Any chance a Winter Olympic athlete will make a statement against China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Most politicians are in bed with the Chinese and the Russians. It's just to what extent and what they are getting in return for it that differs. To think that any politician is not playing that game is naive. Not saying it's right but there are a lot of deals being made under the table that keep certain people at levels of power wether elected to an official position or foundation leaders or business leaders. All politicians are corrupted no matter if they claim not to be.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Talking **** about the Chinese on their soil is a good way to get disappeared. Pretty sure everyone on this board has an issue with the way the Chinese govern and not one of us would make a peep about it over there.

You're a candy *** too. So I'd expect you to say that.
Personally, I'd simply boycott it. Either you're truly against it or you're not. Otherwise, keep living that fake *** story.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Wtf are you taking about? I was simply saying that there was a lot of hullabaloo before the Olympics about a bunch of athletes protesting. When it came down to it, hardly anybody did. I’m glad they didn’t because I don’t believe the Olympic podium is the place to protest. Why are you such an insufferable ***?

You did say all that. And the way you phrased it in conjuction with how I read it, your initial comment reads as if the people were too scared or whatever to follow thru on their beliefs. Your last comment is telling of that- It goes to show that most people are all talk.

So I asked you to list who. Who was 'all talk' in that situation? I genuinely dont know who claimed they would speak out and protest but didnt due to being 'all talk'.

If you were just making a general statement and phrasing it like you knew specifics, then cool- say so.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Most politicians are in bed with the Chinese and the Russians. It's just to what extent and what they are getting in return for it that differs. To think that any politician is not playing that game is naive. Not saying it's right but there are a lot of deals being made under the table that keep certain people at levels of power wether elected to an official position or foundation leaders or business leaders. All politicians are corrupted no matter if they claim not to be.

China has definitely put the money in the right pockets around the world. People and business like the NBA are addicted to their money. Foundation rules for politicians have to change as well. Being able to up a foundation, putting wife or kid in charge of it, being able to pay them what you want out of it, and being able to accept donations from any one or any country should be a crime. It's not. It is a legal form of money laundered and a round about way to gain political favors.

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Cooterpoot, the big bad tough guy.**

Either you stand up for what you believe or you puss out. Just simple facts really. How about people have a spine and not give in to their selfish ways. Olympics have been boycotted before. I simply have to assume those athletes are complicit with the human rights issues they claim to oppose.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Either you stand up for what you believe or you puss out. Just simple facts really. How about people have a spine and not give in to their selfish ways. Olympics have been boycotted before. I simply have to assume those athletes are complicit with the human rights issues they claim to oppose.

Where was the device you used to post this to SPS manufactured?

Where were its components manufactured?

Your TVs? Your appliances? The random **** around your house? The toys you buy your children?

Where do the funds in your 401k invest?

Do the companies in your stock portfolio do business in China?

Do the companies you do business with have a presence in China?

Until you’re ready to give all of that up, you’re in no position to tell anybody else, least of all an athlete that trained their entire lives for a very short window to cash in, that they’re pussing out.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
I'm pretty tired of the left and right trying to our moralize each other. I think a case can be made that Uighers in China are worse off than Jews were in Nazi Germany until 1938 (not after, of course). The Olympics were in Germany in 1936. Nobody seems to care about the Uighers but a few Republicans looking to point out some hypocricy of the other team and most Muslim nations don't care either. China is powerful and the U.S. is a major reason it's so powerful. We helped make China incredibly powerful. Tell our political and business elites to shut up about all this because they're responsible. I wish the Uigher weren't treated so poorly, I'm glad I'm not a Uigher, but I have other things to worry about. I typed this on a computer likely made in China instead of on my iPhone also made in China. BTW, there's a humanitarian crisis underway in Aghanistan with the potential for mass starvation. I wonder if our foreign policy actions over the past three-four decades have always made the world and everwhere we've intervened and bombed better off.

Last edited:

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I think it’s important to separate the beliefs and behaviors of the Chinese Communist Party from that of the overall culture of the Chinese people. Confucianism stresses honor and personal ethics and that has long been foundational to the culture. The CCP however has shown they will do anything to maintain their power. I would not visit China right now and if I had a family member participating in the Olympics I would advise them to keep their mouth shut.

I agree with everything you've said here, especially the part about separating the members of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) from the "regular" Chinese people.

However, I will also add that Confucianism (honor; personal ethics; the old/traditional ways of doing things) was essentially destroyed during the Cultural Revolution, when you had students beating up/killing teachers and sons/daughters turning in their parents to the Red Guard.

Thus, much of the honor and personal ethics of Chinese people has been greatly reduced, especially in the context of business and interacting with non-family members (e.g., strangers).

My wife is Chinese, so . . . over the years, I've interacted with many Chinese people and gotten earfuls of details/opinions regarding Chinese issues/subjects. My thoughts/statements are based upon that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login