Athletic Director news - Bo Bounds said on the radio this morning...

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
I’ve voiced it before, but I’m not on the Benko train. He was here during a scandalous time for our athletic department (Cannizaro, Moorhead, Schaefer’s departure). We don’t need someone from the Cohen tree. As posted above, we need some new blood in that department. Selmon has my vote.

squintdawg

Jun 4, 2003
the dude your opinion GIF
Okay Einstein - tell me your logic to compare any of the candidates to LT - who’s career accomplishment was gathering stats for Jack prior to taking the job. It is definitely my opinion - but not an idiotic take like yours. But - hey, it sounds cool to ***** and make some lame *** comment.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Okay Einstein - tell me your logic to compare any of the candidates to LT - who’s career accomplishment was gathering stats for Jack prior to taking the job. It is definitely my opinion - but not an idiotic take like yours. But - hey, it sounds cool to ***** and make some lame *** comment.
If we do a national search for AD only to end up with Wicker it would be right on brand for the lazy kind of hires we used to do around here. I'm sorry I offended you if he's your dad, granddad, or friend of the family. But you were bizarrely triggered by a throwaway comment.

You know, I've changed my mind. I hope that's exactly who we hire so I can watch you eat that **** sandwich for as long as he's here.

• Haha
Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I want to like Bo but he can't help himself....

"I was at the Hump this weekend..... first time since the Final Four." Gezzzzzz

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

squintdawg

Jun 4, 2003
If we do a national search for AD only to end up with Wicker it would be right on brand for the lazy kind of hires we used to do around here. I'm sorry I offended you if he's your dad, granddad, or friend of the family. But you were bizarrely triggered by a throwaway comment.

You know, I've changed my mind. I hope that's exactly who we hire so I can watch you eat that **** sandwich for as long as he's here
Only pointing out the asinine comparison your dumbass made! Again - when you live in your mommy’s (or maybe your grandmother’s) basement and do nothing but watch TikTok videos and game all day, it is to be expected. Maybe Dawgstudent will give you a prize for your record number of dumbass posts this year!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Only pointing out the asinine comparison your dumbass made! Again - when you live in your mommy’s (or maybe your grandmother’s) basement and do nothing but watch TikTok videos and game all day, it is to be expected. Maybe Dawgstudent will give you a prize for your record number of dumbass posts this year!
Are you okay?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

You know, I've changed my mind. I hope that's exactly who we hire so I can watch you eat that **** sandwich for as long as he's here.
So what’s the comparison to Larry Templeton?
Still not real clear.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'm going to be irritated if we've waited 10 weeks, payed a national search firm, and hire the guy that's already worked here and that everyone w/ any sayso in the hiring already knows (Benko). I wasn't opposed to him but if he's the guy, he could have been hired a long time ago and saved whatever they have to pay the firm and had somebody w/ boots on the ground working. Dust off the old "after an exhaustive search we kept coming right back to _______________ (fill in the blank w/ Jared Benko") speech if he turns out to be the one

Reactions: rankindog86

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Went back and listened...

Bo said "today, tomorrow or Wednesday...pretty soon here"

Said OC "Tuesday night at the latest"

About the 36 minute mark -

If you listened to his show twice just for us, you deserve every free flat screen TV you get! Suffering for others is doing the Lord's work. Thanks Saint DS!

graddawg

Jun 4, 2007
I want to like Bo but he can't help himself....

"I was at the Hump this weekend..... first time since the Final Four." Gezzzzzz
If he really said that he must be trying to get a rise out of folks. I've personally seen him at several games since then, including the game against UK in 2017 (I think). Weird thing to lie about.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If he really said that he must be trying to get a rise out of folks. I've personally seen him at several games since then, including the game against UK in 2017 (I think). Weird thing to lie about.
Yeah, either the lifestyle misstated what he was trying to say or the hearer mis-interpreted the statement. Bo goes to a ton of MSU events.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He'll be upset when freshwater isn't around any more. He was so giddy having leach and Freshwater too talk about. Now he has arnett who would beat him up if he said something stupid.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Again, read what you quoted.

I can write it for you, but I can't make you understand it.
I was curious about Wicker reading this debate you two are having.

This is from the SDSU website: Since Wicker took over the reins as SDSU’s athletic director, the Aztecs have captured 20 Mountain West team championships, including four men’s basketball titles, four outdoor track and field crowns, three swimming and diving championships, two baseball tournament titles, and two women’s soccer crowns. In addition, the Aztecs have won conference championships in football, men’s and women’s golf, softball, and women’s tennis during his six years at the helm.

This doesn't read like LT's resume at State.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

This is from the SDSU website: Since Wicker took over the reins as SDSU’s athletic director, the Aztecs have captured 20 Mountain West team championships, including four men’s basketball titles, four outdoor track and field crowns, three swimming and diving championships, two baseball tournament titles, and two women’s soccer crowns. In addition, the Aztecs have won conference championships in football, men’s and women’s golf, softball, and women’s tennis during his six years at the helm.

Maybe they have troughs?***

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Whose*, Einstein.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Whose*, Einstein.
If ya squint, it's mint. Squirter dawg has got his panties all in a wad over some dumb comment drebin, frank drebin made comparing one of the guys to Templeton. Cmon guys....calm down. Go outside and enjoy this beautiful sunshine we are enjoying here in Mississippi today. Have either of you guys ever been in the cockpit of a real airplane ?

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Sigh.

Hiring Wicker would be the lazy type of hire like we used to do in the Templeton era.

You conduct a national hire and end up with a guy who's biggest draw is that he went to school here? No thanks. It's old-school Mississippi State thinking to just go hire a guy like this. If he wasn't a MSU alum, we wouldn't even be talking to him. It's the cheap way out, and we could've hired the guy two months ago instead of dragging things out just to end up with him now.

And don't even get me started with the stuff that's gone on at SDSU under his watch.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Listen we are on a Mississippi kick. We would have an OC already but they can't find one that was born here. But let's all take a minute to enjoy the fact that Bo found enough time in between commercials to be wrong yet again.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Sigh.

Hiring Wicker would be the lazy type of hire like we used to do in the Templeton era.

You conduct a national hire and end up with a guy who's biggest draw is that he went to school here? No thanks. It's old-school Mississippi State thinking to just go hire a guy like this. If he wasn't a MSU alum, we wouldn't even be talking to him. It's the cheap way out, and we could've hired the guy two months ago instead of dragging things out just to end up with him now.

And don't even get me started with the stuff that's gone on at SDSU under his watch.

At least Wicker's post-undergrad experience has all been away from MSU.

That said, I can understand having someone without a MSU background considering the past four MSU ADs are all alums of MSU.

The big question to me: Is it an absolute deal-breaker?

Would you hire an associate AD or even a current AD with no MSU background over an AD who hasn't worked at MSU but earned a degree from here?

(yep. even the Ninja has a MSU degree)

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm going to be irritated if we've waited 10 weeks, payed a national search firm, and hire the guy that's already worked here and that everyone w/ any sayso in the hiring already knows (Benko). I wasn't opposed to him but if he's the guy, he could have been hired a long time ago and saved whatever they have to pay the firm and had somebody w/ boots on the ground working. Dust off the old "after an exhaustive search we kept coming right back to _______________ (fill in the blank w/ Jared Benko") speech if he turns out to be the one
Paying a national search firm and ending up with a guy that you already know about isn't a big problem if the search firm is good. It's expensive, but for a key position like that, it's worth running down all available avenues. If it turns out you paid that money to validate that a guy you thought was good really is good, that's money well spent. When you get to a certain level, the people doing the hiring generally just don't have enough experience with a position to know whether internal candidates (or candidates that used to be with the organization) are really competitive with the best candidates out there.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Sigh.

So anyone who went to MSU or ever worked at MSU is automatically disqualified? If that was always our judgment criteria, we never would have ended up with Greg Byrne.

Some pre-existing connection isn’t a bad thing. Our athletic department is relatively healthy and stable in terms of major coaching hires….no house cleaning of any sort is needed there. We need someone who knows how to market MSU more than anything - someone who intimately knows our strengths and weaknesses. Its hard to find that in someone who has never been here.

And for the record, I’m against Wicker also due to the scandal and prefer Benko to him, but Benko is a similar situation where he has some familiarity.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Sigh.

I think that the final result will tell if we did a national search or if we hired a national search firm because it adds a perception of professionalism/legitimacy to the hire we already wanted. I have no idea which one of these is in play here.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’m the new AD, it just hasn’t been announced yet. I’m working hard to hire the OC from East Ms Community College and I’m going to save so much money your not going even going to notice that you’re drinking out of generic Solo cups in the stadium next year. I’ll have you guys pissing in feed troughs by the end of the season. Y’all are going to love me as AD.

Aug 3, 2011
Paying a national search firm and ending up with a guy that you already know about isn't a big problem if the search firm is good. It's expensive, but for a key position like that, it's worth running down all available avenues. If it turns out you paid that money to validate that a guy you thought was good really is good, that's money well spent. When you get to a certain level, the people doing the hiring generally just don't have enough experience with a position to know whether internal candidates (or candidates that used to be with the organization) are really competitive with the best candidates out there.
Yeah I think some people in this thread don’t participate in critical thinking. There are several possibilities that could lead to Benko being the guy and the firm not being a waste.

Who is to say that the firm didn’t get bigger names in the door that maybe said “no thanks.” Would we have even attempted to pursue some candidates? You don’t get better by only offering jobs to people you know will say yes.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
So anyone who went to MSU or ever worked at MSU is automatically disqualified? If that was always our judgment criteria, we never would have ended up with Greg Byrne.

Some pre-existing connection isn’t a bad thing. Our athletic department is relatively healthy and stable in terms of major coaching hires….no house cleaning of any sort is needed there. We need someone who knows how to market MSU more than anything - someone who intimately knows our strengths and weaknesses. Its hard to find that in someone who has never been here.

And for the record, I’m against Wicker also due to the scandal and prefer Benko to him, but Benko is a similar situation where he has some familiarity.
Of course having an MSU connection isn't a disqualifier. But if this was Jim Bob Cooter with a degree from Missouri, we wouldn't be talking about him. His resume is unremarkable and he has some baggage. That's my point that keeps getting missed here.

it's a lazy, lazy hire.

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login