Are we supposed to just forget the Saturday night debacle?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I obviously don't know this for a fact, but I just have to think that Lemonis at least considered not resuming the game. As a passionate head coach, I just don't see how in the world he could've received that ruling and then played on because the on-field umps apologized. If he did consider not playing, then someone also must have convinced Lemonis to proceed with a promise of things being made right afterwards, and I'd think that person would either be Selmon or someone within the SEC clownshow. I'd love to know how all of this went down
I listened to Rosebowl the other day (still feel a little dirty), but he said Selmon had our backs 110%. We were gonna play everybody but Long on Sunday, no matter what. Then, it basically worked out that way after our pals in BM (not a typo) made their ruling.

The SEC will never consider making it whole. And who the hell knows if anybody will get fired. At this point, I hope we all leave the SEC behind if/when the NCAA loses the P5.

He also made some points I’ve had for years. If the players and coaches on the field have to talk to media, why don’t the officials that 17 up so much? Public humiliation for one side and not the other is crap. I’d have loved to have seen the 2001 BYU football officials on the mic.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
It’s college baseball. No one but MSU cares.
Yeah, every postseason game is played in its entirety on TV. It’s the lacrosse or rowing or track of college sports, for sure.*****

Anybody making this argument is just dumb.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I listened to Rosebowl the other day (still feel a little dirty), but he said Selmon had our backs 110%. We were gonna play everybody but Long on Sunday, no matter what. Then, it basically worked out that way after our pals in BM (not a typo) made their ruling.
No we weren't. We might have forfeited the game, but there's no way in hell they would have allowed us to play players who were suspended. And we weren't going to forfeit the game and bring down more actions from the SEC office.

Selmon and Lemonis did a great of handling the situation. But they were never going to try something as stupid as that.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
No we weren't. We might have forfeited the game, but there's no way in hell they would have allowed us to play players who were suspended. And we weren't going to forfeit the game and bring down more actions from the SEC office.

Selmon and Lemonis did a great of handling the situation. But they were never going to try something as stupid as that.
What’s the 17ing difference between forfeiting the game and players that were wrongfully ejected? Jeebus.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Disagree in full. Why would Johnson review something that got his player tossed?

the Malious contact that was being reviewed was that of long.

Also the runner is allowed to slide. Which he was doing. The only way the runner was going to avoid contact in that case was to simply give himself up.

in no way at all was the runner out on that place because he broke the collision rule.
Johnson would review it for the same reason you want targeting reviewed in football - to make sure the call was right and the player was not tossed for a hit that didn't violate the rules.

The problem with statement 2 is that the only place in the rule book where malicious contact is used is:1) in the context of a runner breaking the collision rule; and 2) the ability to review a play for malicious contact.

And yes, the runner is allowed to slide, but must be in contact with the ground PRIOR to collision with the catcher, The base runner was in mid air.

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
If this incident had happened at that crap hole they call Alex Box there would be billboards in Birmingham on Monday. Just sayin!

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Johnson would review it for the same reason you want targeting reviewed in football - to make sure the call was right and the player was not tossed for a hit that didn't violate the rules.

The problem with statement 2 is that the only place in the rule book where malicious contact is used is:1) in the context of a runner breaking the collision rule; and 2) the ability to review a play for malicious contact.

And yes, the runner is allowed to slide, but must be in contact with the ground PRIOR to collision with the catcher, The base runner was in mid air.
Again in no way was that a collision at the plate.

his player was in no danger of being ejected

In a head first slide, your body will always be in mid air for a period of time. Feet first the same way. There is no rule that says during a slide contact is only legal if the ground is contacted first

Johnson reviewed to play to see if the contact by long would result in his runner being safe. It would be beyond stupid for Johnson to review a play to make sure his player stays in a game when he wasn’t ejected to being with. In your theory, Johnson’s review would have only been negative for uga since he was already not thrown out of the game. Making zero sense

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Why is there a protest rule still in the rule book? This game should have obviously been protested. And by the change of suspensions, this protest should have been upheld and play resumed from that point with the players who now were not suspended. They should have done that before the final game. However due to logistics they don't ever follow their own rule. MLB got rid of it.

View attachment 555989

Kinda like a 5 inning rainout which doesn't seem to exist any longer.
That was what I was wondering…. Why didn’t Lemonis protest the game?
Also, why did Slate Alford not get a fastball in the rib cage during the weekend, but Dakota did.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
So the SEC walked back most of the suspensions and tried to mitigate the disaster they created on Saturday night. This give a whole new meaning to the phrase "That's a the least I could do." It is truly the absolute least they could do to make things right. They admitted they screwed up by reinstating some of the players. They did nothing else beyond that. No public apology. No names were given. No promise to do better next time.

They still upheld suspensions for players (Kohler) who did absolutely nothing wrong, and they expect everyone to just forget about it and move on. It's unacceptable to expect everyone to just forget about what some nameless, faceless cowards in another state created Saturday night.
Yeah, I have. Our catcher made a bad mistake which triggered the whole episode. Auburn is on my mind only now.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Again in no way was that a collision at the plate.

his player was in no danger of being ejected

In a head first slide, your body will always be in mid air for a period of time. Feet first the same way. There is no rule that says during a slide contact is only legal if the ground is contacted first

Johnson reviewed to play to see if the contact by long would result in his runner being safe. It would be beyond stupid for Johnson to review a play to make sure his player stays in a game when he wasn’t ejected to being with. In your theory, Johnson’s review would have only been negative for uga since he was already not thrown out of the game. Making zero sense
He gave you the exact rule that applies, "Note: The failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner’s lowering of the shoulder, or the runner’s pushing through with their hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation of the Collision Rule 8-7, or otherwise initiated a collision that could have been avoided. A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner’s buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. In the case of a headfirst slide, a runner shall be deemed to have slid appropriately if their body should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. If a catcher blocks the pathway of the runner, the umpire shall not find that the runner initiated an avoidable collision in violation of the Collision Rule."

Carter's body clearly did not hit the ground before contact, and as you were shown by Brunswick, there in fact is a rule that says during a slide contact is only legal if the ground is contact first".

Carter saw he was gonna be out by a mile, seemed to take a slight detour at the last second to go straight at Long in hopes of knocking the ball loose, and was absolutely well above the ground with his body. BrunswickDawg got it correct. It does not matter how many times you deny it, the rule and video supports BD's posit.

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
He gave you the exact rule that applies, "Note: The failure by the runner to make an effort to touch the plate, the runner’s lowering of the shoulder, or the runner’s pushing through with their hands, elbows or arms, would support a determination that the runner deviated from the pathway in order to initiate contact with the catcher in violation of the Collision Rule 8-7, or otherwise initiated a collision that could have been avoided. A slide shall be deemed appropriate, in the case of a feet first slide, if the runner’s buttocks and legs should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. In the case of a headfirst slide, a runner shall be deemed to have slid appropriately if their body should hit the ground before contact with the catcher. If a catcher blocks the pathway of the runner, the umpire shall not find that the runner initiated an avoidable collision in violation of the Collision Rule."

Carter's body clearly did not hot the ground before contact, and as you were shown by Brunswick, there in fact is a rule that says during a slide contact is only legal if the ground is contact first".

Carter saw he was gonna be out by a mile, seemed to take a slight detour at the last second to go straight at Long in hopes of knocking the ball loose, and was absolutely well above the ground with his body. BrunswickDawg got it correct. It does not matter how many times you deny it, the rule and video supports BD's posit.
You guys telling me the runner had a pathway to the plate that would avoid collision? Sorry… I don’t see it

IMG_3086.jpeg

msualohadog

Oct 25, 2014
Old military saying "win the battle but lose the war". I think we lost the battle but might end up winning the war. Johnny Long has become a cult hero and gave the team a big ole chip on their shoulder.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012

You guys telling me the runner had a pathway to the plate that would avoid collision? Sorry… I don’t see it

View attachment 557218
The intent of the rule is to force a slide and eliminate collisions. Agree or disagree, that is what the ncaa wants. Based on the rule, they were reviewing for multiple things - did the catcher block the path and initiate contact or did fielding the throw take him into the path? Did the catcher push into the runner and begin contact? Did the runner slide as the rule states? If he did not slide, was it unavoidable contact? Did the actions of the play need to result in an interference ejection for the catcher or a malicious contact ejection for the runner? It's all right there in the collision rule. The fact that the umpire stated that there was no malicious contact means they were at a minimum considering tossing the runner based on him colliding with Long. As I stated before "malicious contact" is only stated in the rules in two places - in the context of a runner initiating contact with a defender and that it is a reviewable offense.

Reactions: fieldcorporal

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I disagree. Had they had the intention of throwing Long out, they would have done it immediatley on the spot without review. They looked confused by the situation, when that happened Johnson (rightfully so) asked the umpires to get help... and leaned on review to handle it. Then as we know.. review crapped the bed with all that.

I dont even think Johnson says a word about blocking the plate or the contact had Long been ejected,,, only after nothing was done.
After last night, did mini me ask for review within 10 seconds of the tag?

Reactions: eckie1

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010

View attachment 557218
Carter's only shot at a slide within the rules would have been to slide to the right of Long and reach for the plate with his left hand. You see that kind of slide all the time in baseball, especially in the big leagues. If you watch that video all the way through you'll notice Carter is headed more toward the back0side of the plate until he sees he's gonna get nailed, so you can see him change direction just slightly, but enough to send him square into Long. Then you see him put his shoulder into Long hard before Carter's body came anywhere close to being on the ground. Hell, Carter's body is still not in contact with the ground well past the point of initial contact, which the rule tells you is an indication the contact was most likely intentional & against the rules.

On top of that, Carter appears to put his shoulder right into Long's left knee, which is probably why Long was so hot. You can end a guy's career with something like that. Imagine if Long's left foot got stuck in the turf, even just a little bit. That would damn near be a guaranteed blown out knee with the way Carter went into him.

Last edited:
Reactions: eckie1

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Yogi should have said, “When the fat lady sings, it over. I’m Italian; I should know”. Now, can we stop talking about this?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login