Anthony Richardson

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Starting QB this year. I realize he was a first round pick for some unknown reason but it seems insane to throw him out there instead of rolling with Minshew. Should be entertaining tho for sure. NFL should be a piece of cake for him considering how good he was in the SEC. A year playing back up would be my thoughts but I guess that's why I'm not running a NFL team.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
But...but....his measurables are off the chart! They said the same about Jamarcus Russell. There is no way I would throw him to the wolves this early. He needs 3 to 4 years watching behind someone like Mahomes or Allen. I believe he will lead the league in picks this year.

Reactions: patdog

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Starting QB this year. I realize he was a first round pick for some unknown reason but it seems insane to throw him out there instead of rolling with Minshew. Should be entertaining tho for sure. NFL should be a piece of cake for him considering how good he was in the SEC. A year playing back up would be my thoughts but I guess that's why I'm not running a NFL team.
If he proves me wrong, I’ll raise my hand as being entirely wrong about him. That said, I expect him to be replaced as Indy’s starting QB by week 4

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
He won't be asked to make many tough throws. They will throw deep balls and lots of check downs to TEs and RBs and use his legs to try to make plays. It will surely be ugly at times.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t think he will be very good in the NFL. He will probably have some moments where he makes some pretty great athletic plays but I doubt he’s successful as a starting QB.

With that said, I don’t blame the colts for starting him. They are a mess right now and won’t be any good regardless who starts. Probably a good idea to go ahead see what you got in Richardson. They should also go ahead and trade Jonathan Taylor. Having Taylor won’t make a bit of difference for that team this year. He’s still cheap and someone will give a decent draft pick for him.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Their new head coach was Jalen Hurts’ OC in Philadelphia so they are hoping he can work the same magic with Richardson.

I’ll never say never with him just because there are several very good NFL QB’s right now that I didn’t think would amount to much in the league (Hurts, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Justin Herbert) and have since been proven very wrong on. That said, Richardson is still very green and depending on what happens with Taylor, he may not have much skill talent to help him out this year.

They are pretty much in a rebuild anyway so might as well start the young guy.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Their new head coach was Jalen Hurts’ OC in Philadelphia so they are hoping he can work the same magic with Richardson.

I’ll never say never with him just because there are several very good NFL QB’s right now that I didn’t think would amount to much in the league (Hurts, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Justin Herbert) and have since been proven very wrong on. That said, Richardson is still very green and depending on what happens with Taylor, he may not have much skill talent to help him out this year.

They are pretty much in a rebuild anyway so might as well start the young guy.
I don’t see Richardson as being anywhere near in the same league as any of those QBs, even when they were coming out of college. But who knows? One of the hardest things to do in sports is project how any QB will do in the NFL. If I could do it consistently, I’d make millions.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
He's super athletic, running a 4.43, arm strength wise he can make all the throws, & made 80% on the S2. So he's not dumb. If he can improve on his accuracy, eventually he'll be an above average qb if this year doesn't kill his confidence.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Richardson isn't going to do crap. He didn't do crap in college. He couldn't even elevate a Florida team, where you know they have good players.

People will just continue to have a fascination with the athletic quarterback and measurables. Bottom line, if you don't have the throwing accuracy, you won't make it most of the time. The only ones who have made it are Mike Vick and Lamar Jackson, and they stayed injured. You're talking about the best of the best when it comes to runners. Jalen Hurts is in the 'maybe' category, he hasn't made it yet, he was carried by a super team around him. Put a number of other QBs on that team and they are easily super bowl champs. But I like him so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt right now.

Last edited:

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I don't see Richardson failing like a lot of people are saying. Was he good at UF? Not really. Mullen's last team with him was a disaster, and I don't think Napier is a great HC. Richardson is the most athletically talented qb that we've seen since Vick. What makes Richardson different is that he is incredibly, incredibly mature and wants to be great. Everyone who has interviewed him an has been around him raves about his intangibles. Guys like Russell and Manziel didn't have those things. I don't think playing him early is a great idea since we've seen how careers can be de-railed by getting thrown to the wolves so early, but if he's able to weather the storm, he could end up being a really good qb in the league.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
He is a project. Would be like an MLB team spending a Top 5 pick on Eric Cerantola. If he puts it together then you’ve really got something, but you better be patient, and there’s a solid chance it never works out.

He’s not going to be very good this year, their only hope is he figures it out by 2024 or 2025.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
If he had a solid team around him to ease him into things he might turn out okay. The Colts are awful with or without him though so I anticipate him having a very bad year. Starting the rookie QB right away seems like a strategy that fails far more often than not.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If he had a solid team around him to ease him into things he might turn out okay.
No. He wouldn't. He just wouldn't. He's a Gene's Page All-American. Looks all-world until he takes a snap in a real game. Some players just have that "it" factor, and some players don't. He just doesn't.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
No. He wouldn't. He just wouldn't. He's a Gene's Page All-American. Looks all-world until he takes a snap in a real game. Some players just have that "it" factor, and some players don't. He just doesn't.
If he turns out decent that's going to be pretty damning of Mullen and Napier.

I just can't see him making it because he apparently needs to learn how to play QB. He wasn't particularly good at it in college, and now he's going to learn on the job? Seems like at least an off season of learning would be necessary for him to have a chance. Putting him out there with a mediocre supporting cast just seems guaranteed to give him mental issues and bad habits that he won't get a chance to overcome.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
That's exactly why I posted this. He has a lot of positives but he simply ain't a quarterback. If the Colts think he can become one why would they not start Minshew and let Richardson work on his mechanics ?? Personally I can't see him getting it together but it's possible. Throwing him in the fire is a bad idea. Minshew will be starting by game 8 I bet.

Reactions: Seinfeld

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It boggles my mind that there are still NFL orgs out there that are still making this mistake in 2023. Take these project guys later on, the hit rate is just too low.

In college, if all else is equal, you can go with the running QB, because that at least affords you the opportunity to make your offense go in situations where talent differential is so varied. In the NFL, if all else is equal, you really need to go with the accurate thrower, because it's valued when all the talent is equal.

Reactions: Seinfeld and patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If he turns out decent that's going to be pretty damning of Mullen and Napier.

I just can't see him making it because he apparently needs to learn how to play QB. He wasn't particularly good at it in college, and now he's going to learn on the job? Seems like at least an off season of learning would be necessary for him to have a chance. Putting him out there with a mediocre supporting cast just seems guaranteed to give him mental issues and bad habits that he won't get a chance to overcome.
If there's one thing Mullen is, it's a QB guru. I don't think I would blame this one on the guy who turned Ralph, Russell, Fitz and Trask into successful multi-year SEC starters, and turned a 3 star nobody from Louisiana who couldn't throw a spiral, into a legit NFL starter.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If he proves me wrong, I’ll raise my hand as being entirely wrong about him. That said, I expect him to be replaced as Indy’s starting QB by week 4

I was gonna say 5 games. If he proves us wrong, well done and more power to him.

If you could stick Will Rogers head on his body, you might have a future HOFer.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
What will be interesting is if they are so bad that they end up with a Top 2 pick next year. Would they really pass on Caleb Williams or Drake Maye and just hope Richardson figures it out? Man that would be a rough look if it doesn’t go as they hope.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
If there's one thing Mullen is, it's a QB guru. I don't think I would blame this one on the guy who turned Ralph, Russell, Fitz and Trask into successful multi-year SEC starters, and turned a 3 star nobody from Louisiana who couldn't throw a spiral, into a legit NFL starter.

Richardson needed the Dak plan under Mullen. 4-5 years of learning the mental part of how to be a QB. I doubt much changed on his mental game under Napier. Reading the defense is such a huge part of being a NFL QB.

Asked again Monday what is holding him back from anointing Richardson as the starter, Mullen finally decided to clarify.

“An easy [example]. … He drops back. He misses a protection check. Then misses the hot throw. Then misses the primary read. And then scrambles around and runs, and everyone thinks, ‘What a spectacular play.,'” said Mullen before shrugging.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Could he be Josh Allen lite? Lots of same questions about Allen coming out of college.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He is a project. Would be like an MLB team spending a Top 5 pick on Eric Cerantola. If he puts it together then you’ve really got something, but you better be patient, and there’s a solid chance it never works out.

He’s not going to be very good this year, their only hope is he figures it out by 2024 or 2025.
Here's the difference in Cerantola and Richardson experiment:

"RHP Eric Cerantola, 5th round (139th overall), Slot Money $398,000 but Signed for $500,000"

1692985038146.png

Reactions: Seinfeld and patdog

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
To an extent he is, but he got too fixated on trying to make certain guys HIS QB. He was SO infatuated with guys like Franks and Emory Jones and trying to WILL them to be his franchise QB that he let more talented guys like Trask and Richardson waste away on the bench. 2 years of Trask and 2 years of Richardson could have extended Danny Two Gloves tenure at UF but he had to do it his way and paid with his career.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Of course he could be. But for every Josh Allen, there's a dozen Jake Locker's.
Or even guys that had the accolades AND the hardware in college that just weren’t or haven’t been able to grasp the position in the NFL. Sam Bradford, Baker Mayfield, Manziel, Kyler Murray. The list is long

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
To an extent he is, but he got too fixated on trying to make certain guys HIS QB. He was SO infatuated with guys like Franks and Emory Jones and trying to WILL them to be his franchise QB that he let more talented guys like Trask and Richardson waste away on the bench. 2 years of Trask and 2 years of Richardson could have extended Danny Two Gloves tenure at UF but he had to do it his way and paid with his career.
I don't agree with this. Franks was the incumbent starter when he got there, and both he and Trask fought injuries. Trask ended up starting for 2 years. Then as far as Richardson goes in 2021, hell he got to play. But that's what the whole point of this sub-thread is about - it appears that Richardson is the problem here. So that would make Mullen correct for not playing him.

QB play is not why Mullen got fired. Mullen was fine until after the 2020 year when the culture eroded.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login