As much as I love attending Opening Day..........

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
facing temps for Fri. evening in the low 30's, then high of 47 on Sat., and high of 57 on Sunday will likely limit me to going only to the Sunday game. My general rule is I don't sit for 3-4 hrs. in temps less than 50 degrees. I agree with the B10 that baseball season should be moved back a full month and start no earlier than March 15. The CWS could be played in July instead of June without any problem. It rarely is ever above 40-50 degrees in Starkvegas during February and many times, much colder. Would help the B10 and help us to move the season later by one month.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I agree, baseball in Feb just ain't right. I like things to be fair to all as well and if I were in the Big 10 I'd be pissed off at the disadvantage. Their gripes are legit IMO.

Reactions: DerHntr and patdog

wasabaka

Sep 17, 2012
Two counterpoints to that:

1) Why would we give a shite about B10 baseball?
2) Pushing the CWS back to July would impact the ability of those who are in it to participate in the Cape Cod/Summer Leagues, would it not? Those are prime time development opportunities for many players for high profile programs such as ours.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Two counterpoints to that:

1) Why would we give a shite about B10 baseball?
2) Pushing the CWS back to July would impact the ability of those who are in it to participate in the Cape Cod/Summer Leagues, would it not? Those are prime time development opportunities for many players for high profile programs such as ours.
The CWS would end on about July 25-27. Only 2 teams left anyway. Many players who didn't make the CWS could go ahead and go on to those leagues. And the players who were in the CWS up to some point, could join those summer teams when they get eliminated. A month to 6 weeks of those summer leagues is enough IMO. They can adjust to the new timelines. I don't care about the B10 baseball. My bigger concern is playing our games in warmer weather and to avoid the injuries to arms and legs in freezing type weather. The SEC will beat the B10 ten times out of ten in baseball anyway.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Take it from me, watching baseball in freezing weather is not fun having done it in Dallas, Biloxi & Starkville. But for some reason I keep going back.....

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It rarely is ever above 40-50 degrees in Starkvegas during February and many times, much colder.
The cold clouds your memory because those very cold days are so miserable for you. Baseball season starts around the 15th of February. I looked back at the past 6 years of daily temp data from Feb 15-28/29 each year in Tupelo (Starkville not available, but I doubt Starkville is normally any colder than Tupelo on a given Feb day.)

17% had highs below 50°
53% had highs between 50°and 70°
30% had highs above 70°

So you have an 83% chance of being above 50° with a good shot to go over 70°.

You do not want to move the season back. It's a distinct advantage for southern schools like ours in not only preparation, but recruiting. From a fan standpoint, yes a cold weekend sucks every few years in February/March. I was at the entire 2019 Frisco Tournament for every pitch with a 5 year old, even the other games we didn't play in. It was cold. But I also had season tickets back in the day to the Rangers and nothing is as miserable as sitting in 100°+ temps with no shade for 3 hours. Heat casualties were everywhere.

People would have actual heat strokes in late June and early July regionals and supers in Starkville during the day. Imagine hosting regionals and supers last year in Starkville in these kinds of temps:

Screenshot_20230209-064420.png

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
My general rule is I don't sit for 3-4 hrs. in temps less than 50 degrees.
Seriously? What is the issue? Being somewhat prepared (adequate clothing) can make most temps doable. I rode my bicycle to a UofL football game when it was 24 degrees. Flask of bourbon. No worries.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The cold clouds your memory because those very cold days are so miserable for you. Baseball season starts around the 15th of February. I looked back at the past 6 years of daily temp data from Feb 15-28/29 each year in Tupelo (Starkville not available, but I doubt Starkville is normally any colder than Tupelo on a given Feb day.)

17% had highs below 50°
53% had highs between 50°and 70°
30% had highs above 70°

So you have an 83% chance of being above 50° with a good shot to go over 70°.

You do not want to move the season back. It's a distinct advantage for southern schools like ours in not only preparation, but recruiting. From a fan standpoint, yes a cold weekend sucks every few years in February/March. I was at the entire 2019 Frisco Tournament for every pitch with a 5 year old, even the other games we didn't play in. It was cold. But I also had season tickets back in the day to the Rangers and nothing is as miserable as sitting in 100°+ temps with no shade for 3 hours. Heat casualties were everywhere.

People would have actual heat strokes in late June and early July regionals and supers in Starkville during the day. Imagine hosting regionals and supers last year in Starkville in these kinds of temps:

View attachment 308256
My immediate thoughts also. I wouldn't want to trade off where we avoid some occasional ****** weather baseball games in February to guarantee more hot games later. Plus, that would guarantee something like 4 SEC weekends took place after students have finished the spring semester? What would that do to our crowds? I guess it would make summer school pretty fun for students attending I guess, although there'd be some pretty damn sweaty games in June.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I don’t like the cold weather. I have never been cold until I discovered “Spring” baseball. I show up with all kind of clothes and a blanket, but count on this-I will show up. I gets me that the dang students will show up in shorts. There’s a short circuit there somewhere.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have never been cold until I discovered “Spring” baseball. I show up with all kind of clothes and a blanket, but count on this-I will show up. I gets me that the dang students will show up in shorts. There’s a short circuit there somewhere.
Never go duck hunting. You will die.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login