Austin, TX ramblings

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
We went to Franklins. Got there at 10:20ish. Served food about 1230. The food was great. The experience was good. I would have to try other Brisket places there to decided if Franklin's brisket would be worth the wait, again. However, I met a few people and had nice conversations waiting in line.

Austin is a bigger city than what I was expecting. Once again, a thriving city ....... reminding me what Memphis is not. Austin seems comparable to Nashville.....maybe larger than Nashville????

After Franklins, We went to S Congress to shop. Your daughters and wives would like it. I had to have a drink looking at prices. Also, seemed like that is the area of town where the sorority types live upon graduation....no idea. But there was lots of young people, shopping, eating.....wearing their Lulu..

We made it to the west end of 6th Street later that night. Some pretty cool bars that were crowded by 10pm. Again, ran into numerous young State fans. If we were worth a damn at football, we would have had a much larger following that weekend. Anyways, I was told we did good visiting the west end of 6th Street because as you go more east, near the interstate, it gets rowdier late a night.

Their campus.....is in the middle of the city. I guess I am used to State kinda being its own place.......but being in the middle of the city means having a Target, literally next to campus as well as numerous other retailers and bars/restaurants. Their campus is ok. It is big, area wise, with many mature trees. The buildings were yellow brick shingled in Spanish tiles. Their campus seemed like a more urban, slightly larger, hilly LSU campus. For a school that rich......their signature large building on campus looks neglected. It needs a refurb. The football stadium and basketball arena is where the money is....very nice buildings.

GameDay.....maybe I didn't see the right areas.......however tailgating was mostly corporate and Longhorn club. HOWEVER, they do have a Bevo Blvd that was like a carnival atmosphere with midway type games, photo ops and vendors giving away swag.....they had ESPN up on some projection type screens. Also, on the other side of the stadium, they had a stage with a band. However a larger stage for the band than at State and this three story, covered rig/structure to watch the band, grab a drink and snacks and watch ball games. THey had Ok St and KState playing on the TVs. We had to get that fixed quick. A Texas fan did ask who we were rooting for in the OM/KY game......seriously????? He didn't realize the Egg Bowl rivalry. Overall, the Texas fans were extremely hospitable to us. Back to the live music set up......it was cool. State really needs to move their live music for GameDay to the Ampitheater and move the black tents to the Junction.

Only other thing.....the in stadium experience was much like anywhere else. Hype videos, Bevo intro.....very little band, mostly rap music, salute to service...."welcome back to campus...." WHich they played the music almost every down until our center bent over to place his hand on the ball...........I don't want to hear anything about our cowbells.. OH........That damn canon. That is annoying and I imagine a shock for any visitor the first time it explodes. On the TD at the end of the first half.....our DB should file suit for damaged hearing as they set that thing off with he and the Tx WR very close to it.

Anyways....cool city, nice people, decent stadium experience. Would do again, if we field a competitive team.

Last edited:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Given that I haven’t been to a game in a few years, and I don’t recall during that post-Covid game, but do we still do the canon after a TD? I do realize that if we do, we haven’t really had much chance to use it the past few seasons…

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Austin is a great town. A little too lefty these days. I lived there for 18 years until I got too old and it got too expensive. I still go up there every now and then for dinner or South Congress people watching or to see Bob Schneider at The Saxon Pub.

I've never been to Franklin's. Too much good bbq in these parts to ever wait in line for it.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
A Texas fan did ask who we were rooting for in the OM/KY game......seriously????? He didn't realize the Egg Bowl rivalry.

I always had to explain to the Tsips that our rivalry was similar to them an zeroU, except I definitely would swerve to run an OM idiot off the road. We have actually fought on the field we'll before the game, and no, there are no circumstances where I will be rooting for OM.

As for Franklin's, it fits Austin. If you can get "seen" standing in line for 2+ hours to get into a restaurant, you are part of the scene.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Given that I haven’t been to a game in a few years, and I don’t recall during that post-Covid game, but do we still do the canon after a TD? I do realize that if we do, we haven’t really had much chance to use it the past few seasons…
They moved that cannon from the corner of the end zone up on the deck beside the Scoreboard Club. They still fire it, or at least they did, but it’s up high above everyone.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I've been to Austin recently. It's a great city with tons of stuff for young folks to do. 6th Street is miniature Bourbon Street without folks puking in the street and boobies being flashed. The BBQ tastes like our BBQ. Catch a show at Rogan's comedy club if you get a chance. LE is everywhere. I was expecting a big homeless population downtown (like ATL), but saw very few.

It's no wonder young folks leave the 'Sip for greener pastures.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Have a daughter at UT. They don’t seem to grasp the concept of a tail gate. Also agree they are still in the big 12. That cheer were they yell OU sux needs a rest you have other good teams now. Game day needs help. I hate the crowded street with a carnival. I’ll add the campus is big but crowded with buildings no real space to tailgate

finally they should play at night it’s still as hot as hell there I left yesterday and it was 95.

Reactions: Maroon13

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
They moved that cannon from the corner of the end zone up on the deck beside the Scoreboard Club. They still fire it, or at least they did, but it’s up high above everyone.
....and I guess because of the open areas of our stadium, I haven't noticed our canon recently. Regardless, I don't call ours being near that loud.

Texas is using 2lbs of tannerite.*

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Have a daughter at UT. They don’t seem to grasp the concept of a tail gate. Also agree they are still in the big 12. That cheer were they yell OU sux needs a rest you have other good teams now. Game day needs help. I hate the crowded street with a carnival. I’ll add the campus is big but crowded with buildings no real space to tailgate

finally they should play at night it’s still as hot as hell there I left yesterday and it was 95.
Last time I was in Athens I noticed there wasn't much tailgating. I think, when you have a decent urban area right by campus, with all the amenities, maybe tailgating just isn't needed? I mean, we all think it's fun, but is it an activity born out of necessity?

I do think Mississippi kind of takes it to another level.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I mean, we all think it's fun, but is it an activity born out of necessity?

Yep. Told my buddy if State set up a big white tent with tables, bar service, snacks and a tv... that is free to attend... only cost is your drinks... I would be there every game and not bother with freelancing it.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Yep. Told my buddy if State set up a big white tent with bar service, TVs , snacks and a tv... that is free to attend... only cost is your drinks... I would be there every game and not bother with freelancing it.
We badly need this. Tailgating is great, but is a PITA to set up when coming form out of town. There's folks who drive 2-3 hours who may not have time to set up/breakdown a tailgate, but would have a great time at such a venue.

Dawg1969

Aug 22, 2012
Good description of your experience. I too thought the cannon was over kill. The receiver and defender did get quite a blast in the end zone. I went out to the Oasis on Lake Travis. The sunset was good. Overall my experience was good, but the construction was everywhere. Campus is 40 acres right in the middle of town. Can't see how they can grow much.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yep. Told my buddy if State set up a big white tent with tables, bar service, snacks and a tv... that is free to attend... only cost is your drinks... I would be there every game and not bother with freelancing it.
Don't know what they do now but the year we played at Oregon that's the way they did it. We went inside and they had food vendors, drinks and tv's set up everywhere. We saw absolutely no tailgating there

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Good description of your experience. I too thought the cannon was over kill. The receiver and defender did get quite a blast in the end zone. I went out to the Oasis on Lake Travis. The sunset was good. Overall my experience was good, but the construction was everywhere. Campus is 40 acres right in the middle of town. Can't see how they can grow much.
That was a good recap of your Austin experience. I wish you guys could've been here 20 years ago. It was a much nicer place when we first arrived. Of course, you could go down E. 6th St. in the daylight without a problem.

Austin mostly has good problems related to its growing so fast. I honestly don't think if they had started building roads correctly when we first got here, we'd have less traffic in this town.

It has become a very big town. We used to live close to the Oasis, which was the nice thing about Austin. It was like living in a small town next to a large city... not so much anymore.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Last time I was in Athens I noticed there wasn't much tailgating. I think, when you have a decent urban area right by campus, with all the amenities, maybe tailgating just isn't needed? I mean, we all think it's fun, but is it an activity born out of necessity?

Athens has tailgating, but it is not centralized other than a couple of spots, and most of it is not as close to the stadium as the Junction.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login