Any chance a Winter Olympic athlete will make a statement against China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
That would be a great bit of drama.

let’s say someone on a major podium pulls out a small sign saying “free the Uyghurs” or something like that.

How is it handled live?
Do Chinese tackle them off the podium?
What does NBC do?

would be epic

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Nope. All these athletes are into social justice except when they might have skin in the game.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Nah, Ms Pelosi already threatened them to not do it

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not if they want to leave the country safely. They could get Peng Shuai'ed, or worse.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Social statements are only for constitutional republics. Get on your skis, slide down the mountain and pack yo **** up. We's gettin outta hurr.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I used to do a lot of business in China. I had a friend / associate who was an exporter/ facilitator that I did a lot of business through. In order to work in China he was required to have a “ Chinese” partner. He and the Chinese partner got into a financial dispute about missing funds. The Chinese partner just happened to be the son of a military official so they seized my friends passport on one of his trips to China. He spent 18 months trapped in China and ended up signing everything over to his partner in order to get back home. They don’t play over there. Something I learned very quick doing business over there, it’s not a matter of if they will try to cheat you, it’s when. I f you don’t catch them then it’s you fault you were cheated

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I used to do a lot of business in China. I had a friend / associate who was an exporter/ facilitator that I did a lot of business through. In order to work in China he was required to have a “ Chinese” partner. He and the Chinese partner got into a financial dispute about missing funds. The Chinese partner just happened to be the son of a military official so they seized my friends passport on one of his trips to China. He spent 18 months trapped in China and ended up signing everything over to his partner in order to get back home. They don’t play over there. Something I learned very quick doing business over there, it’s not a matter of if they will try to cheat you, it’s when. I f you don’t catch them then it’s you fault you were cheated

I believe it.

Chinese people/culture look at things very differently than Americans. From the Chinese perspective, what you've described is thought of as being "clever" or "smart."

Chinese people have been playing these sorts of games for over 5000 years as a means for survival . . . and they are very good at it.

To the Chinese, spoken words mean absolutely nothing, and written words (e.g., a signed contract) mean next-to-nothing. They will lie right to your face and think nothing of it. From their perspective, YOU are unsophisticated and dumb for believing what they've said to you.

In order to effectively deal with a Chinese business, you MUST have some sort of leverage over them that you can implement whenever you get ready. If you don't, then you WILL get screwed over. If you don't have some leverage that will cause them serious pain, then it's just a matter of time before they jack you up.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I went in 2008. Our sponsors basically told us be careful what we say because someone is always listening and we could be jailed or worse. We were told to avoid talking politics of any kind.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I believe it.

Chinese people/culture look at things very differently than Americans. From the Chinese perspective, what you've described is thought of as being "clever" or "smart."

Chinese people have been playing these sorts of games for over 5000 years as a means for survival . . . and they are very good at it.

To the Chinese, spoken words mean absolutely nothing, and written words (e.g., a signed contract) mean next-to-nothing. They will lie right to your face and think nothing of it. From their perspective, YOU are unsophisticated and dumb for believing what they've said to you.

In order to effectively deal with a Chinese business, you MUST have some sort of leverage over them that you can implement whenever you get ready. If you don't, then you WILL get screwed over. If you don't have some leverage that will cause them serious pain, then it's just a matter of time before they jack you up.

I think it’s important to separate the beliefs and behaviors of the Chinese Communist Party from that of the overall culture of the Chinese people. Confucianism stresses honor and personal ethics and that has long been foundational to the culture. The CCP however has shown they will do anything to maintain their power. I would not visit China right now and if I had a family member participating in the Olympics I would advise them to keep their mouth shut.

EngDawg

Mar 29, 2016
It would take a very brave person to do so, would not be surprised if such a statement resulted in a very unpleasant time or worse. Would not surprise me if a few statements are made once everyone is home however.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
The idea that there is freedom of speech is a very tenuous thing. Heck it is beginning to be questionable in the US and other parts of the western world. While in China they should just win their event. Once they get out of China then they can make any statements that they want. Your culture does not follow you wherever you go. While there, you need to understand "their" ways.

To quote Eric "Otter" Stratton about making changes when you feel an injustice has occurred: "Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives."

but no one is going to do that for you as an individual athlete in the Olympics.

Last edited:

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I have in my day sailed around the world and have set foot upon 6 of the 7 continents on this planet (I'll make it to Africa one of these days) and have set foot in numerous foreign countries, both friendly and not-so-friendly and I can tell you one undeniable fact: When you set foot in a foreign country you leave ALL rights and protections of American citizenship behind. You are subject to that country's laws, rules and customs. Acquaint yourself with them and obey them or stay home. They can do whatever they damn well please to you. Don't be an ******* American in a foreign country.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I read where many of the US athletes bought “burner” phones to take with them to China instead of using their personal phones.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah I mean they are tracking what you visit snd recording activity. Definitely can hack your device connected to their network

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I have in my day sailed around the world and have set foot upon 6 of the 7 continents on this planet (I'll make it to Africa one of these days) and have set foot in numerous foreign countries, both friendly and not-so-friendly and I can tell you one undeniable fact: When you set foot in a foreign country you leave ALL rights and protections of American citizenship behind. You are subject to that country's laws, rules and customs. Acquaint yourself with them and obey them or stay home. They can do whatever they damn well please to you. Don't be an ******* American in a foreign country.

Yeah a lot of Americans don't understand this. They have this stupid though that other countries are as free as America and then open their mouth or do something stupid. They then realize how made they have it in America. You can't go around these other countries saying whatever you want like you can here. All these babies here that talk about oppression obviously never travel abroad or they are some rich celebrity or athlete snd don't see the real country

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would agree that many of the regular Chinese people I met were great. However you never know the ties to the government they have. We went to talk to a school set up by one of our Chinese friends. Before we knew four members of communist party showed up and sat in in every talk we gave. Wanted to make sure exactly what we were saying to their kids

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Nobody on this board would have the nads either

Nope. All these athletes are into social justice except when they might have skin in the game.

Talking **** about the Chinese on their soil is a good way to get disappeared. Pretty sure everyone on this board has an issue with the way the Chinese govern and not one of us would make a peep about it over there.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
thatsbaseball said:
Are you crazy? Our "athletes" only make statements against America. **

you accidentally put sarcastricks where there should be no sarcastricks.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
would be epic

An epically bad idea, yes.

To my knowledge, Olympic athletes have no legally recognized diplomatic immunity and are subject to the laws of the country they’re in.

It’s not like the world doesn’t know what’s happening to the Uyghurs. NBC spent a significant portion of the opening ceremony discussing it. Some random curler or luger on Team USA isn’t going to have any sort of impact outside of making their trip home much much harder.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
If one did, that would actually be brave versus what people claim is “brave” for speaking out here. It will just show the double standard of people because we all know they won’t even speak out when they get back, but by God they’ll happily take a knee if if it shows how bad America is! They may even earn some Chinese sponsorship if they do that.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Tbh, the whole athletes protesting at the Summer Olympics was completely overblown. For all the talk before the Games, only two athletes did anything on the podium. A female shot putter crossed her arms in an X and a fencer drew an X on the back of his hand with a Sharpie. Nobody else protested at all. It goes to show that most people are all talk.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
And I'm thankful for this

If one did, that would actually be brave versus what people claim is “brave” for speaking out here. It will just show the double standard of people because we all know they won’t even speak out when they get back, but by God they’ll happily take a knee if if it shows how bad America is! They may even earn some Chinese sponsorship if they do that.

We're free to ***** and make asses of ourselves without fear of government reaction. We're blessed that is the case and that blessing was paid for with blood. Next time you get pissed that someone doesn't share your political beliefs, be happy they are allowed to. It's far better than any alternative.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
That would be a great bit of drama.

let’s say someone on a major podium pulls out a small sign saying “free the Uyghurs” or something like that.

How is it handled live?
Do Chinese tackle them off the podium?
What does NBC do?

would be epic

Only if they are not worried about "disappearing"

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Originally Posted by thatsbaseball
Are you crazy? Our "athletes" only make statements against America. **

you accidentally put sarcastricks where there should be no sarcastricks.

^^True statement here^^ WHO'S the communist sympathizer on the board that down voted what WilCo said?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

You're right about one thing they have considered anyone who is not Chinese inferior for 5000 years. But they really got crazy about it after the atrocities they suffered from Japan in the Sino-Japanese war{20 million killed) and World War II (10 million killed). Then they killed a few more millions during their Communist takeover between 1946 and 1976. They don't care too much for diversity and social justice over there and have no problem making troublemakers enslaved or just make the disappear.

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018

I have a coworker that was arrested over what seemed like a misunderstanding at a nightclub. He still to this day doesn't know what he said or did wrong, but our CEO had to negotiate him out of jail after a couple weeks of lockdown.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I prefer athletes to stay out of politics, even when I agree with them. Run fast, jump high, score more points, etc. I’m only in it for that sort of entertainment.

Leave politics for the politicians and those paid to analyze their decisions. It makes it way easier for me to ignore it when I know exactly where I will find it.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Why do American Politician's and business continue to support China? I know money. Please don't give NBC any ratings. This Olympics is just a big PR for China. Too be honest I am really surprise the CCCP has not force You Tube to take this down. China is not our friend. They are the most dangerous country in the world.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Why do American Politician's and business continue to support China? I know money. Please don't give NBC any ratings. This Olympics is just a big PR for China. Too be honest I am really surprise the CCCP has not force You Tube to take this down. China is not our friend. They are the most dangerous country in the world.

It's called diplomatic policy and being smart. China has the power and the people to go to war with just about anyone including us and just keep at it for as long as they want. With the amount of soft people in this country it wouldn't take much for them to take us now I'm afraid. We are too concerned over peoples feelings now and other ****. If you look at empires in the past and how they met their end it's because they became more concerned over other **** than make sure their country was strong and maintaining the power they have

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Tbh, the whole athletes protesting at the Summer Olympics was completely overblown. For all the talk before the Games, only two athletes did anything on the podium. A female shot putter crossed her arms in an X and a fencer drew an X on the back of his hand with a Sharpie. Nobody else protested at all. It goes to show that most people are all talk.

Were you wanting more to speak out? Based on your asthma sentence, it appears you feel 'they' didn't do what they were supposed to do.
Who should have spoken up and didnt?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Wtf are you taking about? I was simply saying that there was a lot of hullabaloo before the Olympics about a bunch of athletes protesting. When it came down to it, hardly anybody did. I’m glad they didn’t because I don’t believe the Olympic podium is the place to protest. Why are you such an insufferable ***?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login