Anybody here into restoring old cars?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'm doing my second Bronco right now. I'm curious if anyone has put EFI on an old car. I'm keeping the original engine in this one and just considering different options. I'm no pro at this, so it's a learn as I go deal sometimes.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm doing my second Bronco right now. I'm curious if anyone has put EFI on an old car. I'm keeping the original engine in this one and just considering different options. I'm no pro at this, so it's a learn as I go deal sometimes.
I know a guy here who recently restored an old bronco. Not going to speak for him, but it's gorgeous. Maybe he'll pop in and share his experience.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
EFI systems, from what I gather are pretty easy to install. I believe they require an electronic fuel pump and fuel pump module and a couple other modifications as well, but once you get it set up and get the basic programming running, they make the vehicle much easier to adjust for changes in elevation, temperature, humidity, etc.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
On older v8’s I’ve seen the Holley EFI system used with mixed results. It’s the simplest solution for what you’re doing. It’s essentially a throttle body injection system, not port injection. Depending on year bronco, adding more modern port efi manifolds can affect hood clearance.

Keep in mind, many efi conversions mean new throttle cables/brackets, computer, wiring, higher pressure fuel pump, different filters, new air box, oxygen sensor(s) in exhaust, and so forth. Depending on the setup, I’ve seen efi manifolds that were slightly bigger than carb manifolds which meant either shaving the flange(which is tricky) and/or having to change out distributors and belt drives to more modern setups, which also means water pump, PS pump, alternator, etc gets changed, too. Do your homework on this because it can get expensive just to eliminate a carb.
If keeping originality intact is important to you, I’d keep it simple. If going to efi, consider the Holley or a crate efi engine.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I did a few Jeeps and a Harley Davidson Servi Car back years ago. I never did the EFI conversion but I probably would today. By the way, a restoration is returning it to factory new. Changing anything that wasn’t original is a refurbishment or a restomod. Guys that do actual restorations get really defensive about the term. I did one restoration and several refurbishments, I’ll never do another full blown restoration. They are too much tedious work and probably cost 50% to 100% more than a refurbishment I also restored my late fathers tractor, the single most expensive item on the entire build was the steering wheel center cap that said Power Steering rather than International. They only made this one or two years and there was no reproductions. I finally found a company that would make a one off. I was too cheap to buy it but my wife bought it for me for my birthday one year. Probably the best birthday present she’s ever bought.

Attachments

• BDBE0686-0D89-4522-AEB7-6561E2855F32.jpeg
    BDBE0686-0D89-4522-AEB7-6561E2855F32.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 14

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
This one is a 302 engine with only about 30,000 original miles. It's in good shape. Adding a fuel pump, return line, O2 sensor, annd larger fuel lines are pretty easy. Broncos are really simple rides. I just have to find a body person because body work ain't my thing and it's got a little rust here and there. The intake allows for both 2 and 4 barrel setups. It was running a 1/2 inch carb spacer already, so clearance should be good.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I did a few Jeeps and a Harley Davidson Servi Car back years ago. I never did the EFI conversion but I probably would today. By the way, a restoration is returning it to factory new. Changing anything that wasn’t original is a refurbishment or a restomod. Guys that do actual restorations get really defensive about the term. I did one restoration and several refurbishments, I’ll never do another full blown restoration. They are too much tedious work and probably cost 50% to 100% more than a refurbishment I also restored my late fathers tractor, the single most expensive item on the entire build was the steering wheel center cap that said Power Steering rather than International. They only made this one or two years and there was no reproductions. I finally found a company that would make a one off. I was too cheap to buy it but my wife bought it for me for my birthday one year. Probably the best birthday present she’s ever bought.
Resto-mod is a better term. Fenders were already cut and a big bumpers on it when I got it.

Reactions: oxdawg

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Resto-mods are my favorite. It’s the best of both worlds. If it’s a true restoration I almost feel guilty driving it because it’s more a museum artifact than something you can enjoy lighting the tires on.

Aug 22, 2012
I have access to an old 73 model Triumph TR6. Needs rewiring and some motor service because it hasn’t been cranked in 7 years. Last owner parked it because “something was running down the battery and I just got pissed off and tired of fooling with it “. Other than that is in good shape as far as I can tell. The google machine tells me that there is a guy in Olive Branch that somewhat specializes in these cars. Any advice…..dos or donts? And yes I know the triumph cars were British Leyland crap but it does look cool.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I have access to an old 73 model Triumph TR6. Needs rewiring and some motor service because it hasn’t been cranked in 7 years. Last owner parked it because “something was running down the battery and I just got pissed off and tired of fooling with it “. Other than that is in good shape as far as I can tell. The google machine tells me that there is a guy in Olive Branch that somewhat specializes in these cars. Any advice…..dos or donts? And yes I know the triumph cars were British Leyland crap but it does look cool.
There's a guy in Meridian with a nice one for sale. Wants $9500 for it.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Slight thread hijack...
What's a ballpark cost for recovering the bottom of truck seats and fold down center console? It's leather and on a 2004 Ram 2500.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Finding body people to work on old cars has gotten damn tough. Everybody wants that insurance money now. The guy that did my last one got out, so I'll be looking for that next.

Feb 4, 2015
I installed the Holley super sniper on my pro charged 67 Camaro two years ago with a custom tune from the vendor. I couldn’t get it to keep from running extremely rich even having the vendor to do a remote tune on it sold it and bought me another custom blow through carb. Much better now. Now I will say this,if it’s for a stock or mildly modified NA engine then personally I think the EFI would be great. It’s just my application that caused me fits. They come with the plug-in handheld tuner so you can go into the system to set it up and also make changes. I did mine with a laptop but to no avail. There are quite a few companies offering the EFI setups and I would google the reviews on them before I purchased one. If I ever build another engine and go away from power adders such as what I have I would probably buy another EFI setup.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I installed the Holley super sniper on my pro charged 67 Camaro two years ago with a custom tune from the vendor. I couldn’t get it to keep from running extremely rich even having the vendor to do a remote tune on it sold it and bought me another custom blow through carb. Much better now. Now I will say this,if it’s for a stock or mildly modified NA engine then personally I think the EFI would be great. It’s just my application that caused me fits. They come with the plug-in handheld tuner so you can go into the system to set it up and also make changes. I did mine with a laptop but to no avail. There are quite a few companies offering the EFI setups and I would google the reviews on them before I purchased one. If I ever build another engine and go away from power adders such as what I have I would probably buy another EFI setup.
The system supposedly sets it up for you now, when you put in the make, model, etc. etc.
Everyone says it's easy. I agree with you, generally problems arise from application. I've had fits with carbs, from vapor lock to just general setup. The engine compartment gets so hot in the Bronco being small and little room from larger fans etc. (Lok at me talking myself into EFI lol).

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
My next door neighbor was in to Triumph’s and Austin Healy’s years ago. He said that they needed rewiring when they come off the factory floor. He moved on to Miata’s and said he should have done it years earlier. He currently has a Miata that’s producing over 450hp, it’s scary.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
10 years ago, put an EFI on a resto-modded mid 60s classic with a V-8. Had nothing but trouble with it. Eventually removed the EFI and trashed it. Replaced with modernized carb and it’s bullet-proof. I’ve been told that newer versions are reliable, but I don’t trust those MFers.

Aug 22, 2012
My next door neighbor was in to Triumph’s and Austin Healy’s years ago. He said that they needed rewiring when they come off the factory floor. He moved on to Miata’s and said he should have done it years earlier. He currently has a Miata that’s producing over 450hp, it’s scary.
I know they are crap but tired of seeing this thing in my driveway without doing anything to save it. Wife brought it into the marriage, drove it several times before she parked it and said screw it. Just waiting on me to fix it. Trying to figure out the best battle plan to do so

your friend is right. They do need re-wiring as soon as they rolled out of factory. Actually about as simple a harness as they come. 16 points and that’s it. Just now trying to decide whether or not to try on my own or find someone to tackle what I hope to be a simple restore. I just want to be able to drive it. Not worried about it being a show car

Last edited:

oxdawg

Mar 3, 2008
I just completed restoring a ‘70. It’s the one Drebin is referencing. So far, I have stayed with the carb. I have a friend who helped me and he restored one at the same time. He put a Holley Sniper on his. It’s not that difficult. Requires electric fuel pump,fuel pressure gauge, return line and wiring. All of it is easy even the wiring. Follow the instructions on the self tune and you should be good. However, after two months he had an issue. Holley wouldn’t swap it even though it was new. Made him send it on for repair. That was in September and he still hasn’t received it back from Holley. He built his to sell so he bought a refurbished one and installed it. Sold it on bring a trailer in November. Might get a deal on his once he gets it back from Holley. I’ve heard good things about the Edelbrock system. Can’t remember the name. Comes with intake and costs about $2,400. Sniper is about $1,400.

Reactions: Drebin

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
There are lot of EFI kits out there. There are also more people who have managed to program factory EFI computers. I’ve read a lot and talked to several folks, and it’s just not the easy plug and play solution that it’s made out to be.

It’s hard to bea carb on a mild classic V8.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I just completed restoring a ‘70. It’s the one Drebin is referencing. So far, I have stayed with the carb. I have a friend who helped me and he restored one at the same time. He put a Holley Sniper on his. It’s not that difficult. Requires electric fuel pump,fuel pressure gauge, return line and wiring. All of it is easy even the wiring. Follow the instructions on the self tune and you should be good. However, after two months he had an issue. Holley wouldn’t swap it even though it was new. Made him send it on for repair. That was in September and he still hasn’t received it back from Holley. He built his to sell so he bought a refurbished one and installed it. Sold it on bring a trailer in November. Might get a deal on his once he gets it back from Holley. I’ve heard good things about the Edelbrock system. Can’t remember the name. Comes with intake and costs about $2,400. Sniper is about $1,400.
What carb you running? Edelbrock? Seems everyone runs Edelbrock except off-roaders. I've had nothing but a two barrel due to off-roading and Edelbrock doesn't really have one.
Only reason I was even looking at EFI is because I'm about to replace fuel lines etc anyway.

Last edited:

oxdawg

Mar 3, 2008
What carb you running? Edelbrock? Seems everyone runs Edelbrock except off-roaders. I've had nothing but a two barrel due to off-roading and Edelbrock doesn't really have one.
Only reason I was even looking at EFI is because I'm about to replace fuel lines etc anyway.
I’m running a Holley 2bbl. It’s the original motor that I had rebuilt. It has the original intake and it was a 2bbl so I stayed with it to save money. Runs great. I installed the 23 gallon tank with regular fuel lines and manual fuel pump.

JesterB

Mar 3, 2008
Ever considered converting to propane instead? It’s pretty straightforward and you get the advantages of a pressurized system At probably half the cost. Plus, for a vehicle not being driven much there’s no worries of stale gas. Propane has an effective octane rating of about 114 so you’ll need to gap the plugs and retard the sheet out of the timing. But other than that it’s pretty much bolt on and go. Just an interesting option. I’m no Hank Hill.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Slight thread hijack...
What's a ballpark cost for recovering the bottom of truck seats and fold down center console? It's leather and on a 2004 Ram 2500.
I just got a price from a guy in DeSoto county to do my leather seat on an 05 GMC, it was $200 and that includes a new seat heater.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Don't know if this will help but there's a guy on youtube that does this on a chevy chevelle, (Vice Grip Garage). I thought I remembered him doing it on a Bronco but couldn't find it. Here's a link.

JesterB

Mar 3, 2008
Another slight thread hijack. I’m currently fixing up a 97 Z71 extended cab to be my son’s first truck. The leather interior seat bottoms need to be recovered. Anyone have a good aftermarket option? To make it MSU related, the truck is maroon on maroon and nicknamed The Dude.

oxdawg

Mar 3, 2008
I just got a price from a guy in DeSoto county to do my leather seat on an 05 GMC, it was $200 and that includes a new seat heater.
Can you give me the guy’s name and number? I’m trying to get my ‘70 Bronco seats redone in white. I’m in Olive Branch. Every quote I have gotten has been ridiculous!

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'd prefer to stick with a carb but not having easy access to non-ethanol fuel is making it hard for me to decide. A carb is going to foul up on ethanol fuel no matter what you do. EFI can better handle it.

oxdawg

Mar 3, 2008
I'd prefer to stick with a carb but not having easy access to non-ethanol fuel is making it hard for me to decide. A carb is going to foul up on ethanol fuel no matter what you do. EFI can better handle it.
If you periodically run fuel additive through it you should be fine.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'm good friends with a guy in Fort Worth but I'm guessin' you ain't in my neck of the woods but I've never known a more knowledgeable guy who can literally build a vehicle from the ground up. He modified a '56 Chevy that has 715 HP brand new 8 cylinder engine and can top 100 MPH in the 1/8th. It's totally modified for drag racing. He's also into electronics, dude makes his own atomizers for his vape pipe. Rod's Chevy Full Car.jpg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Check out the driver's side wheel coming outta the gate. I've driven trucks, raced motocross and driven tractors in the MS Delta but I've never had the schit scared outta me like he did when he took me for a spin. My Bad, can't get the video to work showing him top 100 MPH in the 1/8th.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login