Ask the Pack: Saraland, AL

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Got a job offer there, significantly more money, visited yesterday and seems nice. Other than being just outside of Mobile, I don’t know much about the place.

I’m sure some of you can provide me with some info.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Stopped in there many a time, headed to the coast (and or coming back)

Smoke house, barbecue place has good food. (haven't been thru there lately)

Last edited:

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
It’s ok - most young professionals live on the eastern side of the bay or west mobile. Mobile area is not a bad area to raise a family plus it’s a quick drive to FL panhandle to blue water and white sands.

Rushisaband

May 31, 2016
Actually Saraland is a very nice growing community! Nice place to raise a family. If you don’t mind the drive , you should also check out the eastern shore! Daphne, Fairhope and Spanish fort are also awesome! I live in Fairhope and have no complaints! Very cool, hip place to live.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Sir you used 3 exclamation points in one post. This happy optimistic aggressive behavior cannot stand.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Already raised a family. This is a bachelor in mid life crisis mode.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Actually Saraland is a very nice growing community! Nice place to raise a family. If you don’t mind the drive , you should also check out the eastern shore! Daphne, Fairhope and Spanish fort are also awesome! I live in Fairhope and have no complaints! Very cool, hip place to live.

Do you have a room?

And yes, Rush is a band.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Got a job offer there, significantly more money, visited yesterday and seems nice. Other than being just outside of Mobile, I don’t know much about the place.

I’m sure some of you can provide me with some info.

Was in Mobile recently and was impressed. My expectations were it was Jxn/Memphis/BR south, but i was wrong, it actually has a republican mayor and in spite of being larger, it has only 1/3 the murders of Jxn (yes, I know low bar). People of all races were milling around downtown all night, this would NEVER happen in Jxn. Mobile compared to an average US city of 200k is probably meh, Mobile compared to a southern city of 200k (MS/AL/GA) is in the top half.

Nov 29, 2017
I live in West Mobile, Saraland is nice and is growing like crazy. You really could live anywhere in the area and commute there.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I’m white and definitely used to mill around downtown Jackson in mixed race establishments. But there was always this feeling of “wander down the street a block and you might die”. Wandered anyway and fortunately I survived

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’m white and definitely used to mill around downtown Jackson in mixed race establishments. But there was always this feeling of “wander down the street a block and you might die”. Wandered anyway and fortunately I survived

You haven't milled around downtown jacktown late at night in many, many years. In Mobile you can walk hundreds of yards to dozens of bars at all hours of the night. Even in the best of times of Jxn, there wasn't much of a walkable bar scene. Even in "The Fondren," the streets are rolled up by 9pm.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Was in Mobile recently and was impressed. My expectations were it was Jxn/Memphis/BR south, but i was wrong, it actually has a republican mayor and in spite of being larger, it has only 1/3 the murders of Jxn (yes, I know low bar). People of all races were milling around downtown all night, this would NEVER happen in Jxn. Mobile compared to an average US city of 200k is probably meh, Mobile compared to a southern city of 200k (MS/AL/GA) is in the top half.
Mobile is not larger than Jackson, nimrod. At least keep your hatred of Jackson rooted in some sort of reality.

Of course you are going to link to census or whatever that shows less people in the city limits. We all know that is ********. Jackson's metro is significantly larger than Mobile's and there are suburb lines drawn all over the place. Have you checked the murder rate of Prichard lately?

Using city limits is the 'factual' way the idiots in Huntsville say they are bigger than freaking Birmingham. El Oh El.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
You haven't milled around downtown jacktown late at night in many, many years. In Mobile you can walk hundreds of yards to dozens of bars at all hours of the night. Even in the best of times of Jxn, there wasn't much of a walkable bar scene. Even in "The Fondren," the streets are rolled up by 9pm.

There aren’t many safe places but martins and Hal and mals do just fine at night

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Downtown Mobile is having a bit of a revival. I have friends that are buying and restoring old houses in downtown. Some they flip and some the rent and some are corporate rentals. Lot of nice bars and restaurants in the area. We’ve visited several times and walked everywhere without feeling unsafe.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Mobile is not larger than Jackson, nimrod. At least keep your hatred of Jackson rooted in some sort of reality.

Of course you are going to link to census or whatever that shows less people in the city limits. We all know that is ********. Jackson's metro is significantly larger than Mobile's and there are suburb lines drawn all over the place. Have you checked the murder rate of Prichard lately?

Using city limits is the 'factual' way the idiots in Huntsville say they are bigger than freaking Birmingham. El Oh El.

Jackson metro MSA square miles- 3,795 sq mi.
Mobile metro MSA Square miles- 1, 644 sq mi.

When a metro is over double the land, even with the anchor city smaller, it isnt surprising that the metro has a larger population.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Not sure what amount of data would make this statistically significant, but I propose the following theorem about posting on SPS:

A thread about literally any city / municipality in the entire world will, eventually, somehow devolve into a thread about Jackson at some point.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Duh, which number is bigger?

Mobile -189,994 (2020 population)
Jackson - 163,778 (2020 population)

I always say we have the dumbest fans, but you people continually prove it.

Mobile 50ish murders per year. Jxn, 150ish murders per year.

Other than Canton (15ish murders per year) no other suburb around Jxn has significant crime. Madison, Flowood, Clinton, Pearl Ridgeland, etc., are certainly no longer extensions of Jxn and there is very little cooperation or interaction of the leaders of surrounding cities with the leadership of Jackson.

Absolutely no hatred of Jxn, I have worked there for 25 years and lived in Jxn at various points. I want Jxn to succeed as that would not only be good for central MS, but the entire state. Unfortunately pure lunacy runs Jxn and I don't see that ending anything soon.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Downtown Mobile is having a bit of a revival. I have friends that are buying and restoring old houses in downtown. Some they flip and some the rent and some are corporate rentals. Lot of nice bars and restaurants in the area. We’ve visited several times and walked everywhere without feeling unsafe.

Also Fondren Public, not sure if FJC is still rocking. I would love to see Jxn section off part of a downtown street and set up a mini Beale Street. Many places that this can be done. This was the vision behind Farish Street revitalization, but unfortunately graft and corruption killed that. I still think life can be revived in that project. Obviously heavy security would have to be implemented. This could even be done at the fairgrounds (when events are not going on), but that require state and city cooperation, which is unlikely.

Last edited:

Robburl9

Jul 24, 2014
If you can afford it, live in mobile or even better Fairhope. I have done significant work in Saraland and if you are a bachelor, the best choice is mobile/Fairhope. Fairhope is the "Mountain Brook" of the coast (don't mean that as a negative as some would think) and would make it worth it regardless of the 45 minute commute. Only negative of the greater mobile community is private schools being fairly mandatory and the residents being very clicky. So if you don't have school age kids, do the commute.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Duh, which number is bigger?

Mobile -189,994 (2020 population)
Jackson - 163,778 (2020 population)

I always say we have the dumbest fans, but you people continually prove it.

Mobile 50ish murders per year. Jxn, 150ish murders per year.

Other than Canton (15ish murders per year) no other suburb around Jxn has significant crime. Madison, Flowood, Clinton, Pearl Ridgeland, etc., are certainly no longer extensions of Jxn and there is very little cooperation or interaction of the leaders of surrounding cities with the leadership of Jackson.

Absolutely no hatred of Jxn, I have worked there for 25 years and lived in Jxn at various points. I want Jxn to succeed as that would not only be good for central MS, but the entire state. Unfortunately pure lunacy runs Jxn and I don't see that ending anything soon.
I knew you couldn’t resist. Came with the exact same bad stats that I figured you’d use.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Good fishing. Bayou Sara is somewhat productive and right there. You are maybe an hour from Dauphin Island, where the surf and offshore fishing is great. There is a really good BBQ place in Citronelle, which isn't far from there. Just stay out of Prichard. People from Jackson shouldn't go there.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Thanks for the replies fellas. Looks like I need to think about moving to Jackson, or downtown Mobile, never go to Pritchard, I’ll die, fishing is good, good bbq somewhere, and the Spanish are awesome! That about it?

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Thanks for the replies fellas. Looks like I need to think about moving to Jackson, or downtown Mobile, never go to Pritchard, I’ll die, fishing is good, good bbq somewhere, and the Spanish are awesome! That about it?

Memphis is the Prichard of TN. It’s good advice

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Memphis is the Prichard of TN. It’s good advice

Oh yeah, much appreciated. I love to fish, love bbq, and never been to some of the surrounding places so I’ll have to check them out.

What about the women?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Well, if he's not going into Prichard, why would he care? Jackson's crime is bad in large part because it's not avoidable. Most cities have very safe places and very dangerous places. Jackson unfortunately doesn't have very safe places in the city limits any more. It may be somewhat luck that the dangerous parts of Mobile MSA are actually an adjacent municapality, but it provides good info. You can be inside mobile city limits and feel reasonably safe (I assume there are still some parts in the city that are off limits; haven't spent much time in Mobile, but when I was there a few times around 18 years ago, downtown did not feel super safe. Felt kind of like a smaller new orleans. Ok on the main thoroughfares but never more than a block or two from somewhere you shouldn't be.).

And as far as the total MSA population, there is something to be said for population density. A lot of people in the Jackson MSA population count rarely ever go into Jackson proper so they don't help Jackson support any amenities. On the flip side, I think the Daphne Fairhope area is its own MSA, so they don't count for Mobile even though it's just as much a bedroom community to Mobile as Madison is to Jackson.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Well, if he's not going into Prichard, why would he care? Jackson's crime is bad in large part because it's not avoidable. Most cities have very safe places and very dangerous places. Jackson unfortunately doesn't have very safe places in the city limits any more. It may be somewhat luck that the dangerous parts of Mobile MSA are actually an adjacent municapality, but it provides good info. You can be inside mobile city limits and feel reasonably safe (I assume there are still some parts in the city that are off limits; haven't spent much time in Mobile, but when I was there a few times around 18 years ago, downtown did not feel super safe. Felt kind of like a smaller new orleans. Ok on the main thoroughfares but never more than a block or two from somewhere you shouldn't be.).

And as far as the total MSA population, there is something to be said for population density. A lot of people in the Jackson MSA population count rarely ever go into Jackson proper so they don't help Jackson support any amenities. On the flip side, I think the Daphne Fairhope area is its own MSA, so they don't count for Mobile even though it's just as much a bedroom community to Mobile as Madison is to Jackson.
MSAs are compiled for a reason. Commuter trends and all that. There are apparently less people making than commute across the bridge than you think. Really doesn’t matter how spread out it is if the MSA links it together.

Mobile has had 2 things that have helped it - squeaked in enough votes for a good mayor, and Airbus. It doesn’t have the overall economy that Jackson does.

They are currently attempting to annex more areas in order to keep that optimism (votes). Which is a smart move.

PointAfter

Nov 28, 2017
Saraland growing as people have gotten tired of the traffic through the tunnel to access the eastern shore, ie Fairhope. I assume housing in North Mobile is also more affordable than Daphne and Fairhope. Good restaurants downtown Mobile and easy drive to Biloxi/Gulfport/Ocean Springs. If you like the job and the money I would think that you can be satisfied with the location.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Yes, MSA’s are a thing. But people aren’t getting murdered in Madison, Brandon, Daphne, or Spanish Fort. When comparing murder rates of large cities, using the city proper population makes sense for comparison. And even if you still wanted to compare the entire MSA’s, Mobile’s is 72% the size of Jackson’s with (presumably) only 1/3 the murder rate. I’m saying that based on greenbean’s post and also making an assumption that the suburbs would not greatly affect the murder rate. Might make Mobile’s a little worse to include Prichard, might make Jackson’s a little better to include Rankin / Madison counties, but overall probably not that big of an impact. At face value, that’s ~46% of Jackson’s homicide rate (give or take), which probably still isn’t super great. But in a vacuum if those were your only two options and safety was a priority, it would be an obvious choice.

And I can also guarantee you that no one in Huntsville is bragging about being “bigger than Birmingham”. Folks here are perfectly happy to have all the same amenities as Birmingham without nearly as much sprawl, traffic, political BS, etc.

Last edited:

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Money is good, job I can do in my sleep, couple of egos I’ve got to contend with, they don’t tend to like new bosses. We’ll see.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Money is good, job I can do in my sleep, couple of egos I’ve got to contend with, they don’t tend to like new bosses. We’ll see.

Note 98 will soon connect to Saraland providing easy access to the beach for everyone north of Dallas and west of the Mississippi. May affect your house buying plans

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
MSAs are compiled for a reason. Commuter trends and all that. There are apparently less people making than commute across the bridge than you think. Really doesn’t matter how spread out it is if the MSA links it together.

Mobile has had 2 things that have helped it - squeaked in enough votes for a good mayor, and Airbus. It doesn’t have the overall economy that Jackson does.

They are currently attempting to annex more areas in order to keep that optimism (votes). Which is a smart move.

You, good sir, are truly an idiot. Please regal us with tales of Jackson's economy! Please at least attempt make a stronger argument than your previous efforts, so far you're 0-4.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You, good sir, are truly an idiot. Please regal us with tales of Jackson's economy! Please at least attempt make a stronger argument than your previous efforts, so far you're 0-4.
Are you attempting to say that a metro area of 600K, which is the business and government center of the state in which it resides, does NOT have a significant economy?

How about you look up the GDP of both MSAs?

Get back with me on that one.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login