Any recent chatter on when Texas and Oklahoma

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
will actually join the SEC ? There was talk about it being earlier than the original contract at one time.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I was wondering the same thing. They may be realizing they aren't quite ready for the SEC and need a little more time to get their **** together...and now the Okies have taken a gut punch that would have set them back in the Big 12 much less the SEC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think most people are expecting the 2023-2024 school year. Obviously, nothing official though.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
LOL Ironically this was posted on an OU board this afternoon

[COLOR=#656A6D !important]<time itemprop="dateCreated" datetime="2021-11-29T11:52:47" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 13.2px; font-family: inherit; vertical-align: baseline;">11-29-2021, 01:52 PM</time>

[/COLOR]

Assuming all the dire predictions with the recruiting class and possible transfers from the team happen, does this make OU at the least ambivalent about whether they go to the SEC 22/23 versus 2025? Texas isn't in much better shape. I wonder if the transition time is actually a positive for both schools to get a coach they want and think they can succeed with.

If both schools enter the SEC and are mediocre or worse does their advantage in Dallas/Fort Worth Texas recruiting take a bigger hit? Does it become harder to recruit to other areas if they are not winning initially?

Responses were about 50/50

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yeah, the Big 12 may be ready to hand them over ASAP. Between Oklahoma State and Cincinnati, there is a pretty good shot at the revamped Big 12 getting 2 teams in the playoff this year... That's some wild ****.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Since the Big 12 won their turf war with the American...

I would assume they’re going to ride it out until the end of their agreement, unless there is a break-even point where the increase in SEC revenue outweighs the buyout costs to leave.

Them leaving early was predicated on the idea that the American (with backing from ESPN) would poach enough Big 12 schools to force the Big 12 to fold.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I was wondering the same thing. They may be realizing they aren't quite ready for the SEC and need a little more time to get their **** together...and now the Okies have taken a gut punch that would have set them back in the Big 12 much less the SEC.

I’m curious how much things will change for them if they start dropping 3-5 losses every year because I think it’s a really possibility. I’m not sure if they can maintain their prestige in this conference. I think they will be similar similar to A&M. They have a huge market and plenty of money but they aren’t a perennial power house.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Big 12 really needs Oklahoma State and Cincinnati to both make the playoff and have respectable showings. That's literally their only chance to get some serious brand recognition going.

I know it seems those 2 are on top now, and that OU and Texas are waning, but it won't always be that way. I remember watching the Pokes destroy OU in 2011, and it seemed it was permanent. But the Pokes blew their shot that year too, never won anything tangible to hang their hat on, and the reality returned soon after.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login