Anybody been to see "Oppenheimer" or "Sound of Freedom" yet?

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Thinking about checking one out this weekend. I've heard both are outstanding. Oppenheimer better be damn good to hold my attention for 3+ hours.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I'm planning to see Oppenheimer but I have to go to an afternoon showing or else my wife is 100% falling asleep no matter how entertaining it is

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Plan to see Oppenheimer soon. I saw Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1 a couple of days ago. Second part comes out next June.

I didn't realize Hayley Atwell was in it. She's always been easy on the eyes. It's 2.5 to 3 hours as well. A couple of the scenes could have been shorter, one being a car chase scene but overall pretty solid movie.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Going to see Oppenheimer tomorrow. And re: it being 3 hours, why on earth don't theaters bring back intermissions? 15 minutes for bathroom, they can sell some snacks, and let everyone get their phone-checking out of their system.
We used to have an intermission for long movies a long time ago. Before we got progressive and modern movies, we had movies like Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, or Gone With the Wind where we had intermissions. Now they make movies too long where you might piss your pants, and maybe fall asleep... Or, you can use this app Pee App

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I tried to see Sound of Freeom, but they "accidentally" showed us Oppenheimer instead.

Hateful Eight had an intermission. At least the extended version did.

IIRC, Ghandi had an intermission.

But both movies were largely an homage to 60s era theater.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I tried to see Sound of Freeom, but they "accidentally" showed us Oppenheimer instead.

Hateful Eight had an intermission. At least the extended version did.

IIRC, Ghandi had an intermission.

But both movies were largely an homage to 60s era theater.
Wat? How did you accidentally see Oppenheimer?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Wat? How did you accidentally see Oppenheimer?

Dwight Schrute - “I saw "Wedding Crashers" accidentally. I bought a ticket for "Grizzly Man" and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Because that's the thing about bear attacks, they come when you least expect it.”

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Oppenheimer was quite the ladies man. I bet even Barbie wouldn't have resisted his charms.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Yep. I remember an intermission for Dances with Wolves. They should for sure bring it back
I have a habit of watching movies and then reading the book they were based on and comparing the two. Dances with Wolves was probably the closest movie to the book if ever compared with one huge discrepancy. In the movie the Indians were Sioux, in the book they were Comanche.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I have a habit of watching movies and then reading the book they were based on and comparing the two. Dances with Wolves was probably the closest movie to the book if ever compared with one huge discrepancy. In the movie the Indians were Sioux, in the book they were Comanche.
In this case, the book was based on the movie script. Blake wrote a movie script, and Costner wanted to make it. Somewhere along the line they decided to release it as a novel, and then the movie was released.

I have no idea at what point the indian tribe changed.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I was typing a response but…

In this case, the book was based on the movie script. Blake wrote a movie script, and Costner wanted to make it. Somewhere along the line they decided to release it as a novel, and then the movie was released.

I have no idea at what point the indian tribe changed.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Saw Oppenheimer today. It was very good but didn’t need to be as long as it was. The final act of the movie could’ve been much shorter.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Fat Man and Little Boy is probably the same as Oppenheimer. I will wait on it because if they put a left bend on the movie, it would piss me off.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Thinking about checking one out this weekend. I've heard both are outstanding. Oppenheimer better be damn good to hold my attention for 3+ hours.
The only time my eyes will be on msnbc. Just watched a somewhat biographical piece on him. I’d venture to say the msnbc piece is worth more of your time and money than the movie theater.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Oppenheimer is legit great. It’s a biopic of who he was and is as much about what happened to him post WWII as it is about Los Alamos.

You need to pay attention to names when they’re introduced because characters continually show up and their relevance to the man is important.

I’d say it does a fantastic job of not being left or right leaning. It just tells the story. It even does a good job of crapping on the Red Scare while at the same time telling you communism is a bad system of government.

The biggest flaw that’s shown of Oppenheimer’s character is that he lived life by Clintoninhelen’s motto… he hit it.

But don’t go in thinking it’s an action movie. Of everything Nolan’s ever made… this is a movie for grownups.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Sound of Freedom was ok as far as movies go. The message was sobering. The action was minimal and the theatrics were just ok. Caviezel was by far the best actor. His supporting cast was less than average if you ask me. However, when you think they only spent 14 million to produce it, it's understandable. IMO, people do need to see it. The reason I think the leftist liberals, the WH, and Hollywood are avoiding the subject like the plague is that they are protecting the participants who are mostly left leaning. It's basically about Epstein's Island. What went on there was grotesque. Child trafficking now leads drug smuggling worldwide. And I think there are a lot of liberal D.C. government creatures and Hollywood biggies that are involved in it and don't want the light to be shown on them.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Sound of Freedom was ok as far as movies go. The message was sobering. The action was minimal and the theatrics were just ok. Caviezel was by far the best actor. His supporting cast was less than average if you ask me. However, when you think they only spent 14 million to produce it, it's understandable. IMO, people do need to see it. The reason I think the leftist liberals, the WH, and Hollywood are avoiding the subject like the plague is that they are protecting the participants who are mostly left leaning. It's basically about Epstein's Island. What went on there was grotesque. Child trafficking now leads drug smuggling worldwide. And I think there are a lot of liberal D.C. government creatures and Hollywood biggies that are involved in it and don't want the light to be shown on them.

Hey, you got any good pizza place recommendations for Washington DC, or perhaps ones to avoid?

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022
Dwight Schrute - “I saw "Wedding Crashers" accidentally. I bought a ticket for "Grizzly Man" and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Because that's the thing about bear attacks, they come when you least expect it.”
This my friend is a good post. And I mean that.'least expect it" made me belly laugh ( Ive been drinking though )

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Fat Man and Little Boy is probably the same as Oppenheimer. I will wait on it because if they put a left bend on the movie, it would piss me off.
PSA : Oppenheimer was suspected of being a Communist.
Oppenheimer is legit great. It’s a biopic of who he was and is as much about what happened to him post WWII as it is about Los Alamos.

You need to pay attention to names when they’re introduced because characters continually show up and their relevance to the man is important.

I’d say it does a fantastic job of not being left or right leaning. It just tells the story. It even does a good job of crapping on the Red Scare while at the same time telling you communism is a bad system of government.

The biggest flaw that’s shown of Oppenheimer’s character is that he lived life by Clintoninhelen’s motto… he hit it.

But don’t go in thinking it’s an action movie. Of everything Nolan’s ever made… this is a movie for grownups.

Also, Nola is not an " action movie director/creator". Because he did a Batman series, lots seem to have that opinion (Stephen Cheah).

He makes movies that make you think.

Following (1998)
Memento (2000)
Insomnia (2002)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Prestige (2006)
The Dark Knight (2008)
Inception (2010)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Interstellar (2014)
Dunkirk (2017)
Tenet (2020)
Oppenheimer (2023)

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Going to see Oppenheimer tomorrow. And re: it being 3 hours, why on earth don't theaters bring back intermissions? 15 minutes for bathroom, they can sell some snacks, and let everyone get their phone-checking out of their system.
Please use this as an acceptable countermeasure to intermissions: Run Pee

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
PSA : Oppenheimer was suspected of being a Communist.

Also, Nola is not an " action movie director/creator". Because he did a Batman series, lots seem to have that opinion (Stephen Cheah).

He makes movies that make you think.

Following (1998)
Memento (2000)
Insomnia (2002)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Prestige (2006)
The Dark Knight (2008)
Inception (2010)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Interstellar (2014)
Dunkirk (2017)
Tenet (2020)
Oppenheimer (2023)
It didn't matter if it had a slant. Oppenheimer made $174 Milliion worldwide.

Barbie made $334 million worldwide. Huge

Woke or not, people watch what they want to see. I think they could not refuse an opportunity to see that much eye candy in one movie, both male and female.

We will see if both movies have legs. They both did not have a zillion-dollar production and marketing budget. Maybe Hollywood will learn something, but I doubt it. Big-budget movies have bombed before, but they keep trying to make them. I think the moral of the story to attract today's moviegoers, you need lots of eye candy or a good story.

P.S. neither movie was a superhero movie.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
My fat a$$ is spoiled now, so I have to ask, does Oppenheimer have cinematic scenes that NEED to be seen in the theater? A 3 hour flick makes me want to wait until that hits streaming.
Yeah I think so, in several scenes (spoiler alert: a big bomb goes off). Plus it's cool to get the quality sound with all that. I don't think Oppenheimer is the best movie ever made or anything, but it's high quality & it held my attention for three hours. Also, there's tiddies.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Barbie made more money in the South than Oppenheimer even though Barbie doesn't blow up anything.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Does his nephew still teach at State?
Wait, was he really his nephew? I had an Oppenheimer, didn't realize that if its true. There was a husband and wife both with the Oppenheimer name. Was this Frank's children?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login