B1G Commish tells HBO they want to go to 20 teams

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
... and pay the players directly, and is open to collective bargaining, unionization, etc.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
He said he could foresee going to 20 teams in the future and that he foresee paying players but he was not definitive.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Neither that dude nor Sankey have any eye on the long term. They are just living off what was done in the past. I'm not hating on them for doing what they have to do to get their cushy jobs, they did what it took but they can't see anything but short term money right now. It's only headed toward wherever it's headed because they are enabling it. Funny to see them act like they aren't the engines behind this thing.

Imagine if they'd all get into a room and actually figure out a way to govern the sport, rather than compete and see how the conferences can 17 it up more.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Neither that dude nor Sankey have any eye on the long term. They are just living off what was done in the past. I'm not hating on them for doing what they have to do to get their cushy jobs, they did what it took but they can't see anything but short term money right now. It's only headed toward wherever it's headed because they are enabling it. Funny to see them act like they aren't the engines behind this thing.

Imagine if they'd all get into a room and actually figure out a way to govern the sport, rather than compete and see how the conferences can 17 it up more.

Their two leagues just negotiated seven and ten year deals worth billions of dollars. Many would disagree that they didn’t take a strategic approach toward expansion and related TV deals.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Their two leagues just negotiated seven and ten year deals worth billions of dollars. Many would disagree that they didn’t take a strategic approach toward expansion and related TV deals.
They made money for sure. But they're killing college football (and ultimately other sports because the conferences aren't just football). You know this, Boomer. I'm not sitting here saying they aren't smart, they obviously are. They simply care about the wrong things.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
They made money for sure. But they're killing college football (and ultimately other sports because the conferences aren't just football). You know this, Boomer. I'm not sitting here saying they aren't smart, they obviously are. They simply care about the wrong things.

They care about the things that the institutions they represent want them to care about.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
17 it.
It won’t be too much longer before the whole sport is ruined probably forever and there’s no going back now.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
You are correct.

and the Title 9 crowd is about to get real happy, in the B10.

This thing is about to be like a bloated whale.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The Big 10 commissioner is one the primary reasons some of the powers want to leave the Big 10. You don’t see any schools wanting out of the SEC do you?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
No one. They just crushed it on their media deal. No one wants to leave.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
by Nebraska.

Been a while.

If Nebraska is willing to leave the Big Ten and the richest media rights deal in college sports history to go back to the uncertainty and possible (probable) relegation of the Big 12, they deserve whatever fate awaits them.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Only regret Nebraska has is that they're a has-been football program. Which would be the case no matter what conference they were in. Nobody wants to leave the Big 10.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
I read some tweets yesterday that stated the conference can pay NIL to players and bypass the rule that prevents schools from paying them. This also gets around Title IX as the schools are still providing equal opportunities. A private entity is paying NIL. The Big Ten and the SEC can pull $5 million from each team’s football/basketball media payout and give $50,000 in NIL to 85 football and 15 basketball players.

If this happens, I think it helps State out tremendously given our lack of NIL fundraising success. That theoretical $5 million would be used on a lot of non-football and non-basketball things, and this takes it out of the AD’s hands.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Those guys don't get where they are by not having long-term strategic roadmaps for where they want to be.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

NIL is killing college football. These guys are doing the best they can while trying to hit a moving target and still achieve the objectives their member institutions require them to meet.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login