Arnett's Job Performance So Far

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hindsight is 20/15, but last years team should have won 9 games in the regular season, even though I was not disappointed with 8-4
No, they shouldn’t have. All 4 losses were by multiple scores. Just because we got up on LSU does not mean we ‘should’ have beaten them.

We had two wins with closer scores. You can’t have it both ways.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
No, they shouldn’t have. All 4 losses were by multiple scores. Just because we got up on LSU does not mean we ‘should’ have beaten them.

We had two wins with closer scores. You can’t have it both ways.
I can have it my way according to Burger King. LSU was not a really good team when State pissed that game away early in the season, and UK was mediocre at best from start to finish. State was PUTRID against Kentucky. Ole Miss was in a free fall at seasons end. AU was a dumpster fire. Arkansas is our beotch. TAMU sucked. Nevertheless, winning the golden egg and the bowl game resulted in a very nice season. I was pleased

Reactions: msstatelp1

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Seems to be an B. But can't answer that completely until I see what he does in year 1 with a relatively older team. I am on record saying he probably should have retained the Air Raid guys for at least one year due to experience (therefore extending them the same grace that Keenum showed Arnett). But I'm willing to wait and see if his offensive decisions are the right ones.

Crootin is definitely going well, though.
I like Keenum, but I doubt his promoting Zach as HC had anything to do with "extending grace". I think he realized we did not have near enough time to conduct a search and secure a better candidate in time to save recruiting. He also knew Arnett is a hot commodity who would no doubt have received other offers and with the guy who hired him gone, would have even less reason to stay.

Keeping Arnett was important. Getting an HC in place rapidly was important, in particular with a potential NIL bloodbath and signing day looming. Promoting ZA was the only way we were gonna be able to do both.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Have any of you forgotten that even Sloe Joe Moorhead went 8-4 his first year and then fired the next? Pull the reigns back boys and slow the horses down, this show hasn't even started, its definitely "the first week of school" as PooPops said
I agree about slowing down, but let's not forget that 8 and 4 team was the most talented defense MSU has ever had and should have won double digits.

Reactions: PBRME

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Losing to LSU when we led at halftime and giving up 21 points in the 4th to them and only scored 3 in the entire 2nd half was underwhelming. Tied w/ KY at half w/ only 3 points then getting outscored 24-14 in the 2nd half to lose to an eventual 7-6 team was underwhelming. Putting up only 2 measly field goals the whole game and late in the 4th when we were down 30-0 to Bama was underwhelming. Having a 24-6 lead against Auburn at half only to have to go to overtime to pull it out was overwhelming. Beating up on E TN St, Bowling Green, a 7-6 Memphis and a 5-7 Arizona team just aren't overwhelmingly exciting to me. Sure its 9-4 but we made fun of Ole Miss about beating up on buttercups to start the season 7-0, we beat up on 4 buttercups and lost to some we shouldn't have. That underwhelms me when it comes to watching football.
Hey pal, that wasn’t 2 measly field goals against Bama…that was a damn touchdown.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
8-4 for that team SUCKED. One of the best defenses we've ever had in the history of the school with 3 first round draft picks and what SHOULD have been a good offense had JoMo not tried to make Fitz a pocket passer. That team should have won 10 games that season with a shot at 11.
You responded to my / a post that I didn't write. I musta made an error as it was written by someone else.

Last edited:

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
So far so good. I like his business-like approach. But let's review this again next year same time.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
If last season was underwhelming for you, then you will never be happy as a MSU football fan.
If you were satisfied and not disappointed (underwhelmed) about all of the things I listed then you have extremely low expectations. If you want to sit there season after season marking AL, GA, usually LSU, usually FL, usually TN, as losses before the season and being happy w/ the performances I discussed, knock yourself out then if that makes you happy. Then that leaves AU, KY, AR, as toss ups you may be happy about one year and disappointed the next. That leaves you w/ being overwhelmed w/ glee about beating AZ, Memphis, E TN St, and Bowling Green, congratulations.

Last edited:

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
We'll see how he does, but so far I like what he is saying and he is more impressive in front of media than I thought he would be at this stage in his HC career.

QMartinez

Jan 17, 2023
If you were satisfied and not disappointed (underwhelmed) about all of the things I listed then you have extremely low expectations. If you want to sit there season after season marking AL, GA, usually LSU, usually FL, usually TN, as losses before the season and being happy w/ the performances I discussed, knock yourself out then if that makes you happy. Then that leaves AU, KY, AR, as toss ups you may be happy about one year and disappointed the next. That leave you w/ being overwhelmed w/ glee about beating AZ, Memphis, E TN St, and Bowling Green, congratulations.
I’m looking at the schedule in 2023, if you apply your same high standards to arnett , you are going to be screaming for the guy to be fired after one season. You think last years 9-4 was awful under Leach Right ?

Well we start out with LSU, Alabama, at South Carolina,at Auburn, at Arkansas, at Texas a&m, So you may want to lower your high standards or get good at making excuses.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I haven't said one word about them being awful or anyone being fired, not one, your words not mine. The word I used was underwhelmed. If you need a further explanation for 9-4 and underwhelmed I will say I was bored with the so called "Air Raid" for 3 seasons, disappointed in their up and down performance from week to week and even half to half. I was underwhelmed w/ receivers (as was Leach, see chairs being folded on sideline and him talking about little hands and arms) I was bored w/ dump passes to receivers out of the backfield and getting 4 when we needed 8. It's been painful to watch week after week, season after season. Its better than getting beaten but its far from fun or entertaining to watch. I'm done, you're obviously a 'glass half full so lets celebrate because we have something to drink' guy and I'm disappointed because half the glass is gone but it should have been fuller than it is.

1675437418887.png

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Losing to LSU when we led at halftime and giving up 21 points in the 4th to them and only scored 3 in the entire 2nd half was underwhelming. Tied w/ KY at half w/ only 3 points then getting outscored 24-14 in the 2nd half to lose to an eventual 7-6 team was underwhelming. Putting up only 1 measly TD w/ under 4 minutes to go when we were down 30-0 to Bama was underwhelming. Having a 24-6 lead against Auburn at half only to have to go to overtime to pull it out against a team w/ a new interim coach/cheerleader was underwhelming. Beating up on E TN St, Bowling Green, a 7-6 Memphis and a 5-7 Arizona team just aren't overwhelmingly exciting to me. Sure its 9-4 but we made fun of Ole Miss about beating up on buttercups to start the season 7-0, we beat up on 4 buttercups and lost to some we shouldn't have. That underwhelms me when it comes to watching football.
According to USA today we had the number 5 SOS for 2022.

LSU finished 10-4 and with the #3 SOS
Kentucky finished 7-6 with the #16 SOS

According to https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

We had # 11
LSU had # 5
Kentucky had #32

Were Kentucky and LSU dissapointing? Yes, but if 9-4 is "underwhelming" to you, i'd hate to know how you feel about most other seasons.

I mean was 2014 underwhelming b/c of Ole Miss and Georgia Tech?

Mississippi State fans can't get out of their own way.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'm not going to put a grade on his job so far as much as a big, heartfelt Thank You for stepping up, taking the reigns with calm confidence, keeping our recruits while adding a few new faces, slowly assembling a coaching staff, and handling this whole situation like you did. You could have hit the door running after the funeral but you didn't. So thanks and I'm looking forward to seeing your beginning steps as a head coach.
Agree with you and @Maroon Eagle here

We are the living embodiment of "managing chaos" right now -- which is impressive given the fact that the MSU culture thrives on stability and the "knowns." There are things happening - both seen and unseen - that make this a difficult for me to say "I expect a record of ______" or some other potentially subjective metric.

I'm watching for other intangibles that demonstrate the architecture of a sustainable program for the long haul. So far, I like what I see from all sides - coaching, players, and the administration.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Wow, you have high standards. I’m not sure Arnett will go undefeated next year, we play several toss up games. Unless you are one of the four teams to make the playoffs , just about every program drops one they could have possibly won.

Given your expectations and our improved coaching staff, do you see us going 10-3, 11-2 next year ?
8-4 and 9-4 with the bowl game.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
If you were satisfied and not disappointed (underwhelmed) about all of the things I listed then you have extremely low expectations. If you want to sit there season after season marking AL, GA, usually LSU, usually FL, usually TN, as losses before the season and being happy w/ the performances I discussed, knock yourself out then if that makes you happy. Then that leaves AU, KY, AR, as toss ups you may be happy about one year and disappointed the next. That leaves you w/ being overwhelmed w/ glee about beating AZ, Memphis, E TN St, and Bowling Green, congratulations.
We have been playing football for 118 years. We have won nine or more games in 10 of those years. I’m not going to be underwhelmed when we do something for only the 10th time in 118 years.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login