Anyone headed to Las Vegas soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I was in Vegas a few weeks ago and it was 110. I was surprised how many people are basically nocturnal this time of year.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Every time it gets really cold everyone around me says that is proof that global warming doesn’t exist. Can we do the opposite with this?

Now dance my puppets

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
We were in Vegas about four weeks ago. Been there many times, mostly doing trade shows for work, but this last trip was just for fun. Unless you are in a taxi line or going to the pool, not much reason to be outside. The Eagles are playing the Sphere for 8 shows in October and we are thinking about going back. That would be awesome.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
We were in Vegas about four weeks ago. Been there many times, mostly doing trade shows for work, but this last trip was just for fun. Unless you are in a taxi line or going to the pool, not much reason to be outside. The Eagles are playing the Sphere for 8 shows in October and we are thinking about going back. That would be awesome.
I’m eyeing it too. Dead & Co was fun. The sphere is amazing.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Season 4 Summer GIF by The Good Place

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I’m eyeing it too. Dead & Co was fun. The sphere is amazing.
The show was incredible and the venue mind-blowing. The only issue I would have going back is that I can't imagine how other bands (The Eagles, for example) will use the technology of that place as well as Dead & Co did. They (and their audience) are just tailor-made for that venue. You're sitting in the world's largest lava lamp right after the shrooms kick in.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The show was incredible and the venue mind-blowing. The only issue I would have going back is that I can't imagine how other bands (The Eagles, for example) will use the technology of that place as well as Dead & Co did. They (and their audience) are just tailor-made for that venue. You're sitting in the world's largest lava lamp right after the shrooms kick in.
I had a few friends go to a dead show there and all said it was the best concert they’ve ever been to.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The fact that politics has people suspicious of thermometers is quite odd to me…
Or people who eat up whatever freakout the news media has about the weather is dumb too. It’s summer, it gets hot.

And before the keyboard squad gets going, I do think there is climate change but I also think a lot of people who don’t know what they’re talking about like to use seasonal weather to create a narrative of something more serious. Every time it gets hot now (heatwaves have happened since the beginning of time) it’s somehow some horrible climate change apocalypse when in fact it’s more based on seasonal weather and ocean temps around the world and other factors.

When the news media was having a meltdown over the heatwave in the East last month this is exactly what happened. Also the national temp average for that week ended up be normal to even slightly below normal because it was so cool out west. It was snowing in Montana and Colorado. The weather is give and take and is like a scale. When there’s heat somewhere there’s some places that are below normal. It’s a balance.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Or people who eat up whatever freakout the news media has about the weather is dumb too. It’s summer, it gets hot.

And before the keyboard squad gets going, I do think there is climate change but I also think a lot of people who don’t know what they’re talking about like to use seasonal weather to create a narrative of something more serious. Every time it gets hot now (heatwaves have happened since the beginning of time) it’s somehow some horrible climate change apocalypse when in fact it’s more based on seasonal weather and ocean temps around the world and other factors.

When the news media was having a meltdown over the heatwave in the East last month this is exactly what happened. Also the national temp average for that week ended up be normal to even slightly below normal because it was so cool out west. It was snowing in Montana and Colorado. The weather is give and take and is like a scale. When there’s heat somewhere there’s some places that are below normal. It’s a balance.
Ever notice that when we get close to breaking an existing heat record and they show the current record it’s almost always back in the 1950’s or earlier? Certainly the weather has changed in our lifetime but who’s really to say exactly what caused these changes. Earth has experienced hot and cold periods along with ice ages and hot periods with higher ocean levels long before man had any influence on anything. It’s a puzzling complex issue and while everyone has an opinion, the truth is that no one really knows the root cause of what we are seeing in the weather patterns. Ok, perhaps Al Gore, but no one else……****

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Ever notice that when we get close to breaking an existing heat record and they show the current record it’s almost always back in the 1950’s or earlier? Certainly the weather has changed in our lifetime but who’s really to say exactly what caused these changes. Earth has experienced hot and cold periods along with ice ages and hot periods with higher ocean levels long before man had any influence on anything. It’s a puzzling complex issue and while everyone has an opinion, the truth is that no one really knows the root cause of what we are seeing in the weather patterns. Ok, perhaps Al Gore, but no one else……****
Hey Pilgrim, the gas didn’t have ethanol and hairspray was serious business back in the 50’s. That’s what caused those high temps. Thankfully we figured out how to create government agencies to save the world from temperature swings**

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If you ever get a chance, ask a climate warrior what the overall effect on life on earth of warm periods vs cold periods is.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
While a good portion of the world is concerned about global warming, Russia WANTS global warming no matter what the root cause happens to be. The warmer it gets the more of Siberia they can open up for farming and other economic activity.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Not arguing with you, but in this particular instance Vegas hit it's highest temperature in recorded history (120), breaking the previous record (117) that was set just 3 years ago. That is pretty extreme.

To say that "no one really knows" why we are seeing these weather patterns is a bit dismissive of decades of research. It's being caused by a dramatic increase in greenhouse gases, and we have not identified a natural cause for such an increase.

Scientists have studied previous warming and cooling trends to identify the natural events that caused them to start and end. Small variations in the Earth's axis and orbit, volcanic activity, tectonic shifts, etc. All contribute to massive changes....but all of these changes are tied to changes in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

For the last million years or so, our planet has gone through cooling and warming cycles lasting about 100,000 years each. The average global temperature tends to fluctuate about 5 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit during these warming and cooling periods.

Our last ice age peaked about 20,000 years ago, so we are still due for about 80,000 years of warming. But our average temperature is already 11 degrees warmer than our last ice age max. That is a concerning warming trend, whether it is natural or caused by man.

Scientists cannot identify a natural cause for this rapid warming, although there has been a massive increase in greenhouse gases as one would expect to see in such a dramatic warming trend. In fact, our current concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere is higher than it has been in the last 800,000 years. So, naturally, one would look to man made influences as a possible cause.

The real problem we have, whether man is significantly contributing to greenhouse gases or not, is the snowball affect that greenhouse cases have on our climate. As the temperature rises, oceans warm, ice caps melt, forest areas dry up, etc., and all of that adds more greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.

So we may have already gone past the point of no return. In that case, let's go out in a blaze of glory, fire up those fossil fuels, and enjoy it while it lasts.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Not arguing with you, but in this particular instance Vegas hit it's highest temperature in recorded history (120), breaking the previous record (117) that was set just 3 years ago. That is pretty extreme.

To say that "no one really knows" why we are seeing these weather patterns is a bit dismissive of decades of research. It's being caused by a dramatic increase in greenhouse gases, and we have not identified a natural cause for such an increase.

Scientists have studied previous warming and cooling trends to identify the natural events that caused them to start and end. Small variations in the Earth's axis and orbit, volcanic activity, tectonic shifts, etc. All contribute to massive changes....but all of these changes are tied to changes in greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

For the last million years or so, our planet has gone through cooling and warming cycles lasting about 100,000 years each. The average global temperature tends to fluctuate about 5 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit during these warming and cooling periods.

Our last ice age peaked about 20,000 years ago, so we are still due for about 80,000 years of warming. But our average temperature is already 11 degrees warmer than our last ice age max. That is a concerning warming trend, whether it is natural or caused by man.

Scientists cannot identify a natural cause for this rapid warming, although there has been a massive increase in greenhouse gases as one would expect to see in such a dramatic warming trend. In fact, our current concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere is higher than it has been in the last 800,000 years. So, naturally, one would look to man made influences as a possible cause.

The real problem we have, whether man is significantly contributing to greenhouse gases or not, is the snowball affect that greenhouse cases have on our climate. As the temperature rises, oceans warm, ice caps melt, forest areas dry up, etc., and all of that adds more greenhouse gases to the atmosphere.

So we may have already gone past the point of no return. In that case, let's go out in a blaze of glory, fire up those fossil fuels, and enjoy it while it lasts.
Fossil Fuels are not killing the planet, they keep the planet from killing people. FF & Free Market American Capitalism has improved the human condition on a global scale the likes never dreamed of. We will be fine for the next 20 yrs or so till cleaner alternatives are economically viable. No need to be stripping mountains to pieces using child slave labor. No need to hammer poor people who struggle to make ends meet.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018

Perhaps my comments were a bit too casual, but I am a pretty simple man. The weather channel has access to the best science available to anyone and my experience is that when they say it’s going to rain tomorrow and me flipping a coin have about the same accuracy. I suspect that man has certainly impacted the weather but how much of it would have happened anyway? I am sure there will be debates on this until it turns cold again in 80,000 years and then we will be glad that we are not as cold. Just joking of course. We just have to live our lives and make responsible decisions when possible and within reason to minimize our impact here on Mother Earth.

Reactions: NTDawg

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
While a good portion of the world is concerned about global warming, Russia WANTS global warming no matter what the root cause happens to be. The warmer it gets the more of Siberia they can open up for farming and other economic activity.
Never thought about the Russian thing.

A lot of human tools have been found where glaciers are receding. There are areas with under water ruins that are 30 Yds or so off shore where people once hung out.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Your thermometer quote implies that we are on the verge of a diaster and extreme measures are needed and I object to that fear mongering.
Nah. It implies that a changing climate is happening and anyone who argues that is damn near flat earth status. However, it is perfectly reasonable to have disagreements about what, if anything, will help, should be done to combat it, whatever. Extra points if you get your science and medical info from scientists and medical professionals and not your political party.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Fossil Fuels are not killing the planet, they keep the planet from killing people. FF & Free Market American Capitalism has improved the human condition on a global scale the likes never dreamed of. We will be fine for the next 20 yrs or so till cleaner alternatives are economically viable. No need to be stripping mountains to pieces using child slave labor. No need to hammer poor people who struggle to make ends meet.
We certainly have been able to out innovate doom so far. I recall some oft cited ag study from the 70’s that said we would all be starving by now but it’s quite the opposite as automation and ag productivity have outstripped whatever was going to starve us.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Never thought about the Russian thing.

A lot of human tools have been found where glaciers are receding. There are areas with under water ruins that are 30 Yds or so off shore where people once hung out.
You have to think that our modern mobility would allow us to out pace whatever climate shift happens. I mean if it keeps heating up, it seems that some northern climates all of a sudden get more agriculturally productive?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
This is not true.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010

There’s some truth here, but the climate is no doubt warming very quickly due to fossil fuels. We’ve actually seen more warming in the last 10 to 15 years than we saw in the 100 years before. People think that the relationship between carbon levels and temp is a line - it’s not, it’s a curve. We’re starting to go up that curve. That was all built into the Paris numbers and we’re going to blow through them.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
You have to think that our modern mobility would allow us to out pace whatever climate shift happens. I mean if it keeps heating up, it seems that some northern climates all of a sudden get more agriculturally productive?
Wouldn't one assume areas once too cold to farm become productive if they warm?

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Nah. It implies that a changing climate is happening and anyone who argues that is damn near flat earth status. However, it is perfectly reasonable to have disagreements about what, if anything, will help, should be done to combat it, whatever. Extra points if you get your science and medical info from scientists and medical professionals and not your political party.
I always follow the money trail and this one stinks to high heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login