Any of you 17ers work for TSA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Just off another 2 hour flight wearing a mask. Any idea if this insanity will continue past March 18th?

I’ve masked up and been a good soldier for 2 years but it’s time to end this war.

Will we be mask free when we fly to Omaha in mid June?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’d bet that we’ve got at least 2.5 more years of this.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Just off another 2 hour flight wearing a mask. Any idea if this insanity will continue past March 18th?

I’ve masked up and been a good soldier for 2 years but it’s time to end this war.

Is it a TSA rule or individual airlines? In any event I'd be surprised if masking on planes ends that soon. If I had to guess, I'd think they'd start doing some mask optional short (under 2 hr) flights at some point assuming we don't get another dominant variant or surge. I can't imagine them doing it within 90 days for longer flights.

I've been really fortunate and the longest I've ever had to wear a mask has been a couple hours. I still don't know how folks wear one 8 hours or more.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The number of people I have known thru the years who claimed they got a cold after flying is in the dozens. Masks could reduce transmission of all the colds and **** that get passed around in those tin cans.
I do not want there to be a permanent mask requirement when flying, so anyone thinking about creating that argument on my behalf can 17 off.

Serious question though, was that 2 hour flight really tough for you?
Somehow, my kids go to school every day and wear masks from 830 until 330. Teachers do the same. Administrators do the same. My kids dont even think twice and sometimes have their mask on still when I pick em up, they are so used to it and dont think about it.
Maybe a different mask would help your discomfort.

I do hope the requirement ends next month. Covid cases have plummeted in the US over the last 4 weeks. With that said, I wouldnt be surprised if the mandate is extended thru the spring and the justification is that we are 'almost there'.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m not going to get into the politics here, but I’ll say this. Humans were not made to wear N95 masks while running through an airport.

I just got back from some business travel last week, and I’m in reasonably decent shape, but I honestly had to stop 4-5 times at Ohare to pull my mask away from my face so that I could actually breathe.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The number of people I have known thru the years who claimed they got a cold after flying is in the dozens. Masks could reduce transmission of all the colds and **** that get passed around in those tin cans.
I do not want there to be a permanent mask requirement when flying, so anyone thinking about creating that argument on my behalf can 17 off.

Somehow, my kids go to school every day and wear masks from 830 until 330. Teachers do the same. Administrators do the same. My kids dont even think twice and sometimes have their mask on still when I pick em up, they are so used to it and dont think about it.

I do hope the requirement ends next month. Covid cases have plummeted in the US over the last 4 weeks. With that said, I wouldnt be surprised if the mandate is extended thru the spring and the justification is that we are 'almost there'.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/02/covid-19-cases-drop-40-us

COVID-19 cases drop by 40% in US

The COVID-19 surge caused by the Omicron variant continues to recede in the United States, with the nation reporting a 7-day average of 175,492 new daily cases, with 2,458 daily deaths, according to the Washington Posttracker.
New daily cases fell 42% in the past week, deaths fell 6%, and hospitalizations fell 19%.
The United States reported 32,531 new COVID-19 cases yesterday, and 441 deaths, according to the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 tracker.
The drop in cases—almost 2 years into the pandemic—has caused lawmakers across both sides of the ails to dismantle pandemic restrictions in states and cities.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I'm kind of thinking similarly to you regarding requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if the requirements change with the seasons for the next year beginning this summer.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Concur don't see this ending soon, but possibly if republicans grab a lot of power in Nov.

Republicans will be able to withhold appropriations at some point to force mask sanity, but that will probably be late summer of 2023 before that really forces the issue unless there is something democrats need before then that republicans are willing to give them.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If every there was a petri dish of potential contagions, it is airplanes, although I'm told that most of the newer plane recirculate scrubbed air at rates that are comparable to surgery suites. I suspect that the nationwide pandemic fatigue will continue to push relaxing standards as we head into midterm elections. The threat of tragic outcomes for vaccinated people is so low now that they can reasonable back off some of the requirements and help electivity while not having a huge additional negative health impact.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I've got some travel planned this summer and I seriously considered flying out of airports that only offer non-stop routes so I wouldn't have to worry about missing connecting flights.

I finally decided that I would make it a road trip a week ago.

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019
I enjoy wearing the mask…why you ask?

1. Keeps my face warm while walking to my office from my car

2. With the amount of stupid in the world my facial expressions when I’m in line at places would most certainly get me into a nice squirmish

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

If you ever have surgery, be sure and tell the surgical team That masks don't work and you don't want them wearing them.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/02/covid-19-cases-drop-40-us

COVID-19 cases drop by 40% in US

The COVID-19 surge caused by the Omicron variant continues to recede in the United States, with the nation reporting a 7-day average of 175,492 new daily cases, with 2,458 daily deaths, according to the Washington Posttracker.
New daily cases fell 42% in the past week, deaths fell 6%, and hospitalizations fell 19%.
The United States reported 32,531 new COVID-19 cases yesterday, and 441 deaths, according to the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 tracker.
The drop in cases—almost 2 years into the pandemic—has caused lawmakers across both sides of the ails to dismantle pandemic restrictions in states and cities.

Thank you for citing numbers that support my comment of- "I do hope the requirement ends next month. Covid cases have plummeted in the US over the last 4 weeks".
Adding numbers like those helps back up the claim.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
That's a 4 year goal shift

I’d bet that we’ve got at least 2.5 more years of this.

This was supposed to end election day 2020, remember? Besides, it's pretty clear that Democrats are getting hammered in the polls - and much of that is due to not being able to let go of some covid restrictions and general school closures. They aren't benefitting politically by a long shot. It wouldn't be the first time they did something self-destructive, but I doubt they are comfortable in how they positioned themselves. The correct and smart thing to do politically is kill any federal and state restriction, correlate it with Omicron tanking, and hope voters have short memories heading into mid-terms after the first normal spring and summer since 2019. Of course, this is the party that thought 'defund the police' was a smart idea - so no telling what they'll actually do.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

I'm sure airlines have intensely studied how many passengers they'd gain by changing mask policy, versus how many they'd lose. Would be interesting to see that data.

On the one hand, that airlines aren't clamoring to ease up on masks suggests they think they'd lose passengers. On the other, airlines don't seem to buck federal regulators very often, probably for a variety of reasons.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I enjoy wearing the mask…why you ask?

1. Keeps my face warm while walking to my office from my car

2. With the amount of stupid in the world my facial expressions when I’m in line at places would most certainly get me into a nice squirmish

Ha, I have benefitted from both many times.
Keeping my face warm is definitely nice, now that I have to work in person. The walk to my car when its 0-15 degrees flat out sucks and a mask makes it suck less. Once the pandemic is over, I wont wear one on that walk, but its nice to have for now.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Trade offer: I'll mask if I can keep my jacket, belt, and shoes on in security.

I hate the security line shuffle. It's annoying to basically get half undressed and even more annoying watching people do it too slowly.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
People that are symptomatic should wear a mask to try to limit droplets that they expel on people immediately in front of or behind them, but I don't think people will be appreciative of that. I think they'll be annoyed that symptomatic people are flying period so people will prefer to pretend they don't feel sick. But you're very likely just more exposed because of being in close proximity to 6 to 8 people for an extended period of time, not because of it spreading throughout the cabin.

I also think a lot of those "colds" are probably sinus issues. My nasal passages tend to dry out when I fly commercial and I used to get stuffed up regularlly after plane flights. Not sure if dry mucus membranes are more susceptible to infection or if I would touch my nose a lot more because of irritation and introduce infection, but saline spray seems to address the issue for me. Not sure the last time I got sick after a flight was although I also don't fly as much as I used to.

Wearing masks for two ours is uncomfortable for how little protection it provides. Just because lots of adults are crazy and are just engaging in minor abuse of children because it makes them feel better, I don't think people should not complain about uncomfortable measures that don't pass a cost benefit analysis.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Couple of things here:

1) Masks suck, stop trying to make the case that they don't, it just sounds too self-righteous and overly conformist.
2) Wearing them on planes indefinitely wouldn't be the worst of ideas, as the payoff is greater than the hindrance most likely.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
There will not be a super majority regardless.

A pretty big thing happened in SF last night that makes me think the woke peak is behind us. Just gotta figure out how far the pendulum will swing back the other way.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I've hit indifference. In MS there are so few places that require masks that I just keep my gaiter in my truck. If there's a sign on the door, I grab it and put it on. If not, I don't. Our schools ditched them a while back and there doesn't seem to be any noticeable spike. My wife is a teacher so I hear when things pick up and kids start missing. There is a nasty stomach flu making the rounds right now. I got shot for flu too, so I'm hoping I'm bionic at this point.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, the people doing the groping are not who you'd ever want to be groped by in any context.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

Week 120 of two weeks to flatten the curve.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
The fact that any school in the country is still forcing kids to wear masks is idiotic.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I do! Technology Student Association

Engineering focused competitions.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Thank you for citing numbers that support my comment of- "I do hope the requirement ends next month. Covid cases have plummeted in the US over the last 4 weeks".
Adding numbers like those helps back up the claim.

Why else do you think I posted it? I don't think I have disagreed with everything you have said but I guess I am still a Neanderthal compared to you.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Maybe so. Two big differences are that it was an intramural squabble and that a lot of folks thought - and I think correctly - there was a lack of focus.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If every there was a petri dish of potential contagions, it is airplanes, although I'm told that most of the newer plane recirculate scrubbed air at rates that are comparable to surgery suites. I suspect that the nationwide pandemic fatigue will continue to push relaxing standards as we head into midterm elections. The threat of tragic outcomes for vaccinated people is so low now that they can reasonable back off some of the requirements and help electivity while not having a huge additional negative health impact.

Every time the flu was going around I would come down with it after a plane ride. Unlike other transportation there isn't a good exchange of outside air. It probably should have been looked at before this but there has to be something other than masks that can make the space safer for travel.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
I’m not going to get into the politics here, but I’ll say this. Humans were not made to wear N95 masks while running through an airport.

I just got back from some business travel last week, and I’m in reasonably decent shape, but I honestly had to stop 4-5 times at Ohare to pull my mask away from my face so that I could actually breathe.

I will not get into really anything over this, but stop being a pu$sy. N95 mask are not that bad. Man, for some reason, our country is full of pu$sies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Wearing masks for two ours is uncomfortable for how little protection it provides. Just because lots of adults are crazy and are just engaging in minor abuse of children because it makes them feel better, I don't think people should not complain about uncomfortable measures that don't pass a cost benefit analysis.

You really shouldnt throw the claim of abuse around so casually. Applying it to wearing a mask is just that.

I dont really care if mine wear one, they choose to wear them to stores and its fine by me. At school they have to because of such close contact for sustained periods of time with so many others. Thats like the definition sentence of why masks are beneficial- they help reduce transmission in close spaces where you are around others for a long time.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
If you ever have surgery, be sure and tell the surgical team That masks don't work and you don't want them wearing them.

17in A. What do you people not understand about authoritarianism??? If you want to wear a 17in mask, be my 17in guest. But don't make it 17in mandatory.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Couple of things here:

1) Masks suck, stop trying to make the case that they don't, it just sounds too self-righteous and overly conformist.
2) Wearing them on planes indefinitely wouldn't be the worst of ideas, as the payoff is greater than the hindrance most likely.

I am not trying to make the case that masks dont suck. I am pointing out that kids wear em all day every day without incident so it is very much possible.
In spite of kids wearing them all day every day, I dislike wearing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login