Ask the pack

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Pro tip. Nobody that has built a home has ever complained about having too much garage space.
This... We purchased a 2500 square foot single story home with a 2 car garage on 12 acres. We enclosed the garage to make a den / guest room with a king size murphy bed. I then designed a 4 wide 2 deep garage with a bonus room upstairs. The trick was avoiding having the garage look larger than the house even though it actually is.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If you're planning to locate in Mississippi, keep in mind that some counties have zoning and most zoning ordinances have site plan/architectural review regulations. Many counties do not have such regs, but some do.
Fortunatly, in Carroll County you can do whatever you want to do.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I don't think people want thoughtful designs. Or at least they don't understand what they will actually like versus what sells well with tract home builders. We had a builder that was not developing subdivisions but would partner with developers and build out spec homes. They did some 1500 to 2500 sq ft homes that were really well laid out. Garages that actually fit trucks. 2nd and 3rd bedrooms that were decent sized. No wasted space and everything sized for the way people actually live, except they would do dining rooms in some of their larger designs (which in fairness, people still demand despite how little they get used). Also had pretty reasonable quality, which I guess is easier when you're doing 20-25 houses a year instead of 300. I think they were essentially chased out of business by tract home builders that offered a lower price per sq ft by having the too small garage, no porch space if possible although now they are pretty much all doing the back porch and no front porch, cutting corners where ever they can that's not immediately visible, 10x10 bedrooms with tiny closets for everything but the master (which is great for one actual guest bedroom but isn't ideal for a child actually living there), open living/kitchen/eat in spaces that look big unless you realize they have furniture that is smaller than most people utilize.

I will say we didn't design our house very well efficiently. We were smart on some things and I think are in good shape as far as quality that will last, but could have been much more efficient with use of space. There was probably a time where we should have gone back to square one with the design and instead kept bumping stuff around.
All of this. Guilty myself of being stupid on the new build. Fell for the what the Joneses would want deal.

We are on our 4th house in 12 years. We went from 1500SF, to 2400 SF, to 3400 SF ( the stupid new build, but never actually lived in it, built it and intended to, but ended up moving before it was finished), and now back down to 1350 SF. The current house is a 3-2 and while everything is small, we have plenty of space and a dedicated guest room since the kids are bunking together for the next few years.

We will eventually outgrow it when the oldest hits his teens in 3-4 more years, but we have already picked out the next house. Just looking for the right lot to put it on. My dream house is now 1975 square feet. Timber frame construction and focus on flow and beautiful smart indoor spaces that open up to the outdoor spaces. We will be much happier in this little baby than that 3400 SF monstrosity we built a couple of years ago. Build cost will be about the same in today's dollars minus the lot.

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 4.24.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 1.58.22 PM.png

This is how we should be building most houses everywhere. Not necessarily this style everywhere, but the idea that your money is better spent on quality materials and smart design features than big *** houses where ugly rooms sit empty 95% of the time and never get used... Unless of course your @Boom Boom and are singlehandedly trying to fix our demographic issues and need 6-8 bedrooms.***

Reactions: grinningmule
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login