Ask the Pack:OT: Best Place to Live

Sep 7, 2007
TLDR:
Calis like no state taxes too so ultimately it’s Texas’s fault for being too successful. 😂

Details:
My stepfather - native Californian - told me recently about how two of his granddaughters (I guess they’d be my step-nieces) got substantial take home pay increases when their California-based jobs transferred them to the Austin area.
I swear I'll quit bumping this old post, but I had to respond to this.

When Rick Perry was wooing Cali companies in the early 00s, trying to get them to move to Texas, he was simultaneously promising Texans that they would relocate here and hire TEXANS. Or at least people already living in Texas.

But that's not what happened. All of those big companies offered their Cali employees the chance to relocate first. When Covid hit, it was a flood.

Nobody expected the unrelenting waves of migrant Calis to stream in here, which paired with their predatory bidding above asking price cultural norms has created quite the hyperinflationary housing crisis. And I still see their tags coming in daily. Saw one today at a farmer's market where my daughter had a booth in Dripping Springs. How and why would Calis target this place??

Anyway--born in Cali in the early 70s but grew up in Mississippi from age 5, so I'm not one of *those* Calis who moved to Texas.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login