Auburn Twin Bill Game 1

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I'm guessing we won't win the SEC tourney. So what's the consensus on getting a regional bid? 33 wins?

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I like that we won, but we all knew it was stupid to bring Davis back out for the 9th on Friday when we had a huge lead. That was the time to let Nolan or Holcombe start working on the closer mentality. But no, we had to waste him, which made today's victory more difficult.
Even when we win, we're frequently shooting ourselves in the foot.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I'm guessing we won't win the SEC tourney. So what's the consensus on getting a regional bid? 33 wins?
Usually to be safe you gotta go 14-16 in SEC play but with our rancid OOC schedule (and record) we might need 15-15.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I like that we won, but we all knew it was stupid to bring Davis back out for the 9th on Friday when we had a huge lead. That was the time to let Nolan or Holcombe start working on the closer mentality. But no, we had to waste him, which made today's victory more difficult.
At least he is available for game 2 today.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Usually to be safe you gotta go 14-16 in SEC play but with our rancid OOC schedule (and record) we might need 15-15.
I think it’s worse than that. I think 14-16 has us definitely out. 15-15 puts us on the razor’s edge that could go either way. 16-14 and we should be safe.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I thought our relievers gave up a hit and got a crucial final out with no runs scored. Two of the three runners were Lo's.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I thought our relievers gave up a hit and got a crucial final out with no runs scored. Two of the three runners were Lo's.
And if he’d been available, we either go right to Davis in the 7th of game one today, or he’s there instead of Cam. Either way, probably less drama.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Downs has struck out 25 times in 67 at bats. His only two extra base hits are doubles, one of which was a fly ball an outfielder just totally misplayed. He was given every chance to be the DH and unfortunately he just didn’t produce. So Pulliam is getting his chance in the lineup now.
Downs is hitting .284. If the argument is “too many singles” the entire lineup could be benched.

We can get Pulliam some ABs too. I don’t see them as mutually exclusive.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Downs is hitting .284. If the argument is “too many singles” the entire lineup could be benched.

We can get Pulliam some ABs too. I don’t see them as mutually exclusive.
The argument is that .284 doesn’t overcome all the negatives. There is no potential for extra base hits. He strikes out almost 40% of the time, which gives you nothing productive like moving base runners in those at bats. And as you saw in Game 2 today, it cost us big time getting picked off of 2nd base. And if I’m not mistaken, he’s in Year 4. So this is probably just who he is and the chance he’s going to develop much beyond this is low. It was clearly time to move on and try something different.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login