Apple to buy ESPN? That should make streaming and cable debate interesting.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Can’t see it happening but I wouldn’t be disappointed if it did. Difficult for me to believe they’d give up ESPN though.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I don't understand this. Disney wants to get rid of ESPN because it isn't compatible with streaming. ESPN has long term contracts with linear providers, which is why you can't just buy an ESPN subscription.

So how is Apple going to get around this?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It's not about Disney wanting to divest. It's more about Apple wanting to get into live sports streaming. Buying ESPN would instantly do that with money they have laying between the couch cushions.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
It's not about Disney wanting to divest. It's more about Apple wanting to get into live sports streaming. Buying ESPN would instantly do that with money they have laying between the couch cushions.

Apple learned with Ted Lasso that streaming subscriptions for good content are there for the taking. But they get cancelled real quick unless you have live sports on there. Everyone cancelled (myself included) after finishing the Ted Lasso latest season.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Apple has enough money to buy all of Disney if they wanted to.

Around 10:45 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 3, Apple stock hit $182.86 per share, which when multiplied by the 16.4 billion shares outstanding, values Apple at about $3 trillion. That's more than the value of AT&T, Boeing, Coca-Cola, Comcast, Disney, Exxon, Ford, Goldman Sachs, IBM, McDonald's, Morgan Stanley, Netflix, Nike, and Walmart -- combined.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/ap...y-as-tech-becomes-central-to-post-covid-life/

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Apple learned with Ted Lasso that streaming subscriptions for good content are there for the taking. But they get cancelled real quick unless you have live sports on there. Everyone cancelled (myself included) after finishing the Ted Lasso latest season.

Don't get me wrong, I kinda like Ted Lasso, but I don't get all the hype around it winning all the Emmys it did and all. It's a fairly good show, but Apple has shows that are much better - The Morning Show, Home Before Dark, Truth Be Told, For All Mankind, The Mosquito Coast.. just to name a few. The problem Apple has is that they don't have nearly as much content as Netflix, Prime, or Disney, but the content they do have is all superior to a lot of stuff on Netflix. For every 10 shows on Netflix, the number of good shows is about 1, but for Apple the number of good shows is at much higher.

Apple for me is a yearly cost of $50 which isn't much and they have shows I really like. Not a big cost. It's on my list along with Netflix as uncancellable. If they get ESPN, it will likely raise the cost significantly unless there is a different login which there most certainly would not be.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Don't get me wrong, I kinda like Ted Lasso, but I don't get all the hype around it winning all the Emmys it did and all. It's a fairly good show, but Apple has shows that are much better - The Morning Show, Home Before Dark, Truth Be Told, For All Mankind, The Mosquito Coast.. just to name a few. The problem Apple has is that they don't have nearly as much content as Netflix, Prime, or Disney, but the content they do have is all superior to a lot of stuff on Netflix. For every 10 shows on Netflix, the number of good shows is about 1, but for Apple the number of good shows is at much higher.

Apple for me is a yearly cost of $50 which isn't much and they have shows I really like. Not a big cost. It's on my list along with Netflix as uncancellable. If they get ESPN, it will likely raise the cost significantly unless there is a different login which there most certainly would not be.

Ted Lasso = Touched By An Angel for white college-educated liberals.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login