Anybody know the deal with the big data breach ?

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Virtually Everyone’s information has been stolen by this point. It’s the new normal. Mine was stolen in one of the first hacks ever at the VA. I just have LifeLock and keep an eye on it

Reactions: Bulldog45

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
My info has been stolen so many times I've lost count. I use a couple of different identify monitoring services to help me nip anyone potentially ripping me off.

Reactions: HRMSU and Ranchdawg

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
My info has been stolen so many times I've lost count. I use a couple of different identify monitoring services to help me nip anyone potentially ripping me off.
Which ones do you use and which one service would you recommend?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
My employer offers it through ID Shield but for free, all the major credit card companies offer some type of credit monitoring which is the biggest risk to me.

I just assume they already have my info. I want to know if they open accounts in my name.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog and HRMSU

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
My employer offers it through ID Shield but for free, all the major credit card companies offer some type of credit monitoring which is the biggest risk to me.

I just assume they already have my info. I want to know if they open accounts in my name.
I have a real common name. When I bought a house back in 2017 or so we did all the credit and background checks and somebody in Houston bought a car in 2009 or so that was somehow showing up on my credit report. The guy made perfect payments and paid that baby off in 2014.

Not sure if it was a glitch or identity theft, but I ain't mad about it either way.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I was recently digging through an old military box of junk and found some paperwork from when I returned from deployment. I had the names, DOB, and social security numbers of an entire battalion in there. Pretty sure we all had a copy of that roster put in our files.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I was recently digging through an old military box of junk and found some paperwork from when I returned from deployment. I had the names, DOB, and social security numbers of an entire battalion in there. Pretty sure we all had a copy of that roster put in our files.
My daughter wanted one of my dog tags. I told her she has to wait until I am dead. It actually has my SSN on it. Along with my gas mask size, religion and blood type.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I have a real common name. When I bought a house back in 2017 or so we did all the credit and background checks and somebody in Houston bought a car in 2009 or so that was somehow showing up on my credit report. The guy made perfect payments and paid that baby off in 2014.

Not sure if it was a glitch or identity theft, but I ain't mad about it either way.
I have an uncle named John Davis who used to travel a lot for work. Going through airport security, it never failed that he would be detained for secondary inspection. For years he would ask why, and nobody would give him an answer. It was strange to him. After all, he has no criminal history at all.

Finally, a friendly TSA agent laughed and told him, “It’s your name, man.” I imagine that was frustrating.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I use Allstate Identity Protection which is subsidized through my employer. We also use LastPass for our password management and that includes monitoring and recommendations for when to change passwords, if you are at risk, dark web monitoring, etc. It's a real eye opener for how online our lives are when you see your dashboard of accounts.

Reactions: HRMSU

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I use Allstate Identity Protection which is subsidized through my employer. We also use LastPass for our password management and that includes monitoring and recommendations for when to change passwords, if you are at risk, dark web monitoring, etc. It's a real eye opener for how online our lives are when you see your dashboard of accounts.
First thing I thought of when I read that was the old 20/20 show (and others) from 40 years ago that took a black light into hotel rooms to show me what was there. Never understood what I was supposed to do with that information and reconfirmed that ignorance is indeed sometimes bliss. How nasty your kitchen really is was also a popular topic as I recall.
I'm more cavalier on this than I probably should be but as others have said, I know "I'm everywhere" and don't really need or want to see it.

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login