One thing that might make us football competitive.......

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Go find a triple option coach and work into it a passing game. It can be done and if done effectively, would be difficult for SEC powers to prepare for in just one week. We could recruit a nice stable of RBs and only need 2-3 stud receivers and a couple good TEs. A well-oiled triple option is very difficult to defend against, And a QB who can run it well himself plus be a fairly decent passer would be dynamite. I think the situation we find ourselves in, a good triple option could produce 7-9 wins pretty much every year with an occasional 10 win season. I would be good with that.

Reactions: bulldoghair

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
That sounds like the same general idea when we decided to be an air raid offense with Leach.

I actually liked that idea when he was here. It made it easier to compete for players because the players we would go after for the air raid were not the same players every other team was going after for a “standard” offense.

Leach was the original inventor of the air raid, had been using it longer than anyone else, and was better with it than anyone else.

I’m not saying it was ever a type of offense that would win championships but it would allow us, with our limited budget, to get the kind of players needed for it because other teams were recruiting a different kind of players.

The same principle would apply with a triple option offense. The problem is that there may not be a triple option coach who is as good with it as Leach was with the air raid.

Just my two cents.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
That sounds like the same general idea when we decided to be an air raid offense with Leach.

I actually liked that idea when he was here. It made it easier to compete for players because the players we would go after for the air raid were not the same players every other team was going after for a “standard” offense.

Leach was the original inventor of the air raid, had been using it longer than anyone else, and was better with it than anyone else.

I’m not saying it was ever a type of offense that would win championships but it would allow us, with our limited budget, to get the kind of players needed for it because other teams were recruiting a different kind of players.

The same principle would apply with a triple option offense. The problem is that there may not be a triple option coach who is as good with it as Leach was with the air raid.

Just my two cents.
Maybe a service academy coach. And they usually like to field strong defenses too. Yeah, not many choices out there. I noticed Navy was incorporating more passing into their triple option and seemed to be very effective. I had a hard time telling when they might pass or not.

Reactions: bulldoghair

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Pretty much the players that Rocky recruited and then Jackie and Watson Brown coached up in 91-92 is the blue print. We were mostly an option offense. However we keep teams honest with Harris and Truitt at WR.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Go find a triple option coach and work into it a passing game. It can be done and if done effectively, would be difficult for SEC powers to prepare for in just one week. We could recruit a nice stable of RBs and only need 2-3 stud receivers and a couple good TEs. A well-oiled triple option is very difficult to defend against, And a QB who can run it well himself plus be a fairly decent passer would be dynamite. I think the situation we find ourselves in, a good triple option could produce 7-9 wins pretty much every year with an occasional 10 win season. I would be good with that.
I’ve been saying this since we had the chance to hire Paul Johnson, probably twice. Since he was at Georgia Southern, and then went back Navy. We hired Crooms instead.

Reactions: Prince of Darkness

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Pretty much the players that Rocky recruited and then Jackie and Watson Brown coached up in 91-92 is the blue print. We were mostly an option offense. However we keep teams honest with Harris and Truitt at WR.
Yes Watson had the ball rolling with my personal favorite quarterback of all time, Sleepy Robinson. We had the number one option rated quarterback in the country, that had just let his team in LaGrange Georgia to the USA Today number one ranking in America, Rodney Hudson ready to take over. Then Watson left and Jackie changed the offense to pro style.

Reactions: Prince of Darkness
Oct 31, 2022
I've always said that if your are not as talented, you have to be different. Vandy has embraced a pistol option style attack with some serious misdirection & its working. Navy & Army are both 5-0 and have morphed from straight flexbone to a various formation option attack (Gun & Under Center). It's the most beautiful thing to watch in football when its done right!!!

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
😂 Hell Naw!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login