Any of you 17ers work for TSA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Every time the flu was going around I would come down with it after a plane ride. Unlike other transportation there isn't a good exchange of outside air. It probably should have been looked at before this but there has to be something other than masks that can make the space safer for travel.

I've gotten sick so many times after flights. Masks suck but on a plane is the one place I'll gladly wear one.

The more memorable ones:

-Only time in my entire life that I can remember getting a stomach bug that caused me to throw up was the day after a flight back from San Antonio. I spent as much time in the bathroom over the next 2-3 days as I did in the bed.

-One of the few times I've had the flu, came down with it during a week long trip to Salt Lake. Those were some of the most miserable feeling days of my life, being that sick and away from home.

-Last fight I took before covid really set in, first week of March 2020, the lady next to me was coughing her head off the entire flight. She joked "I swear it's not the china virus". 3-4 days later I'm running a fever and figured I had it. Pretty sure it wasn't covid but no doubt that lady made me sick.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
This was supposed to end election day 2020, remember? Besides, it's pretty clear that Democrats are getting hammered in the polls - and much of that is due to not being able to let go of some covid restrictions and general school closures. They aren't benefitting politically by a long shot. It wouldn't be the first time they did something self-destructive, but I doubt they are comfortable in how they positioned themselves. The correct and smart thing to do politically is kill any federal and state restriction, correlate it with Omicron tanking, and hope voters have short memories heading into mid-terms after the first normal spring and summer since 2019. Of course, this is the party that thought 'defund the police' was a smart idea - so no telling what they'll actually do.

The problem is that the progressive wing of the party thinks they are benefitting from restrictions. They are in their own little echo chambers jerking each other off and don't give a **** about anyone else. Those people aren't changing their minds - they have to be brought under heel. That's not going to happen until the red wave hits.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You really shouldnt throw the claim of abuse around so casually. Applying it to wearing a mask is just that.

I dont really care if mine wear one, they choose to wear them to stores and its fine by me. At school they have to because of such close contact for sustained periods of time with so many others. Thats like the definition sentence of why masks are beneficial- they help reduce transmission in close spaces where you are around others for a long time.

It is abuse. There are multiple studies out there for you to peruse. People on all side of the political aisle are coming together on this. Only the retardiest of the progressives out there are hanging onto mask mandates in schools - and that group consists of wackadoo teachers unions and rich white people who send their kids to private schools.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
A problem with that is of course that progressives largely have control only of larger city and municipal governments so they may not be as impacted with wave voting.

Blue-state governments are largely under the control of the liberal wing meaning that states such as California and New York lifted their masking requirements for vaccinated folks earlier this month.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Very possible

The problem is that the progressive wing of the party thinks they are benefitting from restrictions. They are in their own little echo chambers jerking each other off and don't give a **** about anyone else. Those people aren't changing their minds - they have to be brought under heel. That's not going to happen until the red wave hits.

Regardless of outcome, I'll have my popcorn ready for the inevitable battle between coastal progressives and cultish magas in outdumbing each other heading into midterms.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I did Tupelo to Denver and back a few months ago and that will be my

last flight for the foreseeable future. Masked up in Tupelo airport in Tupelo at 7:00 a.m. Flew Tupelo to Nashville, to Dallas, then Denver and arrived at 3:30 Mountain so 4:30 relative to my starting time. 9 1/2 hours and I had the mask off long enough to eat some peanuts and have a drink and that sucked. I have raised my old rule of thumb about driving vs flying. Used to be if I could drive it in 5 hrs I would skip flying, its now raised to if I can drive it in 8 to maybe 10 I'll skip flying. Its got to be a damn emergency if I fly too.

And its not just the masks but they are the final straw. It's the long *** TSA lines, removing the hat and roll down the sweat band in it, removing the shoes, empty the pockets into a bowl, turn on the laptop, take off the belt, extra charges for everything, all the grouchy *** people (like me), etc etc. I'm done, **** 'em, I'll drive or won't go

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Wearing masks for two ours is uncomfortable for how little protection it provides. Just because lots of adults are crazy and are just engaging in minor abuse of children because it makes them feel better, I don't think people should not complain about uncomfortable measures that don't pass a cost benefit analysis.

I understand what you mean here. N95s work better for longer duration and I've only worn N95s when I knew I was going to be with huge groups of people (at least 500 or so) indoors for an extended amount of time.

I figured wearing that and the shots I've had would grant me a decent enough probablity edge for me to think that it'd pass my cost benefit analysis-- and so far I've not caught it.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I feel bad for your kids having to mask up all day. There’s no data that shows it’s beneficial to be masking kids at school.

Aug 22, 2012
Also, I want to feel safe so I'm not complaining about any TSA stuff, but surely there can be some innovation in this area. The faster security checks are the more flights people can take and the more money airlines can make.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The unions are actually pretty understandable when you consider that their leaders tend to be more experienced, senior teachers who are older and more likely to have medical conditions.

IOW, they're basically looking out for themselves.

Edit to add: That said, they all should have shots and boosters by now so their concerns should largely die down soon.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It is abuse. There are multiple studies out there for you to peruse. People on all side of the political aisle are coming together on this. Only the retardiest of the progressives out there are hanging onto mask mandates in schools - and that group consists of wackadoo teachers unions and rich white people who send their kids to private schools.

Ok, Tucker.
I am not for masking in the schools. I am not against masking in the schools. If they drop the mask mandate tomorrow, I wont say anything, just like I didnt say anything when they implemented the mandate after being sued(along with a handful of other districts in the state).

I can totally understand concerns at a lower level like watching the mouth for speech development and reading. Any kids with learning disabilities that could benefit from seeing the full face of others is another reason to not mask.
But kids in upper el, MS, and HS- it just isnt abusive. They walk around and learn without issue.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I feel bad for your kids having to mask up all day. There’s no data that shows it’s beneficial to be masking kids at school.

Thanks? They dont think about it and neither do I. Last time I thought about it was in December when I bought some more masks for them. My youngest has a talent for squirreling them away in odd locations.
They learn and hang out at school just like always. It really isnt an issue.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I was going to fly this summer because I figured that a 2 hour+ flight plus 2 hours in a rental car beat 15+ hours on the road.

However, adding something else to my itinerary meant I could stop at relatives and break the trip down to two 8-hour segments. That time for the second segment would be about equal to the time it would take me to drive to the nearest airport with nonstop service to where I wanted to go.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You really shouldnt throw the claim of abuse around so casually. Applying it to wearing a mask is just that.

I dont really care if mine wear one, they choose to wear them to stores and its fine by me. At school they have to because of such close contact for sustained periods of time with so many others. Thats like the definition sentence of why masks are beneficial- they help reduce transmission in close spaces where you are around others for a long time.

It’s abuse. It’s relatively minor abuse, but it is abuse. If it was really nothing to wear a mask, you wouldn’t see virtually all of the people in favor of mandating them unwilling to wear masks consistently.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It’s abuse. It’s relatively minor abuse, but it is abuse. If it was really nothing to wear a mask, you wouldn’t see virtually all of the people in favor of mandating them unwilling to wear masks consistently.

I guess I just dont throw around that word as casually as others.
Or I have a higher threshold of what I consider to be 'abuse'.
Like most things, its a spectrum of what you consider acceptable vs unacceptable(abusive being on the side of unacceptable). I will be sure to ask my kids if they feel abused by the school district tonight.

As for why some who advocate for mask wearing arent willing to follow what they push for...well I have no idea why they do that. I can tell you that it isnt surprising. Such behavior by some politicians is typical. Doesnt make it right, but it also doesnt surprise me. At this point in my life, I doubt I could count the number of times I have seen politicians not follow what they preach. Sex with minors, insider trading, destroying documents, tax evasion, illegal employment, gay rights, etc etc- I guess I am surprised when politicians do follow what they preach/legislate.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I haven't flown since COVID. Serious question are you required to where a certain kind of mask on a plane or is any face covering ok? All i have worn since this started is a very light weight MSU neck gaiter that I got for fishing to protect from the sun. It is kinda like what the baseball team used to where. There is no way in hell that thing does anything to prevent germs from coming or going. It does let the weak minded feel better though.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’m assuming your kids are older because because it is detrimental to smaller children. Just ask speech pathologists.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If you ever have surgery, be sure and tell the surgical team That masks don't work and you don't want them wearing them.

I'm not sure standing over a body cavity that has been cut open is exactly comparable, but I also think there is surprisingly equivocal data on whether they even make a difference in preventing infections during surgery.

Even if a mask mandate were effective, there's no point in having them if you are letting people wear cloth masks instead of at least surgical masks. There was a time that you wouldn't have wanted the supply of surgical masks sucked up by pepole not ina hospital (and that largely wouldn't be wearing them correctly anyway), but I think now for the limited places with mask mandates they would be available even if you required surgical masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login