Austin Williams

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I have been watching several of our games from last season and that guy made some amazing catches. It is hard to believe how he mishandled the punt in the LSU game. That one drop changed everything in that game. I watched the LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas and A&M games again. He also dropped a critical pass in the Egg Bowl, but it did not hurt as bad because we won. State is going to miss him. I have all the games recorded. I will delete when the season starts.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I have been watching several of our games from last season and that guy made some amazing catches. It is hard to believe how he mishandled the punt in the LSU game. That one drop changed everything in that game. I watched the LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas and A&M games again. He also dropped a critical pass in the Egg Bowl, but it did not hurt as bad because we won. State is going toI miss him. I have all the games recorded. I will delete when the season starts.
I saw just about every SEC punt/KO returner fumble at least one, and maybe more during the season. Just take your eye off the ball a split second and you're screwed. Austin has great hands, and obviously is pretty dang smart. I think if he wanted to, the USFL would have a spot for him somewhere as a possession receiver. From what I've seen, that league needs some help catching the ball. He has very good 100yd speed, but not so much in the 40, plus his lateral quickness needs some help.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I thought this was a post that he had gotten a waiver for another year of eligibility.

But yes, he had some of the surest hands on the team. That's one of the reasons why, along with being at the absolute worst times, his blunders were so glaring.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Can you play college football and draw social security at the same time? If not, Austin might finally be done.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I saw just about every SEC punt/KO returner fumble at least one, and maybe more during the season. Just take your eye off the ball a split second and you're screwed. Austin has great hands, and obviously is pretty dang smart. I think if he wanted to, the USFL would have a spot for him somewhere as a possession receiver. From what I've seen, that league needs some help catching the ball. He has very good 100yd speed, but not so much in the 40, plus his lateral quickness needs some help.
Catching a punt is a lot more mental than anything. Easy to simply catch a punted ball. But you've got to be aware of position on the field - catch it or let it go? Call for fair catch or return it? You're completely alone back there so all eyes are on you. All while a handful of guys are coming at you full speed ready to light you up. Like you said - focus slips for a split second and you screw something up.

That's why good kick returners like Tulu don't always make good punt returners. Lot less to think about when catching a KO

Reactions: MSUDOG24

patdog

May 28, 2007
Catching a punt is a lot more mental than anything. Easy to simply catch a punted ball. But you've got to be aware of position on the field - catch it or let it go? Call for fair catch or return it? You're completely alone back there so all eyes are on you. All while a handful of guys are coming at you full speed ready to light you up. Like you said - focus slips for a split second and you screw something up.

That's why good kick returners like Tulu don't always make good punt returners. Lot less to think about when catching a KO
I think on 4th and more than 5, the best strategy would be to rush 10 and tell the returner to fair catch everything he can get to. Takes a lot of the decision making away, eliminates the risk of a block in the back, and gives you a better chance at the big play with the block.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login