Apparently we don't have enough in NIL...

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
We never had a chance with Gabriel, doesn't look like we will make any splashes with the portal. Are we paying hs recruits a little to come? I know these guys don't love State like I do. Is it having to live in Starkville? I just don't understand how South Carolina and Kentucky are apparently more desirable places to play it seems. Oxford is equally as small as Starkville. It could be we've had so much turnover in coaching. Just seems like we raised some money to go after a playmaker or two. Getting the fan base more fired up would also sell more tickets. Or are we just M Stating this thing and not willing to take a risk? I know this post is all over the place. I wanna say Starkville is the problem, but is Oxford really much better? I just think that any SEC program other than Vandy would be desirable to go play at, especially if you know you have a really good shot at starting.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
We were never going to have a chance with Gabriel no matter how much NIL money we had. And it's not totally a bidding war. If I'm a transfer, I'm going to be very hesitant to go into this dumpster fire. If we needed 3-5 players then sure. But we need at least a dozen, if not more.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
We never had a chance with Gabriel, doesn't look like we will make any splashes with the portal. Are we paying hs recruits a little to come? I know these guys don't love State like I do. Is it having to live in Starkville? I just don't understand how South Carolina and Kentucky are apparently more desirable places to play it seems. Oxford is equally as small as Starkville. It could be we've had so much turnover in coaching. Just seems like we raised some money to go after a playmaker or two. Getting the fan base more fired up would also sell more tickets. Or are we just M Stating this thing and not willing to take a risk? I know this post is all over the place. I wanna say Starkville is the problem, but is Oxford really much better? I just think that any SEC program other than Vandy would be desirable to go play at, especially if you know you have a really good shot at starting.
It's hard when you love something to see its flaws. I've lived in Starkville for over 20 years and I love it, but it's not Lexington or Columbia, and Oxford does a much better job of marketing itself. The city has made great strides, but still has a long ways to go. The growth we are seeing in manufacturing will help, but that will be good slow growth. As the Football team goes, same is true here, it's hard to see the flaws, but we haven't had consistency since Mullen (not all our fault). Poor hires and poor recruiting have us where we are. Lebby may be the best coach we have ever had, but he is completely unproven as a HC. Unfortunately, all of this, along with a smaller NIL budget, comes into play when trying to recruit top tier talent.

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Theconnermead that's probably the best answer so far. Yes our NIL budget is small but I'm sure we could match some schools. I think Starkville is as big a problem as anything even though we all love it, it definitely doesn't win any tiebreakers when making a decision on where to play. Also I couldn't disagree more on the wait till next year to drop more money on building a team. 6 wins is our ceiling this coming year with 3 or 4 being a possibility. If we need to spend to get those 6 or 7 wins we need to. I don't think 3 to 5 wins is ever a good thing.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Theconnermead that's probably the best answer so far. Yes our NIL budget is small but I'm sure we could match some schools. I think Starkville is as big a problem as anything even though we all love it, it definitely doesn't win any tiebreakers when making a decision on where to play. Also I couldn't disagree more on the wait till next year to drop more money on building a team. 6 wins is our ceiling this coming year with 3 or 4 being a possibility. If we need to spend to get those 6 or 7 wins we need to. I don't think 3 to 5 wins is ever a good thing.
The problem isn’t Starkville or NIL. It’s not having a single returning OL or an impact WR. These kids do their research.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We can be smart about utilizing NIL funds without being cheap. It just does not make a lot of sense to spend all our NIL money on the 2024 football season because it is inevitably going to be rebuilding year.
I said something similar a while back and was told it was a terrible idea... but we'd be idiots to blow all of our NIL funds every year, trying to compete with teams that have 2-3x our funds every single year. It really needs to be managed like a professional team that has a long term strategy of how to build their roster rather than just burning money on the best we can get every year. Obviously easier said than done... especially with nil and the portal being so new. I think for us it's going to be more important than ever to have an AD with a vision of how to best construct our programs, and be able to find coaches who'll buy in.

But we can't have the same strategy as Bama / Texas / LSU, etc.

Reactions: CEO2044

patdog

May 28, 2007
If we go 3-9 or 4-8, good luck getting any decent transfers next year (or holding onto the few good players on our team). Need to get to 6-6 to show there's potential for a transfer to succeed here.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Keenum and Arnett and partially leach and Covid for how the team was built put us in the position to be a dumpster fire this year. A huge senior class with Arnett changing offense completely killed any shot of having a good year to have some recruit momentum to build in the portal. Having a crap unknown fishing staff didn't help us recruit well in portal this season then being terrible with seniors and have a huge turnover with another inexperienced head coach although a good recruiter known for offense is tough to dig out of

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Once Oregon and USC got interested, Gabriel was never coming here, that should have been obvious to anyone with a pulse.

We are fully one year (or more) behind in NIL due to Cohen/Keenum, etc., being asleep at the switch. It's going to take a couple years to catch up, but I think Levy is the right man for the job.

It's going to take a couple of years. Be positive.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It's hard when you love something to see its flaws. I've lived in Starkville for over 20 years and I love it, but it's not Lexington or Columbia, and Oxford does a much better job of marketing itself. The city has made great strides, but still has a long ways to go. The growth we are seeing in manufacturing will help, but that will be good slow growth. As the Football team goes, same is true here, it's hard to see the flaws, but we haven't had consistency since Mullen (not all our fault). Poor hires and poor recruiting have us where we are. Lebby may be the best coach we have ever had, but he is completely unproven as a HC. Unfortunately, all of this, along with a smaller NIL budget, comes into play when trying to recruit top tier talent.
Well said. I'm a big fan of the Grizzlies too, and there's a reason that the NBA still has the "small market" label in spite of the fact that there's revenue sharing, a salary cap, and most teams have reasonably similar payrolls. Regardless of what an owner(sorry, NBA governor) is willing to pay, it's isn't easy competing against south beach, LA, and Golden State for key free agents unless you're willing to significantly overpay(see Chandler Parsons).

There will be a time in the future when we may be willing to do that, but for now, it just doesn't make sense when we need an upgrade and/or depth at every position on the field

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Reality is we will have to overpay. The price has to overcome Starkville not being flashy, a semi-depleted roster, and a first time head coach.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
We were never going to have a chance with Gabriel no matter how much NIL money we had. And it's not totally a bidding war. If I'm a transfer, I'm going to be very hesitant to go into this dumpster fire. If we needed 3-5 players then sure. But we need at least a dozen, if not more.
I think "dumpster fire" is a little harsh for our situation. This years coaching staff was definitely a dumpster fire but they are gone. We do need players due to inexperienced back ups but so did Ole Miss this year and look what they accomplished. We can do it by bringing in a few portal player and some stud OL and DL players.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Oxford does a much better job of marketing itself. .

Oxford isn't a big deal, the students, coaches, etc. just make it seem that way. One of the biggest draws is they practically worship these blue chips when they are on campus. No, they flat out worship them. When they know these 4 and 5 star guys are coming they scheme and make sure the recruits are showered with love and yes, money. EVERYBODY associated with UM knows how to play the game and they make it a priority to show them a good time. It's not just football recruits either.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
My two cents:

The reality is OK and TX are coming and they expect to compete with LSU, Bama, and Ga for the top rung in football but also in each of the big three sports. Yes, they are coming for baseball and basketball too! TN, FL and TAMU have the financial resources to compete with the aforementioned 5 schools. Auburn also has the abiltity to fund a competitive top half team as likely do KY and MO. That's 11 schools excluding Vandy, OM, SC, ARK, and State. I don't know the score at ARK or SC but expect ARK will compete financially near or just below the top half of the conference. OM is having a moment and giving to the Grove Collective has gone crazy--heavy hitters sniffing the play-off and think they can get through first round, maybe second with 3 more players and another IOL or two added...3 players are Umanmielen DE from FL portal ranking 4, Juice Wells receiver from SC portal ranking 6, and Walter Nolen DL from TAMU portal ranking 1. OM could whiff on all 3.

All the above relates to State which does not have the luxury to go 4-8 next year nor can it half-*** its way with 2nd rate players out of the portal...the margin between the top and bottom of this league has never been greater since rosters were limited to 85. If you fail to compete for a couple of years you can find yourself in a very, very bad way as a program--the best players on your team leave and recruiting dries up. That would have been your story for the present moment, but Lebby has been somewhat of a savior so far---he has nailed down the HS receiver class in MS, found a solid QB, and is working on both lines. You guys need lots of help especially O and D Lines and Secondary. Filling your needs will be expensive--but you have to go all out here...you have got to win 5-6 games in '24 and show that you are competitive in order to be viable in '25. And then your '25 class has to win 6-7 games minimum. This feels like a critical moment...perhaps I am wrong, but it does feel as though the next two years at State (in football) will be extremely important for your future. See Vandy football program if you think it can't happen to you....

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
After seeing your schedule me thinks 5 wins in '24--4 non-conf and Ark. Think you will not be favored in the other 7 SEC games,.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Check back in a month or two, anon. It’ll be okay

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Now would be a good time for the story of Zach Evans. In 2021, this guy was getting 125 to 150 yards rushing every single game for tcu and some considered him to be one of the nations top running backs. His 2022 season was on schedule to really be something special until he decided to transfer to Oxford. As you know, tcu went on to beat Michigan in the playoffs before losing the natty to Georgia while Zach Evans went from assured 1st round pick to a lucky grab in the 6th round.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
Now would be a good time for the story of Zach Evans. In 2021, this guy was getting 125 to 150 yards rushing every single game for tcu and some considered him to be one of the nations top running backs. His 2022 season was on schedule to really be something special until he decided to transfer to Oxford. As you know, tcu went on to beat Michigan in the playoffs before losing the natty to Georgia while Zach Evans went from assured 1st round pick to a lucky grab in the 6th round.
and the moral of this story is?
In his 1 year at OM Evans had 144 carries, averaged 6.5 yds per carry and rushed for 936 yds -- in the same year that Quinshon ran for 1567 yds. Evans was injured in AL game--knee tweaked and concussion--which cost him some carries and kept him under 1000 yds for the season. He had a good year in my book. Evans had a hamstring issue in the Spring which limited his participation in the combine.

Last edited:

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
I can't speak as to Lexington or Columbia, MO, but if you're referring to Columbia, SC it is one of the worst cesspools I've ever visited. I've never lived there, but having lived in SC for 32 years, I've been there enough to have some very distinct opinions of it. It's one of the hottest places on this earth during the summer and it's in a valley where no air stirs. All kinds of crappy industrial areas in that area and the football stadium is surrounded by industry. Throw in the fact that traffic is horrible and it becomes a full blown cluster17. IMHO, it has nothing on Starkvegas.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think "dumpster fire" is a little harsh for our situation. This years coaching staff was definitely a dumpster fire but they are gone. We do need players due to inexperienced back ups but so did Ole Miss this year and look what they accomplished. We can do it by bringing in a few portal player and some stud OL and DL players.
It’s a dumpster fire. We need about a dozen starters from the portal & we’re not going to get them.

Reactions: Jrobb

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
NGL, Oxford had a better scene for college kids back when I was in school but I’m not sure how it is now. Our coach doesn’t have the same swagger as Kiffin right now who is finishing up another ten+ win season. Lebby may get there but it will take time.

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
Plus OM fans don't sh_t all over their town, school and team like MSU fans. We're our own worst enemy many times. It makes no sense to me, but it is what it is. If I were Keenum, I'd have a room full of students pumping out positive pieces about MSU/Starkville.
True statement. Every 17ing OM fan I know, blows fandom up each others rear daily. They brag continuously about how great that school is. Even though we that live in the state know there’s not much there, they sincerely believe they’re superior. Yes, it’s funny to watch and listen to all that, and gets really old, it works for them. Recruits hear it and believe it. I mean, even the media, goes along with it. We need more positive advocates for MSU!

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
True statement. Every 17ing OM fan I know, blows fandom up each others rear daily. They brag continuously about how great that school is. Even though we that live in the state know there’s not much there, they sincerely believe they’re superior. Yes, it’s funny to watch and listen to all that, and gets really old, it works for them. Recruits hear it and believe it. I mean, even the media, goes along with it. We need more positive advocates for MSU!
I noticed another series on ESPN hosted by an Ole Miss professor about Southern sport towns. They are doing an exceptional job of marketing their school by filming documentaries and getting them on ESPN. Like it or not, they are getting the exposure and talking their school and sports programs up. I'm sure these programs are making money for the school too.
We are not just getting left behind in NIL but in every facet of college sports. I hope our new AD is seeing all this and has a plan to address it.

Reactions: Dawg84

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
its one thing to have poor manners, its altogether something else to label someone (whom you don't know) as a racist.
some of the behavoir on this board is outrageously hateful without any justificatiion--just another form of ignorance tinged with fear.
Well, your username doesn't really fit with our culture either so if you seek to get along with folks here I would recommend dropping it and use a name that works with your school. You can use that username on the OM board.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
IDK, we signed a high school QB recruit who had chosen Oregon over Oklahoma. We can't be completely lost.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
let me preface that i have not read all the comments....first of all, I live in Oxford. I also work the north half of the state for my job and in Starkville fairly often. Ole Miss folks will argue to the death that Oxford is some sort of mecca and is far superior to Starkville. It isn't. There was a time that it was, but Starkville has caught up. The towns are mirror images of each other.

The difference is that Ole Miss and the city of Oxford are in a happy marriage and work extremely well with each other. One goes as the other goes. MSU and Starkville are more like 2nd or 3rd cousins. My opinion on the NIL is that it's a cultural mindset. I think UM is spending money to make money, and MSU is spending some money, but not enough money. Ultra conservative mindset.

There is a perception of Starkville and MSU that are not true, and only marketing itself better will change that. That is what we saw fall off from Stricklin to Cohen.

We aren't helping ourselves with "Starkvegas" as it's a negative connotation, and the State script makes us look like a generic Dr Pepper commercial. Don't believe me? get an honest opinion from someone outside of MSU.

Reactions: Dawg84 and Jrobb

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I can't speak as to Lexington or Columbia, MO, but if you're referring to Columbia, SC it is one of the worst cesspools I've ever visited. I've never lived there, but having lived in SC for 32 years, I've been there enough to have some very distinct opinions of it. It's one of the hottest places on this earth during the summer and it's in a valley where no air stirs. All kinds of crappy industrial areas in that area and the football stadium is surrounded by industry. Throw in the fact that traffic is horrible and it becomes a full blown cluster17. IMHO, it has nothing on Starkvegas.
It's what Jackson would be if it had a major university located in it. Better, viable, but still kinda bleh. But it would be growing.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
It looks like a lot of you posters who know exactly how much NIL we have and how much we have spent and/or have offered transfer recruits. Can give us a break down with specific dollar amounts? Can you also give us a break down of what other schools are spending? Thank you in advance.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We aren't helping ourselves with "Starkvegas" as it's a negative connotation, and the State script makes us look like a generic Dr Pepper commercial. Don't believe me? get an honest opinion from someone outside of MSU.
I agree with all but the above. Starkville sounds like a town full of trailer parks and meth labs. Starkvegas sounds like a happening, fun place on the upswing.

We can argue all day about State vs MState vs MS State, MSU, etc. Personally I like State because its unique and nationally no one major university is known simply as "State." It would be good branding, maybe we can get in those DP commercials. "Mississippi State" is just too long a term to say and doesn't roll off the tongue, plus there will always be a negative connotation associated with the word "Mississippi." OM folks understand this, you won't often hear them refer to themselves as the "University of Mississippi" or simply Mississippi, even thought the term Ole Miss is more negative than Mississippi.

Whatever logo is chosen, let's just get on board with it and don't tear it down.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login