Arnett's Job Performance So Far

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
Coach Arnett was put in an extremely difficult position from day one as our head coach due to tragic and uncontrollable circumstances. But when you consider the job he has done so far you have to give him credit for taking care of business. Thus far he has won the bowl game, made tough personnel decisions and put together a solid staff, held together the early signing class, and won a couple of recruiting battles today to sign players at key positions. So far, it hasn't been flashy but he has got the job done by doing what he needed to do. Once again, all things considered I think you have to give him a lot of credit so far as it's been hard up to this point to find a lot of reasons to complain as hard as we sometimes try. Hail State!

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
As much as I liked Leach and wanted to hold together what he was doing, I must admit Coach Arnett is doing a fantastic job. I wanted him promoted but got worried when he blew it all up but I'm thinking we are gonna be even better next year. I'm very optimistic

Reactions: Bully1972

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Seems to be an B. But can't answer that completely until I see what he does in year 1 with a relatively older team. I am on record saying he probably should have retained the Air Raid guys for at least one year due to experience (therefore extending them the same grace that Keenum showed Arnett). But I'm willing to wait and see if his offensive decisions are the right ones.

Crootin is definitely going well, though.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Have any of you forgotten that even Sloe Joe Moorhead went 8-4 his first year and then fired the next? Pull the reigns back boys and slow the horses down, this show hasn't even started, its definitely "the first week of school" as PooPops said

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Coach Arnett was put in an extremely difficult position from day one as our head coach due to tragic and uncontrollable circumstances. But when you consider the job he has done so far you have to give him credit for taking care of business. Thus far he has won the bowl game, made tough personnel decisions and put together a solid staff, held together the early signing class, and won a couple of recruiting battles today to sign players at key positions. So far, it hasn't been flashy but he has got the job done by doing what he needed to do. Once again, all things considered I think you have to give him a lot of credit so far as it's been hard up to this point to find a lot of reasons to complain as hard as we sometimes try. Hail State!
I say "Flashy". "Home Run", & "Great Start". We couldn't asked for a better job at this juncture for a 1st time HC.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I like the hire. You can have a janky offense at Mississippi State and get eight wins, but you can't have a porous defense and get eight wins.

Reactions: msstatelp1

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm not going to put a grade on his job so far as much as a big, heartfelt Thank You for stepping up, taking the reigns with calm confidence, keeping our recruits while adding a few new faces, slowly assembling a coaching staff, and handling this whole situation like you did. You could have hit the door running after the funeral but you didn't. So thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing your beginning steps as a head coach.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
I give him an A so far. At first I wanted to keep the air raid with some tweeks but I soon realized there is no way in hell we could've recreated the magic Leach brought with his play calling and psychology.

Reactions: kired

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
Have any of you forgotten that even Sloe Joe Moorhead went 8-4 his first year and then fired the next? Pull the reigns back boys and slow the horses down, this show hasn't even started, its definitely "the first week of school" as PooPops said
I don't think anyone is saying we should crown him the next Nick Saban. All I am saying is that if you can't recognize that CZA has done a good job thus far in the short amount of time that he has been HC considering everything that has happened then you are being a cotton headed ninny muggins! :) I also think it is naive not to realize that things could have been much worse so far. I am not sure why our fans are sometimes hesitant to give credit where credit is due. We all know that ultimately a coach is judged by wins and losses but there is a lot that happens before the season and after the season that contributes to those W's and L's. So, as a MSU fan in our position things couldn't have gone much better than they have up to this point. Yes, it's early but t's ok to be ok with where we are at this point. Hail State!

Last edited:

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
He has done an outstanding job so far. I just hope this energy carries forward to the actual season. I am cautiously optimistic about this next year in football but as others have said, it's only the first week of school.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
I'm personally a fan of the Arnett hire. That said, this is like giving out grades the first week of school. Patience grasshopper.
I promise you if we would have lost the bowl game, the signing class would have fallen apart, we were still trying to piece a staff together, and we would have lost the two commitments today people around here would have been very quick to give out grades. It is the mentality of so many MSU fans not to be optimistic or encouraged at any time or any place and I get that but geez for the life of me I wouldn't want to live my life that way.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Have any of you forgotten that even Sloe Joe Moorhead went 8-4 his first year and then fired the next? Pull the reigns back boys and slow the horses down, this show hasn't even started, its definitely "the first week of school" as PooPops said.
8-4 for that team SUCKED. One of the best defenses we've ever had in the history of the school with 3 first round draft picks and what SHOULD have been a good offense had JoMo not tried to make Fitz a pocket passer. That team should have won 10 games that season with a shot at 11.

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
At first I wanted to keep the air raid with some tweeks but I soon realized there is no way in hell we could've recreated the magic Leach brought with his play calling and psychology.
These are sort of my thoughts as well. I wasn't a huge fan of the air raid - but I definitely wasn't a fan of trying to coach & run it without Leach. So I've got to give him credit for having the balls to make the tough decision to go in a different direction.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm not going to put a grade on his job so far as much as a big, heartfelt Thank You for stepping up, taking the reigns with calm confidence, keeping our recruits while adding a few new faces, slowly assembling a coaching staff, and handling this whole situation like you did. You could have hit the door running after the funeral but you didn't. So thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing your beginning steps as a head coach.
This.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is a dumb point. Not all 8-4s are created equally. That season was one of the most colossal 17-ups in MSU football history.

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
So far, he gets an A. He is saying the right things.

There is not a better period for a coach than the time between hired and the first game. It's all r
So far, he gets an A. He is saying the right things.

There is not a better period for a coach than the time between hired and the first game. It's all roses.
Google these words....Mike Price Alabama
:)

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Cook and patdog

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
I like that he stepped up and took control, got his staff worked out, kept the recruiting class pretty much intact, and kept most of the players from hitting the portal.
I hope I am still happy with the hire come December.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This is a dumb point. Not all 8-4s are created equally. That season was one of the most colossal 17-ups in MSU football history.
Exactly my point to begin with, things aren't as they seem because they can turn quickly from one to another so lets not be getting all giddy about about some success in 6 weeks of the off season. This past season was a very underwhelming 9-4 season for me much as you say that 8-4 season was, it wasn't a 17up but it was very much underwhelming

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Exactly my point to begin with, things aren't as they seem because they can turn quickly from one to another so lets not be getting all giddy about about some success in 6 weeks of the off season. This past season was a very underwhelming 9-4 season for me much as you say that 8-4 season was, it wasn't a 17up but it was very much underwhelming
Why was last seasons 9-4 record underwhelming ? That’s kind of a new one on me. I guess if I was a Georgia or Ohio State fan, 9-4 would be underwhelming. We might go a few seasons before we see 9-4 again, I’m not sure I would crap on that record. Do you think 10 or 11 wins should be the floor next year ?

Reactions: PhredPhantom

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Why was last seasons 9-4 record underwhelming ? That’s kind of a new one on me. I guess if I was a Georgia or Ohio State fan, 9-4 would be underwhelming. We might go a few seasons before we see 9-4 again, I’m not sure I would crap on that record. Do you think 10 or 11 wins should be the floor next year ?
Losing to LSU when we led at halftime and giving up 21 points in the 4th to them and only scored 3 in the entire 2nd half was underwhelming. Tied w/ KY at half w/ only 3 points then getting outscored 24-14 in the 2nd half to lose to an eventual 7-6 team was underwhelming. Putting up only 1 measly TD w/ under 4 minutes to go when we were down 30-0 to Bama was underwhelming. Having a 24-6 lead against Auburn at half only to have to go to overtime to pull it out against a team w/ a new interim coach/cheerleader was underwhelming. Beating up on E TN St, Bowling Green, a 7-6 Memphis and a 5-7 Arizona team just aren't overwhelmingly exciting to me. Sure its 9-4 but we made fun of Ole Miss about beating up on buttercups to start the season 7-0, we beat up on 4 buttercups and lost to some we shouldn't have. That underwhelms me when it comes to watching football.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
Wow, you have high standards. I’m not sure Arnett will go undefeated next year, we play several toss up games. Unless you are one of the four teams to make the playoffs , just about every program drops one they could have possibly won.

Given your expectations and our improved coaching staff, do you see us going 10-3, 11-2 next year ?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I give him a A just for the "Get on the Refs *** factor." Neither JO nor Mike would do it. Hell Arnette got on that ref's *** more in one game than the other two did the entire time at State.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
8-4 in 2022 was an overachievement, 8-4 in 2018 was an underachievement. It's really that simple.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I'm personally a fan of the Arnett hire. That said, this is like giving out grades the first week of school. Patience grasshopper.
Well, bowl game and multiple signing days is one hell of a first week. Recruiting is literally half of their job, and he stepped into a situation where a drop in talent was almost assured. He held it together and hell even won some battles. The coaching changes took me by surprise, but you have to admit the staff that is in place is very interesting and our new focus is going to play well with Mississippi players.

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
Well, bowl game and multiple signing days is one hell of a first week. Recruiting is literally half of their job, and he stepped into a situation where a drop in talent was almost assured. He held it together and hell even won some battles. The coaching changes took me by surprise, but you have to admit the staff that is in place is very interesting and our new focus is going to play well with Mississippi players.
This was exactly my point. I understand the man has only coached one game but considering what he has gone through a little recognition is deserved in my opinion. It isn't like he just to named last week and hasn't been tested or faced any trials yet. I think it pains some people to say anything remotely positive about a MSU coach.

Reactions: operch

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Losing to LSU when we led at halftime and giving up 21 points in the 4th to them and only scored 3 in the entire 2nd half was underwhelming. Tied w/ KY at half w/ only 3 points then getting outscored 24-14 in the 2nd half to lose to an eventual 7-6 team was underwhelming. Putting up only 2 measly field goals the whole game and late in the 4th when we were down 30-0 to Bama was underwhelming. Having a 24-6 lead against Auburn at half only to have to go to overtime to pull it out was overwhelming. Beating up on E TN St, Bowling Green, a 7-6 Memphis and a 5-7 Arizona team just aren't overwhelmingly exciting to me. Sure its 9-4 but we made fun of Ole Miss about beating up on buttercups to start the season 7-0, we beat up on 4 buttercups and lost to some we shouldn't have. That underwhelms me when it comes to watching football.
If last season was underwhelming for you, then you will never be happy as a MSU football fan.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login