Ask the Pack. KC BBQ

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Flying in MCI in the morning. Where's a must eat BBQ restaurant in that area? Nothing fancy, I'd prefer a hole in the wall.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Fight the urge to got to Gates, BBQ is ok and they yell at you when you order, not a fan.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I like Joe’s. The main one is in a gas station, lines are consistently out the door. They also have a couple of bigger locations in the suburbs.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Arthur Bryants is the mecca.
Joe's is great and has been for a while now.
I went to Q39 on my last visit, it's damn good. Maybe best burnt ends I've had.

But yeah if you want the historic BBQ joint hole in the wall experience, go to the original Bryants.

KC_Dawg

Jun 30, 2021
I moved to KC about 2 years ago. If you are looking for some good BBQ as soon as you get off the plane, look no further than Scott's Kitchen and Catering at Hanger 29, the smoked turkey is the most tender I have ever had and his brisket and burnt ends are great too. My wife loves the jalepeno apple slaw too so if you like slaw it's worth a try.

I prefer KC Joe's (historic location) over most of the other bbq joints I have had here. Their sandwiches are so good (rocket q) and their burnt ends are great. Q39 was a little pricy and the quality didn't seem to measure up. I have never had aurthur bryants, but it's a staple.

Another good one that doesn't get a ton of hype is called little bbq joint. Their bacon chip app is great or was the last time I had it. Pulled pork sandwich was overflowing with pork. Burnt ends and brisket are great too.

If you want to venture north of KC, hit up this little town called weston and eat at tin kitchen, it is delicious. Everything is homemade and it is about the only small town that I have seen that has it figured out. It is thriving in a time where main street in most places is crumbling. Enjoy your stay here.

Last edited:

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
When we played at Kansas State in 2018 I flew into KC and ate at Joe's. I'm of the opinion that it's hard to mess up barbecue (although it can be done) so I'm not THAT hard to please. That being said, Joe's was good and I would go again if I found myself in KC.

Last edited:

msubrave

Nov 17, 2015
I ate at one right by the airport before and it was as good as any restaurant bbq I've had. Scott's

Badger Troll

Jul 20, 2022
Screw Arthur Bryant. I went in there the minute it opened. Ordered chicken and ribs. They told me it would two hours. "for which one'? Both was the reply. So I ordered a brisket sandwich. It was fatty with no flavor. I mean, WTF?! Two hours. Is this your first day doing bbq? Then 10 minutes later, I go to the bathroom to vomit up the **** they called brisket and there's a customer eating chicken and ribs. F them. Q39 is the best bbq in KC, hands down.

Badger Troll

Jul 20, 2022
Jack Stack is good. Several Locations
A Little BBQ Joint is good, Its in Independence about 15 miles east of KC>
Jousting Pigs is good in Liberty about 10 minutes NE of KC
Char Bar is fantastic, second best to Q39
Danny Edwards, Smokehouse BBQ and SMoking Guns is garbage.
Wabash in Excelsior Springs is good

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Kids were starving so we went to Scott's since it was 5 minutes fr the airport. It was solid.

WYDawg

May 25, 2022
Sat next to 2 Vandy fans from KC last year. Asked them about the 6th inning where we should eat lunch as we were driving thru the next day. They simultaneously said Joe’s in the gas station. Reminded us as they got up to leave and head home in the bottom of the 7th. We got there at 10:45 and were 2nd in line. When they started taking orders at 11 the line was out the door. Damn they were right, best I have ever had in my 60 years.

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
Slap's in KCK has the best pork ribs I've ever had. Joe's in Mission KS if you're into BBQ sandwiches (z-man is legit). Jack's Stack if you want great burnt ends and really good sides (they're all over, but Crossroads is probably the closest to the airport).

If you're in Westport, an underrated BBQ place is Char Bar. It was incredible and one of my favorite places in KC.

If you're further south in KCMO, BBs Lawnside is really good too.

I personally pass on Q39. It was ok and overpriced, didn't understand the hype. Tried it a second time and still didn't get it.

Whatever you do, know that KC burnt ends are usually very good, but their standard brisket is not (too lean).

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login