Anybody Stay in the Hamlin Hilton while at MSU?

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
Yep. Learned a bit about Packistanian and Chinese cooking in the joint kitchen on one of the middle floors.

Dawg1969

Aug 22, 2012
Yes. Sophomore the year it opened. I knew I was old when I heard they tore it down.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Ah, that "exotic" summertime smell.....

It'll always be MSU's "UN" to me.

grinnindawg

Aug 22, 2012
Stayed at "The Embassy" Summer of 83
FB team had almost the entire first floor
Billy Jackson would fling another DL around like a rag doll. Other guy was ~350lb(Elvis Butler?)
DB drove a Mercedes. His family had money if I remember correctly.
FB players would pick up cars and put them somewhere else.
Every weekend some fine folks would decide to use the elevator for a bathroom.
Middle eastern students were obsessed with the movie Poltergeist.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Moved into the brand-new Hamblin Hall in the fall of 1966, like several of you on here, I was a sophomore. Great concept but without a car, I walked my *** off that fall. I moved into my fraternity house second semester and could use the bus from downtown to campus.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Stayed at "The Embassy" Summer of 83
FB team had almost the entire first floor
Billy Jackson would fling another DL around like a rag doll. Other guy was ~350lb(Elvis Butler?)
DB drove a Mercedes. His family had money if I remember correctly.
FB players would pick up cars and put them somewhere else.
Every weekend some fine folks would decide to use the elevator for a bathroom.
Middle eastern students were obsessed with the movie Poltergeist.

Could have been. Elvis Butler might be the most highly ranked recruit ever to play at State. He was the #1 DL and seemed like he was top 5 overall or something. Out of GA. Turned out to be OK but not great. I don't think he weighed anything close to 350. Maybe around 275?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
We had a "jumper" the semester I was in Suttle. We (suite mates) watched MASH as was the nightly custom and then left to walk up to The Perry and saw this guy we didn't recognize standing out on the front balcony. We walked on up to Perry and when we got back cops and ambulance had taken over the front yard of Suttle. The guy we didn't recognize had jumped and landed on the underground drain inlet out there, you know the kind steel bars and concrete. We later heard he was a military brat and had expectations put on him by his condescending old man that he couldn't live up to and couldn't take it any more and jumped. I always wondered why he would jump from the 6th floor and not the 9th? 6th or 9th, guess it doesn't matter they both would get the job done but me, I'm gonna make sure and go on up to the 9th

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I lived there one summer (the AC was broken) plus another semester. Very nice place for the time, except for the heat that summer in a place essentially without ventilation. Spent about 3 semesters in Suttle, and it was extremely nice. I understand it went downhill "a bit" before it was demolished.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
If I remember correctly, my junior or senior year they had to shut down the top two floors of Hamblin before the year was over due to a bat infestation.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login