Another special session...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No, MEGALOSPORTSDOME would be going over on the east side of 55...

I should really insert a big "if" in the sentence above somewhere.
Yeah at first glance, that appears to be one of those boondoggles. And I can't help but wonder, how many more damned sports fields can we support? Every town has one.

But I will say that it seems all the Madison teams drive down to Flowood/Brandon to play, so maybe that's one area that needs another facility. Especially with the growth they are about to have.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It could end up being big for Miss State Extension or Holmes community college. I don't really know but you never know.****

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The thing about this stuff is that if you want a facility like that to come to your state/area it is going to cost you something upfront. If you don't pay to get it, somebody else will. Mississippi is terribly late to this party but we seem, at least in spots, to at least be in the game now.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The thing about this stuff is that if you want a facility like that to come to your state/area it is going to cost you something upfront. If you don't pay to get it, somebody else will. Mississippi is terribly late to this party but we seem, at least in spots, to at least be in the game now.
The key is to pay for the ones that will actually work out. Like Nissan, Continental, Steel Dynamics, Amazon.

MS has invested in many that didn't.

Reactions: HRMSU and patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Free market capitalism without government intervention, right? 🤣
Yes, it's a win-win. Don't worry, the government will win in this transaction long term: more tax revenue, more taxpayers, etc. I assume that's your main concern, that the government will somehow lose money betting on bringing AWS into the state?

Or are you saying the government should take all the money they collect from taxpayers and give it to non-taxpayers?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah. Until your friends back in your home counties in rural Mississippi get upset about all these job opportunities happening in counties with higher populations or closer to major metropolitan areas.

No grousing from my Pine Belt friends yet but I expect it to happen.
Not to be callous, but people are allowed to move to where more jobs are... Or, get some training in an industry that's not closing/moving factories? I don't know the details of your friends' situation obviously, but just speaking in general, there are other ways to attack this issue without throwing money into areas that don't have potential growth.

The state is looking at this as an investment in the future - I can't say I blame them for putting that bet on the megasite in Madison County instead of <pick a random poor/low population/non-growing county>.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I’m thinking it’s a Bucee’s***
Houston Dynamo GIF by The Surge

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah at first glance, that appears to be one of those boondoggles. And I can't help but wonder, how many more damned sports fields can we support? Every town has one.

But I will say that it seems all the Madison teams drive down to Flowood/Brandon to play, so maybe that's one area that needs another facility. Especially with the growth they are about to have.
Oh a complex is needed in the north metro for sure. A real one that compares with some in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and Georgia, not just white lines on some fields somewhere that flood periodically. I'm... 'guessing' that it won't be this one.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
That’s kind of what I alluded to in the links I posted earlier. You don’t see any other cities that have these in the southeast, besides Atlanta and several in Florida. Midwest only has a couple, as well (MO and IN).

In time, I expect many more states to have these as AWS grows and expands. But, for now, it’s really good company to be in. I’m sure Amazon had a ton of locations to choose from in the region.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not to be callous, but people are allowed to move to where more jobs are... Or, get some training in an industry that's not closing/moving factories? I don't know the details of your friends' situation obviously, but just speaking in general, there are other ways to attack this issue without throwing money into areas that don't have potential growth.

The state is looking at this as an investment in the future - I can't say I blame them for putting that bet on the megasite in Madison County instead of <pick a random poor/low population/non-growing county>.
Yea, it's politically hard but the reality is most of the desirable jobs are going to be where people already are. It's why we have such a challenge in attracting good jobs to Mississippi. The only places in Mississippi that I think would be competitive for this type of project would be the the periphery of Jackson (b/c Jackson has 17ed itself out of being competitive) and somewhere in North Mississippi that is very accessible for the Memphis MSA population. I don't know but I would guess the Coast wouldn't even have enough population to be competitive even if the hurricane risk didn't weigh heavily against it.

THat's part of the reason Mississippi gave such good incentives to Milwaukee tools. There's just so few businesses that will even consider locating in the Delta, they opened the checkbook to close that deal so they could show a win in a place that doesn't get much investment. I haven't looked, but I suspect if you compared what Mississippi committed for those jobs in relation to how well paying those jobs are, it would be pretty big compared to what was committed for Steel Dynamics, Continental Tire, the EV plant, and this job. May not be though because that wouldn't have required the big infrastructure investment.

ETA: Small towns in general are just in a tough spot. People like suburban living and small town living with easy access to bigger city amenities (but of course few of those small towns with easy access to bigger city amenities stay small; they just become suburban or exurban as people flood in). People generally don't like living in small towns hours away from amenities. That unfortunately describes a lot of communities in Mississippi. They are generally not losing population that quickly, but they are getting older and I assume the population losses will come. Hell, I'm pretty sure the communities that are growing in Mississippi, the growth is dominated by people moving in from smaller Mississippi towns.

I liked growing up in a small town but I would not encourage my kids to do it. Maybe Starkville or Oxford would be ok since they have a university, but they'd need a hell of a job lined up for me to advise them to move to most places in Mississippi. I wouldn't even recommend Madison unless they had a job/business that was in Madison and was not dependent on commuting into Jackson.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I think @Maroon Eagle was more making of the Mississippi mentality. I mean you see it in this thread, people are already talking crap about a great new development. Mississippians are not happy for each other, we like to compare, compete and tear each other apart. Instead of celebrating a win for the state, he's right that the Chris McDaniel cult will start wondering why tax dollars are going to Madison and not muh JoNeS cOuNtY, and obviously the Democrat bunch will wonder when they will get their cut of everything, because the man is holding them down. THAD BAD, not muh true conservsvuhtiv!!! Stuff like that. The idea of strategically planning growth in a few areas to create an exponential effect, is just so foreign to so many Mississippians who simply never left their hometown and wonder why the factory shut down.

And there's nothing wrong with living that small town life - just don't bltch about growth in the areas who work hard for it and want it. And don't bltch about when things go well for the state capital city and its metro, you see that all the time here too. Folks that live in their white picket fence towns like New Albany truly think the state doesn't need an urban area because they have muh good skools in their small section of the state.

Oh a complex is needed in the north metro for sure. A real one that compares with some in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and Georgia, not just white lines on some fields somewhere that flood periodically. I'm... 'guessing' that it won't be this one.
I was replying to you on the other subject, so I will just combine them here.

The thing is, Vicksburg beat them to that, with the Sportsforce deal. I haven't been out to the Starkville one, so not sure how it compares, but supposed to be nice. Then I hear about Snowden in Desoto, not sure on that one either. Most of them, like Brandon, Flowood, Magee, Grenada, Winona - they are just a bunch of turf fields that will allow the tournament directors to still make money in the rain. Then others around like Ridgeland, Louisville, Brookhaven, Clinton, Kosciusko have dirt/grass fields that are fairly nice, kind of a range there. I also think Laurel and Columbia now have complexes, though I've never been to them. And I have no idea about the Coast and Tupelo, never took a team there, but they have all kinds of tournaments that I see advertised. So it seems we are at saturation.

Will people come to Madison/Gluckstadt over Vicksburg? Sounds strange, but I think Vicksburg is in a better situation to capture out-of-state tourism, from location to surrounding attractions. Madison is a great place to live but why would anyone visit there? Mama Hamil's?

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Precisely. Which is why all the gnashing of teeth at these announcements make me scratch my head. The Steel Dynamics project at GTR was the largest capital investment in state history (until this announcement) and it's under construction. Huber lumber plant in Noxubee County of all places.... not a huge investment on the grand scheme of things, but a monumental investment for a rural area like Shuqualak.

Who cares what the state has to pony up up front? That's literally what every other state does to recruit these industries. They do it better than us. Yet, the "lil Ole Mississippi" comes out in everyone any time announcements like this are made. We can find the worst in a good situation better than any other group of people on the planet. These same people talk out of both sides of their mouths and complain "why can't MS be like [insert state with growing economy here]!?" Well, this is how those things happen.

I understand that the Kemper plant boondoggle is still fresh in everyones minds, but as much as I don't personally care for him, Tater tot has shown that he is committed to getting Mississippi's hands on any new outside investment that he can.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

You’re not callous.

I agree with you 100 percent.

I just know how some of my academy boy peeps think.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
but as much as I don't personally care for him, Tater tot has shown that he is committed to getting Mississippi's hands on any new outside investment that he can.
When does this opinion begin to change, considering how good of a governor he has been? I just wonder when people will stop qualifying their compliments about him. He's about as good as Mississippi could have ever hoped for.

If we could get similar production from the Jackson Mayor's office at some point, we could be in business.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Knowing where the proposed megalodome is to be built, I highly doubt that will end up being what was proposed once (if) finished. Folks will be expecting a Ferrari and will end up with a Camaro.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
I think @Maroon Eagle I mean you see it in this thread, people are already talking crap about a great new development. Mississippians are not happy for each other, we like to compare, compete and tear each other apart.

The idea of strategically planning growth in a few areas to create an exponential effect, is just so foreign to so many Mississippians who simply never left their hometown and wonder why the factory shut down.

And there's nothing wrong with living that small town life - just don't bltch about growth in the areas who work hard for it and want it. And don't bltch about when things go well for the state capital city and its metro, you see that all the time here too. Folks that live in their white picket fence towns like New Albany truly think the state doesn't need an urban area because they have muh good skools in their small section of the state.
You're right Goat. You even see this mentality from folks in Madison. They oppose any growth, even though most of the growth of the Metro is situated right on top of them. They want to have their cake (small town feel, none of "those people") and eat it too (prime investments, tax revenue). You can't have both.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
If we could get similar production from the Jackson Mayor's office at some point, we could be in business.
I'd say to say it louder so they (Jxn) could hear you, but they'd probably stick their fingers in their ears until you lined their pockets.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The thing is, Vicksburg beat them to that, with the Sportsforce deal. I haven't been out to the Starkville one, so not sure how it compares, but supposed to be nice. Then I hear about Snowden in Desoto, not sure on that one either. Most of them, like Brandon, Flowood, Magee, Grenada, Winona - they are just a bunch of turf fields that will allow the tournament directors to still make money in the rain. Then others around like Ridgeland, Louisville, Brookhaven, Clinton, Kosciusko have dirt/grass fields that are fairly nice, kind of a range there. I also think Laurel and Columbia now have complexes, though I've never been to them. And I have no idea about the Coast and Tupelo, never took a team there, but they have all kinds of tournaments that I see advertised. So it seems we are at saturation.

Will people come to Madison/Gluckstadt over Vicksburg? Sounds strange, but I think Vicksburg is in a better situation to capture out-of-state tourism, from location to surrounding attractions. Madison is a great place to live but why would anyone visit there? Mama Hamil's?

I love that Vicksburg complex. All turf, drains extremely well, and can host baseball, soccer, 7 on 7, flag football, all in one place, unlike anything else around. It really is nice, and anything I say here is not negative but mainly out of jealousy. I wish we had access to it over here. Our teams get rained out at Liberty/Freedom Ridge/JFC any time it even sprinkles. I would love to have it. There just aren't many clean hotels and only a few restaurants that are easily accessible to that location in Vicksburg.

I've been told ("sources"!) that if they built something like it in Madison County, that tournaments would come here. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the Vicksburg vs. Madison amenities because I don't want to get on dawgstudent's bad side, but MadCo does have movie theaters, plenty of nice, safe hotels, Renaissance, Grandview, and Gluckstadt dining/shopping areas within minutes away, which is important if your team has an hour to eat between games and wants to go off-complex.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I think @Maroon Eagle was more making of the Mississippi mentality. I mean you see it in this thread, people are already talking crap about a great new development. Mississippians are not happy for each other, we like to compare, compete and tear each other apart.

This is the greatest disappointment in Mississippi: in-state regionalism. There ain't enough Mississippians around to be that territorial. Worse, many of those areas woefully in need of economic development. But the state, in its august wisdom, continues to be reactive instead of proactive. Disappointing.

The idea of strategically planning growth in a few areas to create an exponential effect, is just so foreign to so many Mississippians who simply never left their hometown and wonder why the factory shut down.
This is a great observation.

This is the Mississippi form of NIMBY.

Will people come to Madison/Gluckstadt over Vicksburg? Sounds strange, but I think Vicksburg is in a better situation to capture out-of-state tourism, from location to surrounding attractions.
I don't disagree with this. Vicksburg has a lot of potential. However, part of its problem is there ain't much north, south or west of it. Therefore it has a hard "row to hoe" in becoming a destination.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yeah. Until your friends back in your home counties in rural Mississippi get upset about all these job opportunities happening in counties with higher populations or closer to major metropolitan areas.

No grousing from my Pine Belt friends yet but I expect it to happen.
It's funny. Growing up in Alcorn County, when I moved to Hattiesburg, it seemed like a "big" city. (Two Walmarts and Two Malls and Three Movie Theaters!)

Then I moved to the Dallas - Fort Worth area and it was mind blowing and really made me question what Mississippi was doing.

Anyway... I've always wondered why Hattiesburg/Forrest County hasn't grown more in the space of distribution, regional datacenters, etc. Seems like that would be a natural fit.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
They already have a fulfillment center at the end of Nissan parkway. I would assume it would be near there. It’s within the megasite and has a cloverleaf interchange already.
Yes, they have already cleared and prepped the site, it’s huge. The sports megadome land is owned by neighbors of mine and it’s a spot that is going to take about a million dump trucks of dirt to build on it, used to be a shallow lake.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
Yes, they have already cleared and prepped the site, it’s huge. The sports megadome land is owned by neighbors of mine and it’s a spot that is going to take about a million dump trucks of dirt to build on it, used to be a shallow lake.
Also, Gluckstadt is already a mess traffic wise. These two announcements will hopefully force the state to step in and fix it without our wonderful supervisors being involved.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's funny. Growing up in Alcorn County, when I moved to Hattiesburg, it seemed like a "big" city. (Two Walmarts and Two Malls and Three Movie Theaters!)

Then I moved to the Dallas - Fort Worth area and it was mind blowing and really made me question what Mississippi was doing.

Anyway... I've always wondered why Hattiesburg/Forrest County hasn't grown more in the space of distribution, regional datacenters, etc. Seems like that would be a natural fit.

When we came to Austin in 2007, It was still a "small" big town. It was entertaining living here, and at that time, everyone here made fun of Dallas, saying it was all concrete and steel. Now, they can't say that because Austin is all concrete & steel and just getting larger.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't disagree with this. Vicksburg has a lot of potential. However, part of its problem is there ain't much north, south or west of it. Therefore it has a hard "row to hoe" in becoming a destination.
Yeah the ballfields would basically be the attraction, with the stuff that's in and around the river. Sort of like how the casinos work on the water, but not that great inland. All you really need is hotels with a pool, generic restaurants somewhere with like a gameroom or something (I think the casinos have that, like Margaritaville or something). Then all the T-bros can hang out with their Yeti's at the pool, eat wings, and one up each other talking about cool it all is. Plus it's right there on a major interstate at the convergence of MS/LA/AR and TX not far away.

Truth be known I wouldn't be for this type of development if I was Madison. I think I might be gunning for a more upscale crowd.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
When we came to Austin in 2007, It was still a "small" big town. It was entertaining living here, and at that time, everyone here made fun of Dallas, saying it was all concrete and steel. Now, they can't say that because Austin is all concrete & steel and just getting larger.
Shortly after I first moved to DFW in 2003, I remember complaining a lot about Austin traffic going down 35 when I'd come from Waxahachie to Austin or San Antonio. I was given the reason that "Austin has terrible city planning because the hippies in charge don't want to be just another concrete jungle."

Which.. fair... and was one of the reasons I kind of loved Austin and considered moving there when I was younger.

Crazy how times have changed in a relatively short period.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Yeah the ballfields would basically be the attraction, with the stuff that's in and around the river. Sort of like how the casinos work on the water, but not that great inland. All you really need is hotels with a pool, generic restaurants somewhere with like a gameroom or something (I think the casinos have that, like Margaritaville or something). Then all the T-bros can hang out with their Yeti's at the pool, eat wings, and one up each other talking about cool it all is. Plus it's right there on a major interstate at the convergence of MS/LA/AR and TX not far away.

Truth be known I wouldn't be for this type of development if I was Madison. I think I might be gunning for a more upscale crowd.
And its got a good downtown. If it can hold the attention of (read: retain) the younger crowd, it might have a chance. The National Park is a great asset and so is ERDC (Although probably half of ERDC lives in Jackson)

Could use some retail upgrades but that will come naturally.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And its got a good downtown. If it can hold the attention of (read: retain) the younger crowd, it might have a chance. The National Park is a great asset and so is ERDC (Although probably half of ERDC lives in Jackson)

Could use some retail upgrades but that will come naturally.
Hey they have a Chick Fila at the exit to go to Sportsforce****************************************

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Cook

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Shortly after I first moved to DFW in 2003, I remember complaining a lot about Austin traffic going down 35 when I'd come from Waxahachie to Austin or San Antonio. I was given the reason that "Austin has terrible city planning because the hippies in charge don't want to be just another concrete jungle."

Which.. fair... and was one of the reasons I kind of loved Austin and considered moving there when I was younger.

Crazy how times have changed in a relatively short period.
That is one of the reasons for the six lanes to Waxahachie and the speed limit of 130, which goes around Austin and drops you on I35 at Buda on your way to San Antonio. They are considering tackling the I-35 parking lot.

I live at the newly constructed 183 which will let you run from Liberty Hill through 620, Mopac, I-35, ending at the airport. We used to have longhorns and pastures here. They are being replaced by strip malls, monstrous apartment complexes, and housing developments. We are looking east of Georgetown, but they'll probably find us.

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login