Anyone with inside info on Hump rumors?

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
Read on 247 that there are rumors of structural damage at the Hump that may prevent home games this season and that we may be suing the contractor. Anyone with any information?

Cohen sure is doing a great job of making everyone forget the baseball national championship.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Read on 247 that there are rumors of structural damage at the Hump that may prevent home games this season and that we may be suing the contractor. Anyone with any information?

Cohen sure is doing a great job of making everyone forget the baseball national championship.
Yeah because I’m sure Cohen wrote in the contract for the contractor to damage something intentionally. Go back to bed…

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
If anyone has overseen any kind of project they would know that things happen beyond your control. It happens on small projects and heaven forbid you find them late in the process.
I just spent $11,500 to repair structural damage on my one bedroom lake house that did not show up in the initial inspection.

In hindsight, the initial inspection could have been better but I still would have bought the place because I love it there. In Cohen’s case, it’s my understanding that this happened during the process and there was no way he could have prevented it.
This is Cohen haters just hating to me.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

So did Cohen take a hammer to the structure and cause it? Did he drive a bulldozer into it, jackhammer it, what did he do to cause it? You sue the contractor when they do something wrong, why would you point the finger at the AD instead?

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

No one was going to go until the seating chart gets redone

Reactions: DerHntr

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Yeah because I’m sure Cohen wrote in the contract for the contractor to damage something intentionally. Go back to bed…
It seriously has to be a joke that I just have not caught on to yet. I’ve seen some crazy things blamed on Cohen but this one takes the cake.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
Well they just sent me an invoice for parking for both so as of a week ago they were planning on playing at the Hump

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
I’ve been involved with that project for a while but not boots on the ground all that much. I haven’t heard that, but I wouldn’t doubt it. I personally don’t see how they could have home games this year even without the rumored damage. That place is a wreck, but I believe it will be well worth it in the end.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
As far as the rumor goes, yes I have heard it from someone outside the 247 message board. Heard we could be looking into playing at Bancorp South arena in Tupelo

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
Cohen is such a great leader of our athletic Dept. He'll solve this problem.
Is this sarcasm? I don’t see how you can put this on Cohen. I’ve been in construction my entire life. Things like this happen. All it takes a mis print on drawings OR the damage could be pre existing and was uncovered during the renovation. I don’t think a majority of people on this board understand the depth of this renovation. It is MASSIVE. The concourse is gone. If I knew I could take pictures and post them I would.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018

Haven’t we all forgotten about that anyway? What with baseball being a club sport?***

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Is this sarcasm? I don’t see how you can put this on Cohen. I’ve been in construction my entire life. Things like this happen. All it takes a mis print on drawings OR the damage could be pre existing and was uncovered during the renovation. I don’t think a majority of people on this board understand the depth of this renovation. It is MASSIVE. The concourse is gone. If I knew I could take pictures and post them I would.
It's sarcasm. But having a new coach and nowhere to play (which isn't even true) does create problems . My understanding is all games aren't going to have to be moved (they don't think). Just some of them.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
You are right, I don’t understand the depth of this renovation. I also don’t know why we are renovating a building that we were told 10-12 years ago was going to be replaced in a master plan. This building has not been near capacity, other than Vic’s women teams in 10 years, but instead of dealing with an out of date building a few more years, until we had money to make the big change we renovate again. I don’t know that this is wise use of funds.

Reactions: Maroon13

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
It's sarcasm. But having a new coach and nowhere to play (which isn't even true) does create problems . My understanding is all games aren't going to have to be moved (they don't think). Just some of them.
Lol I didn’t see the *** so I didn’t mean to come off as a jerk. This renovation really is something to behold. I’m going to ask tomorrow if I can take pictures of the concourse. Also, a lot of
People don’t know this is a multi phase, multi year project. The locker rooms are being re done as well (they need it). I was excited/disappointed to see what our locker rooms looked like.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

Good thing we still have the tin gym.

Oh....nevermind

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Lol I didn’t see the *** so I didn’t mean to come off as a jerk. This renovation really is something to behold. I’m going to ask tomorrow if I can take pictures of the concourse. Also, a lot of
People don’t know this is a multi phase, multi year project. The locker rooms are being re done as well (they need it). I was excited/disappointed to see what our locker rooms looked like.
Any updates you get are appreciated. I briefly glanced through the plans awhile back when it was being bid, and do remember the complex phasing, each with its own completion dates, built around the basketball seasons. Any major renovation of an old *** building is a PITA, especially with public funds. There’s guaranteed to be some unforeseen issues the designer could not find, and then every issue becomes an expensive change order and delay to contractually sort out. And sometimes a contract dispute if owner rep thinks designer or contractor is at fault for a delay.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Thanks Capt. I'm wondering if any of our own structural engineers get involved with these types of projects though; do they? Shouldn't a school with a good engineering program be embarassed if this is true? Please understand, I don't have the first clue about this stuff; just wondering out loud here. I'm so anxious to see what our new coach is gonna do and would hate like hell to see us not be able to play in The Hump this year. Thanks again for your knowledgeable input sir. Hail STATE!!

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
Thanks Capt. I'm wondering if any of our own structural engineers get involved with these types of projects though; do they? Shouldn't a school with a good engineering program be embarassed if this is true? Please understand, I don't have the first clue about this stuff; just wondering out loud here. I'm so anxious to see what our new coach is gonna do and would hate like hell to see us not be able to play in The Hump this year. Thanks again for your knowledgeable input sir. Hail STATE!!
This project is no different than a project away from campus. The engineering department has nothing to do with it what so ever. I would be surprised if they’ve even seen the prints. I can say this though, the school hasn’t made this project any easier. I’m not throwing shade at the school at all, but they have presented roadblocks at every turn. People on this board ,myself included, do not fully understand the hurdles this job has had to go over. It’s a classic example of too many chiefs and not enough Indians. I love Mississippi State to the core, but it’s the truth at the moment.

ExtremeDog

Apr 8, 2003

Our floor completely buckled and has been ruined. We borrowed the floor from the bancorpsouth center in Tupelo .

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
This project is no different than a project away from campus. The engineering department has nothing to do with it what so ever. I would be surprised if they’ve even seen the prints. I can say this though, the school hasn’t made this project any easier. I’m not throwing shade at the school at all, but they have presented roadblocks at every turn. People on this board ,myself included, do not fully understand the hurdles this job has had to go over. It’s a classic example of too many chiefs and not enough Indians. I love Mississippi State to the core, but it’s the truth at the moment.
Shall we discuss the STATE Roadblocks that we threw?

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009

The real crime here is making the decision to renovate a 50 year old building instead of starting over. We have the money to start over and anybody that tells you differently is lying. The projections after adding Texas and Oklahoma are 100k for every SEC team by 2030. Thats sick money and we can easily afford a new basketball arena. In fact, we can afford it right now.

I know there are many Hump purists out there (I’m one as well), but times have changed and the demand for a new facility will far outweigh the benefits of renovating a 50 year old building very soon. It was a bad decision from the start. Even if this ends up not causing any trouble for our season, Cohen made a bad decision here.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
All that matters to a publicly bid project is who is awarded the bid. Our structural engineering dept doesn’t need to step foot near any decisions made with this.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
If there is a mistake in design or execution of a renovation, there is insurance coverage—particularly when public contracts are in play. Stuff happens. Lawyers get involved. The party who made a mistake has to fix it. Insurance pays for the fix. Not an issue to get bogged down in. Not a big Cohen fan but this isn’t his responsibility no matter how you slice it. Let it play out… carry on.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
If there is a mistake in design or execution of a renovation, there is insurance coverage—particularly when public contracts are in play. Stuff happens. Lawyers get involved. The party who made a mistake has to fix it. Insurance pays for the fix. Not an issue to get bogged down in. Not a big Cohen fan but this isn’t his responsibility no matter how you slice it. Let it play out… carry on.
Is there a possibility that someone made the lowest bid top priority over references?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The real crime here is making the decision to renovate a 50 year old building instead of starting over. We have the money to start over and anybody that tells you differently is lying. The projections after adding Texas and Oklahoma are 100k for every SEC team by 2030. Thats sick money and we can easily afford a new basketball arena. In fact, we can afford it right now.

I know there are many Hump purists out there (I’m one as well), but times have changed and the demand for a new facility will far outweigh the benefits of renovating a 50 year old building very soon. It was a bad decision from the start. Even if this ends up not causing any trouble for our season, Cohen made a bad decision here.
Yeah I don't get this decision at all. I'm sure the excuse will be money. But as you pointed out, if we can't make capital improvements with record revenues... I just don't know what to say.

maybe it had to do with the newish practice facility being attached to the Hump. However you could still use the facility if you built a new arena down the hill. Football practice and game facility are not attached.

Regardless, it seems the move was to build new. Keep the hump for volleyball and other activities.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
Is there a possibility that someone made the lowest bid top priority over references?
Depends on whether the request for bid rules allowed that. They usually have language giving the state or IHL the discretion not to choose the lowest bid where other overriding factors exist. So yes that’s a possibility.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Unless things have changed, I remember looking at athletic budgets before all these Cable TV contracts started coming in and all the blue bloods were spending every dime on improvements and not worrying about "being in the black". They were always slightly in the red basically always looking spend it all on something nice and making their nice things nicer. Sounds to me like we still have folks running the show that wanna nickel and dime stuff which is "Why We Can't Have Nice Things." A few years from now we'll realize this maybe and understand how much money we blew on this failed cluster 17 of a renovation while we're tearing the whole damn thing down and starting anew which we shoulda done from the get go.

Reactions: Maroon13

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You clearly don't have a clue so stop speculating. Makes you look dumb.

You really think we are going to get our civil engineering students to review plans and specs for a project this size. I mean you have to be a professional engineering stamp to create structural plans.

Becoming a PE takes 4 years minimum after graduating with a BS.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
You clearly don't have a clue so stop speculating. Makes you look dumb.

You really think we are going to get our civil engineering students to review plans and specs for a project this size. I mean you have to be a professional engineering stamp to create structural plans.

Becoming a PE takes 4 years minimum after graduating with a BS.
Quit being an A$$hole, makes you look like an A$$hole.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login