Asking the Pack

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
IMG_3325.jpeg
It’s time for a new refrigerator. We have narrowed our choices to the two in the picture.

Who has either and what are the pros/cons?

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Before too many people say "buy Whirlpool," let me just say that the Whirlpool French Door Dual Icemaker 26.8 cu. ft. one we bought brand new this past March has been THE WORST appliance we've ever owned. Things started out fine for the first two and half months, but then the fridge just stopped working. I've had Whirlpool's local authorized warranty repair company out to my house over a dozen times since June. The first was due to the compressor completely dying (which it took 6-7 visits to fully fix due to long lead times and supply chain crap with Whirlpool getting parts out of Mexico). They have already replaced the compressor, flow switch, ice makers, filter housing, etc., and the upper ice maker--the fridge has one in the door and inside the lower freezer--still won't produce hardly any ice. So, they are coming back out next week to replace another five parts including a different control board.

The lead refrigeration system tech with the warranty company said most of the fridges these days are horrible from a reliability standpoint with the new refrigerant systems and the plastic components used in the freezer and icemaking systems. He gave a little praise to GE, but when I asked him which brands he has the least problems with and phone calls to address, he said Maytag (which, surprisingly, is owned by the same group that owns Whirlpool) by a wide margin. He also confirmed to not buy Samsung or LG; they don't service them, and not many companies will.

I have had Whirlpool fridges since the 90s, and they have been generally amazing (my 15-year-old garage fridge is a Whirlpool and is a tank). But I will not buy one again, based on the problems I've had with this new one and what the techs have told us. Fridge companies are hesitant to declare a problem fridge a "non-repairable," so you have to keep going back and forth with them and the warranty repair company. It's been a near nightmare since June. I don't wish that on anyone on this board.

If I did it all over again, knowing what I know, I'd buy a GE and more strongly consider the Maytag (we just didn't like the Maytag layouts).

Last edited:
Reactions: dorndawg

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
We have a whirlpool like the one in the picture. So far the only problem has been a defective door switch that turns on the interior light. We've had that one for about 9 years. I have one in the garage that is about 30 years old and going strong. It is my beer fridge.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I have the left and it's fine. I don't especially love the trend of the freezer on the bottom; it makes tall stuff kinda 17y to arrange in the fridge and you have to move everything around to get to anything in the freezer. When we landed on side by side doors in the 90s, that was peak fridge layout.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
People, before praising or cursing an entire brand, do research on the model and where it is purchased. I’ve had some good Frigidaire products, too, but I bought from a local appliance store.

Look at the model numbers closely. Models sold at big box stores MAY be specifically built for Lowe’s/HD while dealers get something that looks identical, but may be more expensive because it’s built with better components.

To add to the confusion, look closely at not only the number but the dates of the reviews from box stores. Buying appliances, like a vehicle, is an exercise of research.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Had the Samsung version of those. Ice maker stopped working right a year in.

whirpool warranty works but it can take over a month to get something fixed.

The middle drawer is dumb.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't 17 with the horizontal pullouts. My fridge specs are simple: 2 vertical doors, and ice maker/water. That's it. Never had a single problem with any of them in 20 years of owning houses. Always bought Whirlpool too.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
People, before praising or cursing an entire brand, do research on the model and where it is purchased. I’ve had some good Frigidaire products, too, but I bought from a local appliance store.

Look at the model numbers closely. Models sold at big box stores MAY be specifically built for Lowe’s/HD while dealers get something that looks identical, but may be more expensive because it’s built with better components.

To add to the confusion, look closely at not only the number but the dates of the reviews from box stores. Buying appliances, like a vehicle, is an exercise of research.
Good info. Didn't know they did that with appliances but I always tell people not to buy tires from Walmart. Not the same tire. Totally different DOT number even tho it may say it's the same. The department of transportation knows it is not. Cheaper made especially for Walmart

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
I have the Frigidaire on the right that I bought at my locally owned appliance store. Had it for around 3-4 years and no issues so far. I do kind of like the middle drawer. We use it for bottled water and kid's drinks

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Good info. Didn't know they did that with appliances but I always tell people not to buy tires from Walmart. Not the same tire. Totally different DOT number even tho it may say it's the same. The department of transportation knows it is not. Cheaper made especially for Walmart
This is true. Big box stores have a price point for literally everything. Whether it’s a fridge, tire, lawn mower, or light bulb, the manufacturers get that figure dictated to them and they have to somehow bastardize a special product model just to keep cost down and get it on their inventory. It’s crazy to think about how powerful these mega-retailers are with their purchasing power. Be a skeptical consumer, always. I buy local or from dealers as much as possible.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
We have a Whirlpool after getting rid of a Samsung that required me to work on it every year to keep the ice maker going. We had a Whirlpool for 10 years before buying the Samsung. We gave that Whirlpool to my mother and she's still using it. It is 25 years old and still running.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
View attachment 436832
It’s time for a new refrigerator. We have narrowed our choices to the two in the picture.

Who has either and what are the pros/cons?

I had the worst customer service experience I've ever had last year with a new Whirlpool washer. Two weeks after purchase it stopped working. Something about a sensor. The part it required was on backorder for "at least 60 days." I go online and see people who have been waiting for like six months for whirlpool parts. Whirlpool refused to replace the two week old washing machine because technically the part was "available."

I had to go to Lowe's three times. After about ten days of back and forth with Whirlpool and the store, and washing clothes for our four kids at other peoples houses, the store manager finally agreed to replace the washing machine his own without approval from Whirlpool.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
I had the worst customer service experience I've ever had last year with a new Whirlpool washer. Two weeks after purchase it stopped working. Something about a sensor. The part it required was on backorder for "at least 60 days." I go online and see people who have been waiting for like six months for whirlpool parts. Whirlpool refused to replace the two week old washing machine because technically the part was "available."

This reads almost exactly like my experience with my new fridge I described above. Whirlpool customer service is just really bad these days, folks. You have to put out of your mind the good ole days and nostalgia of Kenmore/Whirlpool appliances. I thought the same thing when I bought my current fridge, and it's not the same company and nowhere near the same quality or customer support. Buyer beware.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015

I had to go to Lowe's three times. After about ten days of back and forth with Whirlpool and the store, and washing clothes for our four kids at other peoples houses, the store manager finally agreed to replace the washing machine his own without approval from Whirlpool.
This is the example you hear often that backs my point.
1. Service from Lowe’s/HD sucks. That’s a confirmed fact.
2. The likely reason not only Whirlpool, but other manufacturers can’t get parts for the models sold there is because those models are often a one-off with cheap plastic components that either the servicing dealer can’t get, or are on back order because China can’t make enough cheap schit to keep up with its own warranty replacements.

Buy appliances from a dealer.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
This means absolutely nothing if it's a warranty repair where OEM parts have to be sourced.
64C2C127-7C7D-4169-A065-31FFB5B21907.jpeg

This means absolutely nothing in a world where the OEM supplies dozens of different parts for dozens of different models.

The sheer volume of models made with cheaper parts sold in the BB stores means a higher demand for those parts that go out often. And also-dealer service set up through Lowe’s and HD is under a contract that reads like an HMO disclaimer. You’ll get crummy service, and parts when they come in, or we can bring you another POS from the same POS retailer you got this from.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We have a Whirlpool after getting rid of a Samsung that required me to work on it every year to keep the ice maker going. We had a Whirlpool for 10 years before buying the Samsung. We gave that Whirlpool to my mother and she's still using it. It is 25 years old and still running.
I hated the Samsung we had. Left it when we moved

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

I just went through the same exact experience with them. I just went on Facebook marketplace found a cheapo since it it took them like two months to find one. Lowes was useless. Whirpool was useless. The company they gave us was terrible too. I would never use them. Several times I took off for them to show only for them to move me without calling

Reactions: dawgman42
Feb 20, 2011
We have a Whirlpool refrigerator with ice maker in the door and in the bottom freezer drawer.

Lately, the ice maker in the bottom will shut itself off automatically, even when there is little to no ice in the bin. Occasionally, I'll reach in to see where the control arm is positioned, and it's up half the time. It makes ice and will even sometimes go on a streak where it makes a lot without shutting off for no reason. Any ideas what is causing this or the remedy?

Reactions: dawgman42

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I just went through the same exact experience with them. I just went on Facebook marketplace found a cheapo since it it took them like two months to find one. Lowes was useless. Whirpool was useless. The company they gave us was terrible too. I would never use them. Several times I took off for them to show only for them to move me without calling
I had a similar issue with a Whirlpool dishwasher purchased from Lowe's last year. I gave them horrible ratings on lowes, Google, FB, Twitter and their own website. After 3 trips by a tech to replace the same part, Whirlpool gave me a credit for the purchase price and I bought another unit that was higher priced. So far np troubles with this one.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We have a new Samsung after having a Whirlpool. The Whirlpool I had to work on constantly. Three motherboards and most of the components to the ice maker went out at some point. I work on all our appliances myself so it’s not a big deal to me if I have to work on them.

My opinion…it’s just luck of the draw unless you spend ungodly amounts of money on a fridge.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I had a similar issue with a Whirlpool dishwasher purchased from Lowe's last year. I gave them horrible ratings on lowes, Google, FB, Twitter and their own website. After 3 trips by a tech to replace the same part, Whirlpool gave me a credit for the purchase price and I bought another unit that was higher priced. So far np troubles with this one.
Whirlpool parts policy is trash as is are their parts. Them telling me I had to give 21 days to find a part was crazy and putting me off on lowes for laundromat costs. Which lowes service plan is trash to. They put everything back on whirlpool.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Whirlpool parts policy is trash as is are their parts. Them telling me I had to give 21 days to find a part was crazy and putting me off on lowes for laundromat costs. Which lowes service plan is trash to. They put everything back on whirlpool.
The part that failed in my first dishwasher was the plastic motor and housing. The tech suggested 3D printing a new one because of a shortage🤣🤣

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login