Apparently we don't have enough in NIL...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
let me preface that i have not read all the comments....first of all, I live in Oxford. I also work the north half of the state for my job and in Starkville fairly often. Ole Miss folks will argue to the death that Oxford is some sort of mecca and is far superior to Starkville. It isn't. There was a time that it was, but Starkville has caught up. The towns are mirror images of each other.

The difference is that Ole Miss and the city of Oxford are in a happy marriage and work extremely well with each other. One goes as the other goes. MSU and Starkville are more like 2nd or 3rd cousins. My opinion on the NIL is that it's a cultural mindset. I think UM is spending money to make money, and MSU is spending some money, but not enough money. Ultra conservative mindset.

There is a perception of Starkville and MSU that are not true, and only marketing itself better will change that. That is what we saw fall off from Stricklin to Cohen.

We aren't helping ourselves with "Starkvegas" as it's a negative connotation, and the State script makes us look like a generic Dr Pepper commercial. Don't believe me? get an honest opinion from someone outside of MSU.
Wait....I've being told that changing to shltty &tate is the best thing of all time!!! Much better than the logo of the past 20 years (longest we've ever had) that was there during our best run of athletics - EVER.

Generally agree on the rest, too. Good thing about Cohen is that he wasn't going to change much. And I'm not too hung up on Starkvegas - I mean people already have the negative connotation, may as well lean into it and make it a joke.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I agree with all but the above. Starkville sounds like a town full of trailer parks and meth labs. Starkvegas sounds like a happening, fun place on the upswing.

We can argue all day about State vs MState vs MS State, MSU, etc. Personally I like State because its unique and nationally no one major university is known simply as "State." It would be good branding, maybe we can get in those DP commercials. "Mississippi State" is just too long a term to say and doesn't roll off the tongue, plus there will always be a negative connotation associated with the word "Mississippi." OM folks understand this, you won't often hear them refer to themselves as the "University of Mississippi" or simply Mississippi, even thought the term Ole Miss is more negative than Mississippi.

Whatever logo is chosen, let's just get on board with it and don't tear it down.
We can still be STATE and keep the banner M-State logo. I don't understand why people don't get this. We already are. We've adopted Hail State too, which came around over the past 20 years. Do we want to change that too? The older generation thought that was terrible as well, and they are also the ones who want to get rid of banner M-State.

We are already leaning into STATE, and have been for a while. &tate is just fine as a baseball jersey, polo shirt, basketball uniform, even a helmet from time to time. Or any other merch. But it doesn't need to be our main logo.

Sep 29, 2022
I haven't been to Oxford in years but had to go this past Saturday for a wedding. The whole town felt pretty dead because school was out. A few of us (2 State fans, 1 OM) ended up going out on THE SQUARE afterwards thinking it would be easy to get into bars because school was already out. Nope. Every single bar was overflowing with lines out the door, and we tried at least 7 bars. Obnoxious drunk students staggering around everywhere. Cover charges at most places. We ended up at some loudass random place with a $20 cover charge to fight to get drinks at the bar. While this type of obnoxious party culture doesn't appeal to me, I don't know that the same can be said for recruits.

Reactions: Dawg84

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I hope we at the very least throw a buck fitty at a punter who can kick it past 20 yards (even with the roll).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login