Anyone else here hearing about a...

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
...fairly serious power struggle happening within the Bryan Buldg?

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'd be shocked if that's not the case. There's a huge leadership vacuum at MSU right now.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
The LT one year hangover. The Byrne "announcement" followed almost immediately by the Doc resignation and subsequent departure before June 30. And now the Polk resignation 20 games in? What in the devil is THAT about?

There is no way this ends well.</p>

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
..and not really a lead in to make me appear to know everything.

The snippets I've heard from a couple of different people this afternoon have included statements like (paraphrased):

People don't know who to take orders from.
Agendas being pushed prior to the June 30 deadline.
Doc leaving things in a quagmire.
Loyalties (to MSU) of ad employees being openly questioned.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
that Polk announced his retirement in the middle of the season while LT is still the athletic director, instead of waiting until after the season (which would end in late May, just weeks before Byrne takes over.)

This is a deal struck between LT and Polk, I'll betcha. Polk wants LT to pick his replacement, which will likely disappoint us all.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
...Most here have chastised LT for not supporting Polk and have assumed they hate one another. Is that not the case now.

Having said that, I believe you are correct.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
what's so far-fetched about that, that you would throw out a black helicopter reference. Remember who it was that brought Polk back when everyone else in the free world wanted us to hire Manieri from Notre Dame? Ol' Lar.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Xenomorph said:
...Most here have chastised LT for not supporting Polk and have assumed they hate one another. Is that not the case now.

Having said that, I believe you are correct.

WTF? Have you got Polk and Stans mixed up?</p>

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Loyalties (to MSU) of ad employees being openly questioned.

I don't understand this. Why would anyone question the loyalty of people in our athl. dept to MSU? Those people need MSU tons more than MSU needs them.

1msudawg

Aug 26, 2006
There is the trying to force Polk to switch to the mstate logo, then telling him if he wanted to still use the MS logo he had to raise the money to continue to use it. I always thought that was how the dugout club was born. I could, however, be way wrong there. I always thought that was a major disagreement between the two.
</p>

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Well according to Veazey's blog, there is a lot of things up in the air, and no one seems to have the authority to make any decisions.

What SHOULD be done is that the coaching search to hire Raffo should be done after June 30.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
"And if that means Larry Templeton, whom I have the utmost respect for, walking away next week rather than the end of June, then that move needs to be made. He's in a lameduck situation complicated by the fact that the guy who fired him, Foglesong, is now mysteriously out the door himself. Gee, who will do the flyovers now?

Somebody needs to do what's best for the university. Otherwise, it's going to be the great Mississippi State University that suffers in the end."

Unfortunately, none of the parties involved, with the exception of Byrne, is likely going to heed Ellis' advice.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
First... Foglesong fired him and didn't have the guts to stick around and see it through. Now, he's expected to vacate his office months early on his own accord just because there's turmoil?

Would you?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
anything that I thought benefitted the University.

But I realize he is not going to and neither is Polk.

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
There is a huge power vacuum at the university right now from the top (Pres) down. That is not a good situation for any organization.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
what's best for a university is best judged by a group of objective observers.

How many objective observers would think that its best for a lame duck A.D. to name the next baseball coach?

How many would think its best for an outgoing baseball coach to name his successor?

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
I agree. This leadership void is all on "Doc". You don't come in and fire the AD of 20 years just for the sake of change. Was there ever a real, concrete reason given for LT "retirement"? Now, I agree with most on this board that LT is an arrogant, stuck up, miser. However, LT does love MSU and committed alot of time to the University and did a great job in many important areas. He deserved better than this. But back to the point, this another example of "Doc" making a terrible decision. In the mean time, MSU is left to deal with the wake of his fly by in Allen Hall.

Bryne may turn out to be the greatest AD ever. However, right now, we need LT to stick around until the new President gets settled in and Bryne is 100% up to speed. If LT was to walk away right now, we would really be hurting. With all that said though, if LT is set on leaving, he should do every thing possible to help Bryne in making a smooth transition with the employes.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
"If LT was to walk away right now, we would really be hurting"

No, we wouldn't

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
LT deserved to lose his job long ago. In the business world if you can't adjust to the times you get canned. LT couldn't adjust to the way college athletics were changing, and the past decade + of MSU athletics is proof of that. We are way behind in so many categories.

If LT truly loves MSU, as you say, he will do what is best right now and allow Byrne to do his job. Byrne has been named the new AD, LT is just around until June. It isn't fair to Byrne or to MSU for LT to have a say in this hire, or anything else concerning MSU athletics long term.

As far as Doc needing a concrete reason, I thought the whole taking Jackie payoff money from the Foundation was the reason used, in which case Doc had ever justification for canning LT.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
The guy has 20 years of experience. He has been through multiple coaching changes and president changes. Bryne has zero experience as an AD. Allow Bryne to do the coaching search. However, LT needs to stick around and work with the new president to make sure all of MSU's athletic interest are addressed and taken care of in the future.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
but I would argue that he is more qualified to run an SEC athletic department in today's high stakes world of collegiate athletics than Larry Templeton. I would also say that he is much more qualified to handle a coaching search than LT based upon the fact that he was apparently on the committe that hired Cohen at UK and has seen a real coaching search while LT rarely interviews more than one candidate. I would rather LT stopped looking after MSU interests directly and just moved on. I'll thank him for his service and bid him a good retirement, after all he'll get a really high percentage of his salary due to his long years of service in this State.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
I don't want to hijack this thread. However, MSU was way behind before LT became AD. During LT's time, MSU has been far more successful, in football, basketball, and facility upgrades than under any previous AD.

I don't have all the facts to comment on the ethical issues of Jackie's payoff money. However, I do know if LT would have kept Jackie around because he could not find the money to pay him off, you would be raising hell about it. </p>

tossedoff

Feb 23, 2008
Move LT's shitcanned *** to an office in Allen Hall since he is now supposedly going to be a "special assistant to the President". Hell, put an elementary school desk (you know the ones with the cubby hole underneath) in Vance Watson's office and give him a cookie and tell him to shut the hell up. We don't need any lame duck people making any decisions in the athletic department. That includes Polk, LT, and Watson. Let Byrne make the hire.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
college athletics have changed a great deal in the past decade, decade and a half. No longer will the old way of doing things at MSU be acceptable. They can't if we are to remain competitive long term in this conference. Everyone else is making huge jumps but we are still doing things the way we always have. In this day and age we need to be aggressive in getting donations and then be willing to spend money in order to make money. As much as we complain about Polk, most of our baseball facilties wouldn't be around if not for him spearheading those projects. Same with Croom demanding the Holliman Center before he was hired. Stansbury had to raise money on his own to get an editing machine (which is standard at other programs) and has met major resistence when trying to get a practice facility built. But hey, LT keeps us in the black. It's that mentality that will hurt MSU long term. Now that college athletics are big business we need to be jumping on that train. Everyone else in this conference is doing it.

I thank LT for his service, I really do. We've had some memorable times during his tenure. That said, his time has passed. He's proven he cannot adapt to this new atmosphere of college athletics, thus we will need someone who is able to lead MSU forward.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
for his retirement partially for using University scholarship money to pay off JWS and for not raising enough money.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
...I guess that's the way it'll be remembered. "LT stole scholarship money to pay off JWS."

bethn135

Mar 3, 2008
LT never interviewed anybody either. He just calls up Bama's leftovers or just rehires our own warmed over crap. Witness Rocky Felker endlessly shuffled around the football office. Calling Polk when Mcmahon left instead of actually interviewing and hiring a young gung ho coach. Stansbury was even an in house hire. Granted thats not always a bad thing but Jesus F'ing Christ how do you know there is'nt somebody better if you never F'ing look. Raffo better not be hired or I swear to God I will never darken the chairbacks at Dudy Noble again. God why am I a Bulldog Fan. Can just Once something go our way??????????????????????????????????????????

bethn135

Mar 3, 2008
Sorry for the freak out but this **** is starting to get old. We look like the KEYSTONE KOPS from Top to Bottom.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login