Anyone think Fox overpaid Brady as a color analyst.

Mr. Potter

Oct 18, 2021
He's nowhere near as good as Romo or even Olsen.
I don't know what I was expecting but he's really not that colorful.
Shalom

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Shalom
As much as I disliked him during his college and pro years I didnt' think he was that bad. Romo has always annoyed me. I thought Olsen was pretty good on the Eagles game.

PSUFBFAN

Oct 7, 2021
As much as I disliked him during his college and pro years I didnt' think he was that bad. Romo has always annoyed me. I thought Olsen was pretty good on the Eagles game.
Can Romo say two sentences in a row without including " ... Jim ..."?

Somebody needs to tell him he's talking to a nationwide TV audience and he isn't having a private conversation with Jim Nantz.

• Haha
Reactions: tzinger and bbrown

CaseStudy

Oct 5, 2022
The economics behind the decision to bring him in must be fascinating. From a cultural / social media / sponsor perspective, I think Kelce brings more to the table for ESPN. I can't recall the last time I saw Brady in a commercial but Jason is all over TV now and reportedly making a third of what Fox is paying Brady. I'm sure Kelce currently draws more content viewers and ad money than Brady even though he's just a pre-game analyst. Brady has been somewhat of a disappointment. I expected more for sure.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
Whether true or not, it seems like he has never actually watched a broadcast game himself

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
You're paid what the market will allow, but the market seems to have been foolish. I don't say that because he's awful, I haven't really listened to him yet. I say it because I cannot fathom that he will return the investment. How many additional eyes per game does he need to pull in order to increase ad revenue by an amount covering his salary? I don't know of a single person tuning in because he's announcing a game, so I just don't get the rationale from the TV execs that made the deal.

Corner Room Breakfast

Oct 27, 2021
Just get the names, and the situation down. Everyone gets wild over announcers, as soon as
a commercial comes on I'm switching channels anyway.

It's the 2 cents that these guys add, for instance,it's noticeable how ESPN and ABC are pushing the SEC
even on NFL games. I don't care.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I can’t imagine you would hire Brady to appeal to hardcore football fans as most fans can’t stand him. It must have been to appeal to fans who watch games to listen to a celebrity?

PSUHarry

Oct 7, 2021
Shalom
I think it’s too early to tell. It’s a job you grow into. Tons of training and development. Aikman has talked about this. The money is the money, you can’t blame him for that.

Brady at heart is basically a nerd. He’s very smart but communication on air is a whole new thing for someone like that.

PSUHarry

Oct 7, 2021
Can Romo say two sentences in a row without including " ... Jim ..."?

Somebody needs to tell him he's talking to a nationwide TV audience and he isn't having a private conversation with Jim Nantz.
Yeah and they are too chummy on the air. Nance has jumped the shark. I’m not a fan anymore. He over excites broadcasts at times.

troutrus

Oct 7, 2021
I have no idea what he is paid or what any of them are paid.
I rarely use the sound function while watching games on TV, so in that regard they are all overpaid.

Reactions: Nitt1300 and bbrown

GreggK

May 25, 2022
The same douche who is responsible for noon kickoffs is the same one responsible for hiring Brady. And oh yeah, scUM grad.

BrianS

Oct 31, 2021
IMHO...........I don't think Brady is that bad. You will NOT beat his knowledge of the game!
My top color announcers are Olsen, Moose Johnson, and I do like Romo. I think I've had enough of Aikman, if that means anything.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I have no idea what he is paid or what any of them are paid.
I rarely use the sound function while watching games on TV, so in that regard they are all overpaid.
$37.5mm p.a. for ten. He'll make more from Fox than he did for his entire 20+ year career in the NFL.

Wonder if Fox has an out on this deal.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I think it’s too early to tell. It’s a job you grow into. Tons of training and development. Aikman has talked about this. The money is the money, you can’t blame him for that.

Brady at heart is basically a nerd. He’s very smart but communication on air is a whole new thing for someone like that.
So we're looking to Terrible Troy to provide insight into development as an announcer? That is funny.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I've never heard an announcer/commentator/analyst in any sport better than the ones you get for pro tennis; John McEnroe and Martina Navratilova are elite when it comes to discussing strategy/tactics (Agassi too if you're ever lucky enough to hear him do some booth work). The insight is incredible; a lot of tennis players can remember exact moments/points/scenarios in a match where they noticed an opponents tendency or figured out their strategy, and hearing them dissect it is a far cry from what you get from most football players - which is not surprising since the coaches are the ones making the strategic/tactical decisions in football games whereas tennis players are usually doing it on their own (with some help from the coach).

Reactions: Psu00

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I've never heard an announcer/commentator/analyst in any sport better than the ones you get for pro tennis; John McEnroe and Martina Navratilova are elite when it comes to discussing strategy/tactics (Agassi too if you're ever lucky enough to hear him do some booth work). The insight is incredible; a lot of tennis players can remember exact moments/points/scenarios in a match where they noticed an opponents tendency or figured out their strategy, and hearing them dissect it is a far cry from what you get from most football players - which is not surprising since the coaches are the ones making the strategic/tactical decisions in football games whereas tennis players are usually doing it on their own (with some help from the coach).
And then there is Louis Riddick who is articulate and reasonably insightful, but doesn't know when to STFU.

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
Just my $.02. I'm finding Brady and Bellichick to be obnoxious and almost, vengeful on air. For how much success they've had, they like to sort of roast teams, players, and organizations in their commentary. Bellichick in particular was roasting the Falcons the other night bringing up their "tampering," which is pretty funny because he desperately wanted that job and feels jilted by not getting it. Then yesterday, as he always has to, he throws shade at the Jets about Sam Darnold stating "Not surprised by Darnold's success, everybody in the NFL liked Sam, I liked Sam, the only team that didn't like Sam was the Jets." Absurd, San Fran got rid of him, Carolina cut him, nobody was banging down the jets doors to re-sign him after his 4 years with the jets(including BB). What would have had the jets do? Re-sign him to another contract when they has so many holes on the team and he self proclaimed he was "seeing ghosts?" BB has become a troll.

olelion

Oct 31, 2021
watch any media, local, national, sports, news weather. What is their talent? The compensation for the lack of talent is laughable

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Shalom
Fox is trying and succeeding at ruining broadcast football in general. First with the Fox Noon Kickoff, Gus Johnson and Klatt, then this.

Reactions: bbrown

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
You're paid what the market will allow, but the market seems to have been foolish. I don't say that because he's awful, I haven't really listened to him yet. I say it because I cannot fathom that he will return the investment. How many additional eyes per game does he need to pull in order to increase ad revenue by an amount covering his salary? I don't know of a single person tuning in because he's announcing a game, so I just don't get the rationale from the TV execs that made the deal.
OH, let's see:

$348 mill for 10 yrs divided by 10 = $34.8 mill per yr.........my wife's cousin would call that pocket change 😲

Reactions: wbcbus
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login