Anybody got any of that Lebby upside?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It was a longshot. If not for Lebby it would never have even been possible. I was hopeful but if he was my son I woulda told him go to Oregon. See Bo Nix. See Gardner Minshew. Go west young man. Lebby will get it rolling here. Not this year tho

patdog

May 28, 2007
This isn’t gonna happen overnight. Our roster is a disaster. The idea we had a shot at Gabriel is hilarious.
We have many much bigger needs than another portal QB right now. Looking at a list of players we’re supposedly targeting / are interested in us posted on another site, it doesn’t look good.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
We have many much bigger needs than another portal QB right now. Looking at a list of players we’re supposedly targeting / are interested in us posted on another site, it doesn’t look good.
Maybe a few posters/fans need to check out for a couple years. It’s pretty obvious who doesn’t like the hire and are hell bent at whining any chance they get.

It was going to be a rebuild regardless of who we hired so don’t know what people were expecting. And Shapen is better than any qb we’ve had on the roster in the past 4 years. And in Lebby’s system he’ll look better than he previously has.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe a few posters/fans need to check out for a couple years. It’s pretty obvious who doesn’t like the hire and are hell bent at whining any chance they get.

It was going to be a rebuild regardless of who we hired so don’t know what people were expecting. And Shapen is better than any qb we’ve had on the roster in the past 4 years. And in Lebby’s system he’ll look better than he previously has.
I do wonder why folks can’t just be in wait and see mode (while supporting the program in the process). I didn’t like the direction we went but I’m not gonna sit here and say it won’t work out.

Lebby may be another Leach for all I know. I think landing Shapen was good. And as far as the roster, after looking at it, we may not be plumb awful. It’s inexperienced, but we have a little age and talent. Just hasnt gotten on the field due to all the COVID guys. In other words, the “rebuild” may not be as extensive as many think (many of them just hate Leach).

I wish our fanbase was better, because we have to be, in order to get ahead. But they aren’t, by and large we have a bunch of ungrateful moronic bltches who only see MSU sports for what it can do for them. I’m just grateful we have the baseball faction (not the average Joe fan who bltches about muh GA seating) who shows up and puts their money where their mouth is.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We need a whole new team and without someone that can build and keep guys we won't be able to attract top talent. Portal and nil and the Arnett debacle killed our program. Wrong time to be bad. It's going to be hard to climb out of this hole. Our good players gonna go to better programs and good players won't want to come here

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
View attachment 473501

But hey...there was a cool flame thrower and a light show at the airport when he got here...
I’m not convinced that Lebby is ready to run a P5 program. Sue me. Asking a greenhorn to run a challenging situation like State (c.f., Arnett) is risky. Mullen did it passably. SloMo didn’t. We shall see with Lebby. It sucks that he isn’t attracting talent among assistants or the portal either one.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
We need a whole new team and without someone that can build and keep guys we won't be able to attract top talent. Portal and nil and the Arnett debacle killed our program. Wrong time to be bad. It's going to be hard to climb out of this hole. Our good players gonna go to better programs and good players won't want to come here
You got it. THe Arnett deal was a nuclear bomb and people just haven’t figured it out yet. they burned it to the ground because they hated the way Leach did things, but we don’t have the cash to rebuild and not get passed up in this environment. it’s really going to set this program back.

I’ll tell you what else, Lasoya , Nicholson and Ellington matter because we have to pay to replace those guys with a limited budget.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I’m not convinced that Lebby is ready to run a P5 program. Sue me. Asking a greenhorn to run a challenging situation like State (c.f., Arnett) is risky. Mullen did it passably. SloMo didn’t. We shall see with Lebby. It sucks that he isn’t attracting talent among assistants or the portal either one.
Bngo. The issue going with inexperience in this era. Mullen was a different era. Lot of risk when our program was nuked by Keenum and Arnett last December/january

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Maybe I'm crazy but I think Shapen is a really nice pull for the position we are in and a great start for year 1.

Now if you truly expected Gabriel you won't see it that way, but you also are probably delusional.
Then we have knuckleheads on jeans and ED claiming Gabriel was on campus yesterday and they saw him eating pizza with Lebby.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
There's two ways to make decisions on shìt that will stick around in this world...

#1 You grab a handful of shìt and fling it against the wall and wait to see which turd, if any will stick.

#2 You sort through a pile of shìt and pick the perfect turd and delicately place it on the wall and hope it sticks.

Make no mistake gents, our AD's have been slinging handfuls of shìt against the wall for a while now... Luckily they seem to be grabbing a handful more quickly. Lebby seems to be on board too, those defensive hires are a big handful of shìt and now we have to hope to get lucky and have one stick.

But I guess that's better than when Templeton hired Croom and delicately place that turd on the wall and watched it immediately fall only to spend years hoping it would magically jump back on the wall.

Let's hope Lebby is a sticky turd.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I do wonder why folks can’t just be in wait and see mode (while supporting the program in the process). I didn’t like the direction we went but I’m not gonna sit here and say it won’t work out.

Lebby may be another Leach for all I know. I think landing Shapen was good. And as far as the roster, after looking at it, we may not be plumb awful. It’s inexperienced, but we have a little age and talent. Just hasnt gotten on the field due to all the COVID guys. In other words, the “rebuild” may not be as extensive as many think (many of them just hate Leach).

I wish our fanbase was better, because we have to be, in order to get ahead. But they aren’t, by and large we have a bunch of ungrateful moronic bltches who only see MSU sports for what it can do for them. I’m just grateful we have the baseball faction (not the average Joe fan who bltches about muh GA seating) who shows up and puts their money where their mouth is.
I think landing Shapen was always about as good as we were going to be able to do. And a pretty good pickup, despite what a lot are saying. It was always going to be a 2-year rebuild. Roster needs a lot of turnover. Can’t judge Lebby on next fall.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Lebby is closer to Mullen than Arnett. Who knows if he is ready but he has done it at multiple power five programs including the sec. Just like Mullen.

Reactions: DerHntr and eckie1

Ddawg69

Dec 27, 2019
I think landing Shapen was always about as good as we were going to be able to do. And a pretty good pickup, despite what a lot are saying. It was always going to be a 2-year rebuild. Roster needs a lot of turnover. Can’t judge Lebby on next fall.

Exactly. He's a sitting P5 starter. He's not leaving Baylor because he can't beat out Sawyer Robertson. He seems more upside for himself with Lebby and that should be intriguing for us since he's always played for a defensive minded HC

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Wait and see is definitely the best route. I like the potential that Lebby has. A lot of the same people who are whining about every single thing are ones who were completely on board last year and pumped about many of the assistant hires.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Who would’ve been the experienced hire in today’s college football landscape?
It was Jamey Chadwell or bust for a lot of people. Chadwell obviously isn’t leaving Liberty for anyone this year so that was always a pipe dream.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Yep. I'm a few steps from calling him a bust but fact is this hire was spun as our shot at working the portal and significantly upgrading talent quickly. System that is attractive to QBs and WRs combined with an allegedly hefty NIL fund means Lebby would bring in some key tools quickly. I'm probably being impatient and there's still a chance that pans out but I'm skeptical. Every development to date has been underwhelming at best.

Today I'm being told to be patient and it's going to take a while. Had that been the advertised approach, I'd rather us have hired an experienced G5 staff that has built out a program versus letting green guys get their feet wet in an SEC landscape. This better work.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008

I think Mullen was more than "passable". I believe he is the second best winningest coach in our history.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I’m not blaming Lebby. This is simply the NIL era and no matter how much money we raise, we will always take a backseat to richer schools. “Buuuttt we rayzed 4 miyon dollers.” We need 40…

Reactions: kired

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Bngo. The issue going with inexperience in this era. Mullen was a different era. Lot of risk when our program was nuked by Keenum and Arnett last December/january
C’mon, man!! At least we retained muh crootin class!!!**** And many will leave at their first chance. HS recruiting is probably the least important part of any program like us anymore. Any good ones we get will be looking for more and more money year to year….

Keenum 17’d us pretty good with the Arnett hire. And he’ll never be held accountable for it.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
It’s likely going to be at least year 3 before noticeable improvements are made. He has all the ability to coach an offense that can help win games where the defense is struggling. Basically just score more points. The transitions that have been made the past 4-5 coaches aren’t exactly complimentary to each other as far as systems go. Anybody that is a “I want it now” type person is going to go crazy if they’re a State fan the next few years.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Just another lazy State hire.

State is traveling the Southern Miss route…

1. Iconic Coach leaves (Fedora to Carolina /Leach to the Afterlife)
2. Defensive Coordinator Hired (Ellis/Arnett)
3. Team Sucks Mightily in the first year
4. Coach is fired
5. Wilderness time

At least State has the SEC… however long that lasts.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

“Lebby may be another Leach for all I know”. man, you’re just trolling at this point

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Agreed wholeheartedly.

Just another lazy State hire.

State is traveling the Southern Miss route…

1. Iconic Coach leaves (Fedora to Carolina /Leach to the Afterlife)
2. Defensive Coordinator Hired (Ellis/Arnett)
3. Team Sucks Mightily in the first year
4. Coach is fired
5. Wilderness time

At least State has the SEC… however long that lasts.
Well, at least Mississippi State is familiar with the “wilderness”. We spent 40 years in the wilderness the last time we were there. I have serious doubts as to if college football will still be around 40 years from now with the way things are going. It’s headed towards Armageddon with NIL and free agency. If they expect the fans to continue to give our own money to buy players who just transfer out for a bigger payday that’s going to get old very quickly-it’s already gotten old for a lot of us.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Well, at least Mississippi State is familiar with the “wilderness”. We spent 40 years in the wilderness the last time we were there. I have serious doubts as to if college football will still be around 40 years from now with the way things are going. It’s headed towards Armageddon with NIL and free agency. If they expect the fans to continue to give our own money to buy players who just transfer out for a bigger payday that’s going to get old very quickly-it’s already gotten old for a lot of us.
Being familiar with the wilderness isn’t the same as liking the wilderness…

Just Say No to Camping.

IMG_8359.jpeg

($1 to Watterson)

Reactions: patdog

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

You’re right about our fans needing to be better. Getting better takes commitment and buy-in on a level that we haven’t seen. We don’t have as many whale donors as other programs but we have enough people to make an impact if everyone would just buy in. Even if our admins make mistakes on staff hires there should still be a talent base for new coaches to succeed with.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Fatboy

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Shapen is good. He dang sure has more arm talent than just about anyone I have seen in a Bulldog uniform. The dude has a friggin howitzer.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login