Auburn's head coach Butch Thompson

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I know he was an assistant at State and even won the Assistant Coach of the year. I didn't realize he was born in Aberdeen, MS. Go Auburn!

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
I don’t care if he was born in Starkville, if he’s coaching a SEC West rival I’m not pulling for him to put those teams in Omaha.
Just makes it that much more difficult for us to win the SEC and ultimately the Natty

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
He's actually from Amory. Monroe county is screwed up. A large portion of the county has an Aberdeen address but is in the Amory school district. I call Amory home and went to school there but I have an Aberdeen address. Butch was several years younger than me but I remember him and graduated with one of his cousins.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Looks like we might have made a big mistake in not bringing him back to Starkvegas when Henderson was passed over.

ffs… yeah, you’re right. Thompson is a guy that would never have a season under .500 like we did this year.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Looks like we might have made a big mistake in not bringing him back to Starkvegas when Henderson was passed over.

I doubt very seriously we'd have a National Championship trophy had we went that route. I could be wrong, but as of now I'm content with the decision Cohen made.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
OM should win a game now. AU won with only 3 hits. OSU should've walked Sonny and they'd be in Omaha.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Went to school at Amory. He's a really good guy and former MSU coach.

I'm definitely hoping they win the first game.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I've always liked butch. He's one of the biggest reasons for our cws finale in 13. Certainly wasn't our hitting.

I was surprised he didn't get an offer when cohen stepped to AD.

He's built something good at auburn because now they are making Omaha a fairly regular thing

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I've always liked butch. He's one of the biggest reasons for our cws finale in 13. Certainly wasn't our hitting.

I was surprised he didn't get an offer when cohen stepped to AD.

He's built something good at auburn because now they are making Omaha a fairly regular thing

Timing was the issue with Butch. He hadn’t been at Auburn long at all when all of our coaching drama happened and wanted to build something there first.

That said, if we had been able to hang onto him as our pitching coach one more year and he’s still on our staff when Cohen stepped down, I bet he would’ve gotten the job when Cannizaro got it. But that all happened a year too late for us to hire Butch.

MSU_Braves_USA

Aug 20, 2021
Timing was the issue with Butch. He hadn’t been at Auburn long at all when all of our coaching drama happened and wanted to build something there first.

That said, if we had been able to hang onto him as our pitching coach one more year and he’s still on our staff when Cohen stepped down, I bet he would’ve gotten the job when Cannizaro got it. But that all happened a year too late for us to hire Butch.

Interacted with him at the father-son MSU baseball camp. He is a very nice, down-to-earth guy who had a great message for the kids. He was my pick for our job but obviously that was yet another thing I wasn't consulted about.

Not a fan of Auburn but happy that good things happen to him.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’m friends with one of the minor Cigar Boys at Auburn. A lot of people at Auburn were ready to move on from Butch last year but he got another chance. Funny how a year and a trip to Nebraska changes everyone’s opinion of a coach. Last year a lot of you would have cut off their left nut if Lemonis would have asked you too, this year there are people on here call for his job. What have you done for me lately?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's sports in general. Especially in big money conferences like the sec. Lemonis safe for now but in program like state you can't have many years like this year. He will always be that finally brought the ship home. Not even Polk can say that. So I'm not ready to fire him. This year just got a lot of head scratching. It's also not wrong to like another coach and what he has done for another program when he used to be with us. My comparison was more between him and Cann when cohen moved to AD. Not comparing to lemonis. Lemonis walked in to a great situation and didn't have to build anything, it will be interesting to see if he can build it back after going from top to bottom.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
That's sports in general. Especially in big money conferences like the sec. Lemonis safe for now but in program like state you can't have many years like this year. He will always be that finally brought the ship home. Not even Polk can say that. So I'm not ready to fire him. This year just got a lot of head scratching. It's also not wrong to like another coach and what he has done for another program when he used to be with us. My comparison was more between him and Cann when cohen moved to AD. Not comparing to lemonis. Lemonis walked in to a great situation and didn't have to build anything, it will be interesting to see if he can build it back after going from top to bottom.

There’s no way in hell Butch was going to leave Auburn, after one season, to take the MSU job in the middle of November when fall camp was already wrapped up. Butch was also 23-33 / 8-22 in his first season at Auburn, so you would have probably had a ton of our fans jumping off buildings if we pulled that trigger in November 2016.

The options when Cohen was moved to AD was hire a high risk hot shot assistant, or hire Gary Henderson as interim until June of 2017 before making the full time hire. That was it. Cohen chose Option 1. No proven head coach is jumping ship to another program 2.5 months before the season starts….no matter how prestigious the opportunity is.

1984dog

Apr 4, 2014
ffs… yeah, you’re right. Thompson is a guy that would never have a season under .500 like we did this year.

Don't look, but Auburn had a 25-27 record in 2021. They were in Omaha in 2019. They had a lot of pitching injuries in 2021 and lost 10 games by one run. This year they have won 10 games by one run.

Butch is a good coach and an even better person.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login