, the mother is often referred to as mum. Is this universal now? Have I been under a rock and nothing new? This is a $64k question for me.

Fun fact: the first recorded use of the word "Mother" was in Danzig's 1988 song "Mother". A lot of people thought it was released in the early 90's, but that was actually a live re-release of the 1988 song, though that re-release actually led to the song being their biggest hit.

Is that true? I dunno, but I'm pretty Brits have been using 'mum' for mother since time immemorial.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005

whew!! I thought you were talking about our football recruiting.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
But I’m talking about American articles. I’m serious guys, I’m losing sleep over this. I can’t eat, poop, or sleep.

biguglyjoe

Mar 3, 2008
Norma Bates : [voice-over] "Mother, she's just a stranger"! As if men don't desire strangers! - Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960)

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
But I’m talking about American articles. I’m serious guys, I’m losing sleep over this. I can’t eat, poop, or sleep.

Yikes!

I haven't noticed this. Whenever I see a writer use the term "Mum," I presume that term is appropriate for that person's childhood and upbringing.

Maybe the writer grew up in England? Maybe the writer's mother/father is from England? Who knows?

Don't you be worried about **** like that. You've gotta control your "Walter." (See The Big Lebowski, if you don't follow.)

Just let it go. Life's too short to be worried about **** like that.

Besides . . . football season will be here soon, and we'll have plenty of other things to worry about.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login