Anybody got any of that Lebby upside?

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Holy 17, he’s been on the job what - a little under 2 weeks? And some are ready to call him a bust? Geez
I certainly wouldn't call him a bust. It feels to me it will be either feast for famine. We never know....he may be the best young up and coming coach ever seen. Maybe he sees the assistants capabilities and energy we don't see. Maybe he's a visionary that many programs have been looking for. I for one certainly hope so.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I don’t think I ever really believed we’d be able to drastically fix the roster in one offseason. Going to take gradual improvement to start attracting better and better players.

I’m a big believer in Lebby the offensive mind so I’m curious to see what he does in Year 1 with whoever we have suiting up. And then we’ll reassess from there.

There is no reasonable way to judge him this soon into the career given the problems he inherited that were in place before he stepped off the plane.

Nobody in their right mind should be expecting us to contend for the Playoff next year. Heck, 6-6 or 7-5 would probably be a big positive. Just want to see general excitement, competitiveness, and a sense that we are moving in the right direction, a la 2009 Dan Mullen.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
So what is our current QB room? A simple list will do.
Assuming Shapen gets on campus there is him and Parson, both of whom should be good. There’s also Mike Wright. There are a few others you haven’t heard of and will probably never start. You never know which player will shape out to be a stud but Lebby has spent his career succeeding without five star talent and the helm of his offense and our QB room should be able to get the job done.

Imadick

Jan 18, 2009
I do wonder why folks can’t just be in wait and see mode (while supporting the program in the process). I didn’t like the direction we went but I’m not gonna sit here and say it won’t work out.

Lebby may be another Leach for all I know. I think landing Shapen was good. And as far as the roster, after looking at it, we may not be plumb awful. It’s inexperienced, but we have a little age and talent. Just hasnt gotten on the field due to all the COVID guys. In other words, the “rebuild” may not be as extensive as many think (many of them just hate Leach).

I wish our fanbase was better, because we have to be, in order to get ahead. But they aren’t, by and large we have a bunch of ungrateful moronic bltches who only see MSU sports for what it can do for them. I’m just grateful we have the baseball faction (not the average Joe fan who bltches about muh GA seating) who shows up and puts their money where their mouth is.
Well some of us have been “waiting and seeing” 60+ years!

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Or the difference between Coach Prime & a Coach from Amazon Prime*****
Tonight Show Oh Lord GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Yep. I'm a few steps from calling him a bust but fact is this hire was spun as our shot at working the portal and significantly upgrading talent quickly. System that is attractive to QBs and WRs combined with an allegedly hefty NIL fund means Lebby would bring in some key tools quickly. I'm probably being impatient and there's still a chance that pans out but I'm skeptical. Every development to date has been underwhelming at best.

Today I'm being told to be patient and it's going to take a while. Had that been the advertised approach, I'd rather us have hired an experienced G5 staff that has built out a program versus letting green guys get their feet wet in an SEC landscape. This better work.
That's not what people are telling you.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
When I saw the first list that was leaked I thought Lebby was the most realistic one on it. I also thought he was probably the best one on it. Once again the OC at Oklahoma in reality, is a bigger job than the HC at Tulane or Troy. Do we know how he will do running a program in the Power Two (maybe Four)? No. But that also goes for a G5 head man. I can't think of many of those that did all that well in the last 15 years or so in the P5 either. Certainly not at a place like MSU.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
People here need to chill the 17 out. So many had raging hard boners for Arnett from last December until August. I think there was only one prediction of a losing season on the prediction thread and it was by the most negative troll on the board. The fact that a few posters are calling this hire a bust has zilch predictive value.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So what is our current QB room? A simple list will do.
Currently looks like it will be this group:
Blake Shapen
Chris Parsons
Michael Van Buren
Mike Wright (though I expect him to use his grad year to transfer)

These guys are also listed on the online roster:
Vic Sutton
Jake Weir
Asher Morgan

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Currently looks like it will be this group:
Blake Shapen
Chris Parsons
Michael Van Buren
Mike Wright (though I expect him to use his grad year to transfer)

These guys are also listed on the online roster:
Vic Sutton
Jake Weir
Asher Morgan

I think there’s a good chance we add a transfer QB. Not a big, proven name, but a younger guy with upside. Like a Ty Simpson type if he enters the portal. And yeah, I’d be a little surprised if Wright is still on the team in August.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login