Ask the Pack

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Being first on the slopes in light snow with fresh powder on the ground is just about better than sex.
real housewives of new york city wtf GIF

• Haha
Reactions: M R DAWGS

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I was in the U.S. Coast Guard assigned to the Cutter Polar Star, a polar class icebreaker, and went on a lovely cruise know as Operation Deep Freeze '79. Our job was to open a channel into McMurdo so supply ships can get in to resupply McMurdo. Got to go ashore in McMurdo and the opportunity to ski Mt. Erebus came up so I went. The neat thing about Mt. Erebus is it's an active volcano and there are steam vents one can warm up next to along the ski slope. The next year we went on Arctic Winter West cruise. No skiing there.
Outstanding

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
Edited for Wolf Creek prices since I suggested it in another reply.

Lift ticket $100 per day per person
Ski & Boot Rentals $55 - $60 per day per person
Airfare to Colorado/Utah
Condo Rental - ski season weekly rates similar to Destin summer prices
Food on the mountain - prices similar to eating inside the park at Disney World.
Rental SUV - $75 per day

You can avoid airfare & rental car by driving, but you spend 40 hours round trip in a car (best case) from Jackson to Wolf Creek, more if going to western Colorado or Utah.

Everything associated with a family ski trip is crazy expensive.
$100/day for lift tickets is a bargain relative to other places isn't it? Just based in a quick google search it looked like Park City was over twice that much.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
A ski trip out west will roughly cost 2x what an east coast trip will cost. Yes it’s better. 2x better? Maybe.

We do dads and sons long weekend ski trips to NC with folks we play ball with. It’s super cheap and the boys love it. Since they are only 8-10 years old, they don’t know the difference. Decent place to learn before spending piles of money to fly out west just to get hurt. I highly recommend it before breaking the bank on Vail or Telluride.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
A ski trip out west will roughly cost 2x what an east coast trip will cost. Yes it’s better. 2x better? Maybe.

We do dads and sons long weekend ski trips to NC with folks we play ball with. It’s super cheap and the boys love it. Since they are only 8-10 years old, they don’t know the difference. Decent place to learn before spending piles of money to fly out west just to get hurt. I highly recommend it before breaking the bank on Vail or Telluride.
The only real savings is the flights... If you compare something like Sugar Mountain or Snowshoe to Vail or Deer Valley, yes the west is more expensive. There are a hundred other resorts out here that are 1/4 the price of the big ones.

Unlike the ice coast, we get great snow... And lots of it. The biggest factor in learning to ski and enjoying it is conditions. Man made snow and wet east coast snow can be very sticky/grabby. The warm weather back east melts the snow during the day and freezes it at night turning it into crushed ice.

If you are able to make last minute plans and wait for great conditions for a 3 day weekend, east coast skiing can be good. If you need to plan spring break skiing in August, your asking for trouble on the east coast.

As for costs... We did an all inclusive thing at Silver Mountain in Kellogg, Idaho back at the end of March. Stayed in a 2 bedroom condo. All the ski gear was stored in lockers near the lobby. We would get dressed and ride a Gondola from the front door of the hotel all the way up to the mountain. It's was great. The resort also has an indoor water park.

So 3 days of water park tickets, lift tickets, and a really nice condo was just under $1400 for a family of 4 all in. $450 a day was worth it for the hotel and water park... Skiing was a great bonus. 3 days of ski in/ski out and lift tickets in Big Sky or Breckenridge would be $3000 or more.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I hate the cold, but these pics demand an SPS road trip to Idaho! I can muster up a blue tent or 2.
Ski tailgating is a blast. We set up where you can ski right to the tailgate and ski right back out.

We get to the mountain about 8:15 and just hit the lift for first tracks at 8:30. I'll make 5-6 runs and come back and set up the tailgate and start drinking beer around 10:00 while everyone else skiis. The kids never really show up to the tailgate,they just ski from 8:30-3:30 nonstop. Around 11:30 all adults the show back up and we eat, drink, and I'm the first one back out around noon-noon 30 while someone else cleans up... Nothing beats skiing half lit and with a full belly. Yes, I have pulled off in the glades to take a piss.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The only real savings is the flights... If you compare something like Sugar Mountain or Snowshoe to Vail or Deer Valley, yes the west is more expensive. There are a hundred other resorts out here that are 1/4 the price of the big ones.

Unlike the ice coast, we get great snow... And lots of it. The biggest factor in learning to ski and enjoying it is conditions. Man made snow and wet east coast snow can be very sticky/grabby. The warm weather back east melts the snow during the day and freezes it at night turning it into crushed ice.

If you are able to make last minute plans and wait for great conditions for a 3 day weekend, east coast skiing can be good. If you need to plan spring break skiing in August, your asking for trouble on the east coast.

As for costs... We did an all inclusive thing at Silver Mountain in Kellogg, Idaho back at the end of March. Stayed in a 2 bedroom condo. All the ski gear was stored in lockers near the lobby. We would get dressed and ride a Gondola from the front door of the hotel all the way up to the mountain. It's was great. The resort also has an indoor water park.

So 3 days of water park tickets, lift tickets, and a really nice condo was just under $1400 for a family of 4 all in. $450 a day was worth it for the hotel and water park... Skiing was a great bonus. 3 days of ski in/ski out and lift tickets in Big Sky or Breckenridge would be $3000 or more.
I think we pay around $80 day (6 hr) for lift and rental. We stay a comfort inn for around $99 night (2 queen beds). I’m not going to argue the experience of East vs west. They aren’t comparable. But the wast can be significantly cheaper. That cannot be argued. Especially NC. Vermont is a different story.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Big ski resorts are for suckers... Find the little ski towns where there's less lines and a lot more fun... For way less money. Ski in and ski out is way overpriced. If the kids aren't big enough to carry their stuff, don't waste money on letting them ski.
This holds true for most vacations. Big resorts suck.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I think we pay around $80 day (6 hr) for lift and rental. We stay a comfort inn for around $99 night (2 queen beds). I’m not going to argue the experience of East vs west. They aren’t comparable. But the west is significantly cheaper. That cannot be argued. Especially NC. Vermont is a different story.
I know you meant east, but it's not really true is what I am telling you. There's no arguing. You can find $70 for rentals and a full day lift ticket at the cheaper ski areas out west. You can stay at the Super 8 for $100 night here too..
1000014194.png
1000014195.png

My season pass was $299 at a really nice resort locally. No blackouts. A season rental for boots and skis is $159 at my local shop. My family of 4 season pass at the local ski hill in town is $300. $20 for a day pass.

Skiing in the west isn't expensive, just the mega resorts and travel. Same as the east.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I know you meant east, but it's not really true is what I am telling you. There's no arguing. You can find $70 for rentals and a full day lift ticket at the cheaper ski areas out west. You can stay at the Super 8 for $100 night here too..
View attachment 607874
View attachment 607873

My season pass was $299 at a really nice resort locally. No blackouts. A season rental for boots and skis is $159 at my local shop. My family of 4 season pass at the local ski hill in town is $300. $20 for a day pass.

Skiing in the west isn't expensive, just the mega resorts and travel. Same as the east.
You’re putting no value on the flights. That’s like saying Disney is cheap as long as you stay at an inconvenient location, don’t spend a dime on food inside the park, and don’t buy an souvenirs.

Fly a family of 4 from Jackson out west and add the SUV rental. That doubles the price.

It CAN be cheap is true, but it ain’t for 99.99% of State fans.

l see State fans all the time in NC. Matter of fact, I see more on the slopes than I do working around north Metro ATL.

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
Are you giving ski advice? How can you stand the brrrrr.***

Seriously, I think your $10-12k is about right for a family of 4 or 5 to go to a big ski resort in the West from Mississippi/Southern US...

If you want to save some $$, you can come to my little paradise (or the dozen or so other authentic mountain towns in the west) for about half the price and hit our 3 different (all world class in some aspect) ski areas and squeeze in some of the best snowmobiling in the US. Nothing like cruising 20 miles out to the olympic pool sized hot springs on a snowmobile to relax in the 103° water after a few days of skiing.

View attachment 607607
View attachment 607655
View attachment 607647
View attachment 607648
View attachment 607651
View attachment 607694

And for the ski apres... Well, you can do it on the budget with a good old fashioned tailgate like we do most weekends... Coolers full of beer and a tri-tip are mighty fine for a mid-day recharge.
View attachment 607696
View attachment 607695
Or you can go out one night and get all bougie at the number one ski resort restaurant in the US... It's only about $25-40 for a truly high quality entree... I like the scallops and smoked pork belly myself.
View attachment 607707
But no matter what, you'll end the night drinking your ski soreness away at my pub while watching the game..
View attachment 607714

Big ski resorts are for suckers... Find the little ski towns where there's less lines and a lot more fun... For way less money. Ski in and ski out is way overpriced. If the kids aren't big enough to carry their stuff, don't waste money on letting them ski.

If you do need the Instagram cred, we are a couple hours from Sun Valley, the number one ski resort in North America. It's loaded with overpriced shìt and uberwealthy dbags. You can swing by on the way outta town and get a selfie in front the sign and just tell everyone that's where you went.***
You've got my interest. Might be hitting you up for some recs next time I go.....

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You’re putting no value on the flights. That’s like saying Disney is cheap as long as you stay at an inconvenient location, don’t spend a dime on food inside the park, and don’t buy an souvenirs.

Fly a family of 4 from Jackson out west and add the SUV rental. That doubles the price.

It CAN be cheap is true, but it ain’t for 99.99% of State fans.

l see State fans all the time in NC. Matter of fact, I see more on the slopes than I do working around north Metro ATL.
If I'm putting no value in flights (which I have constantly said minus the travel) you aren't putting value on conditions.

I agree on the travel costs being a big burden, but it depends on where you are in the south as well. 25% of the board lives in Texas and Louisiana it seems. Its cheaper to go to Durango, Pagosa, Taos, Angel Fire, and Ruidoso from there. Hell it's only a 2 hour further drive from Jackson MS to Angel Fire than to Snowshoe West Virginia.

Beyond that, I would say this. If you're doing the Spring break trip/planning months in advance with the family to go skiing... No matter if you go East or West from Mississippi, you're spending $5,000-$12,000. You can go west and and guarantee yourself great snow in March. It's a crapshoot at best in the southern Appalachians. Split the difference and hit a smaller resort in the Rockies.

If you can watch the forecast on Monday and drive a few hours from Atlanta to Banner Elk and hit the slopes on a good weekend of conditions that's awesome. But when you're talking a family of 4, lessons, hotels/condos, etc for a spring break or week long Christmas - New Year's trip and 10-14 hours driving from Jackson MS to NC or WV... You better cross your fingers there's a lot of late snow and cold temps... This is what Sugar Mountain North Carolina looked like March 7th of 2023:

1000014196.jpg

You can't take the risk to plan out a family trip to a place like that. Go to the Rockies.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login