Baker Mayfield traded to the Panthers

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I find myself pulling for mayfield to be good. I thought he did pretty good in Cleveland and last year for some reason everyone just decided he sucked. I’m not sure I really understand it.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Weird seeing the #1 (Mayfield) and #3 (Darnold) overall picks in the 2018 draft on the same roster at the same position.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I find myself pulling for mayfield to be good. I thought he did pretty good in Cleveland and last year for some reason everyone just decided he sucked. I’m not sure I really understand it.

He was 27th in the NFL in QBR last season…..ahead of only 3 rookies (Lawrence / Fields / Wilson) and Sam Darnold amongst those who qualified for the ranking. That ain’t great.

His 4 year QBR finishes are as follows: 23, 19, 10, 27

He’s basically a bottom 10 NFL starting QB who has had just one season that was above average. He’s still probably an upgrade over Darnold, and the Panthers made a good move to wait out the inevitable with Cleveland where they had to let him go for pennies on the dollar.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019

I can only pull for him if I pick DJ Moore for my fantasy team. Beyond that he can kick rocks and pound sand.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
He was 27th in the NFL in QBR last season…..ahead of only 3 rookies (Lawrence / Fields / Wilson) and Sam Darnold amongst those who qualified for the ranking. That ain’t great.

He’s basically a bottom 10 NFL starting QB who has had just one season that was above average. He’s still probably an upgrade over Darnold, and the Panthers made a good move to wait out the inevitable with Cleveland where they had to let him go for pennies on the dollar.

That may be the case. Or it may be a guy who was steadily improving until a bad year. I wouldn’t bet against him

Sep 12, 2013

Yea he’s been overall terrible. I thought he would be a legit starting qb. I was wrong

Ace-Leroy

Aug 23, 2012

I think it gets overlooked how much of his time He has played hurt. If He is healthy after having that shoulder surgically repaired , I still think He can be in the upper half of the league.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I do as well because he is local and everyone overlooked him. I don't know if he is really a NFL QB but he plays as hard as he can. This move will show if he is good enough for prime time or not

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Yea he’s been overall terrible. I thought he would be a legit starting qb..

Mayfield's career stats are about the same or a little better than Eli Manning's

Eli 60.3% comp 7.0 ypa .500% winning
Mayfield 61.6% comp 7.3 ypa .500% winning with a better TD/Int ratio at 17ing Cleveland

patdog

May 28, 2007
Or he’s basically a pretty good QB who was improving every year until he played through multiple injuries last season. Could still go either way for him. Definitely worth taking a chance on.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Or he’s basically a pretty good QB who was improving every year until he played through multiple injuries last season. Could still go either way for him. Definitely worth taking a chance on.

This is basically my thoughts on him. I’m certainly not putting him as a top 10 QB but I think he can be in the upper tier of NFL starting QBs

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Even in his best year in 2020, he still only threw for about 220 yards per game. That’s about the as what a rookie Mac Jones did for the Pats last year, with no elite talent at WR to work with. He kept defenses a little bit honest while they pounded people to death with Chubb and Hunt. Pro version of Jay Barker, more or less. He’s simply not a QB that can take over a game and carry a team.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Rank the South division QBs 2-5 Winston, Mariotta, Mayfield, Darnold

1 Brady

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
I liken Mayfield to Johnny Manziel. Great college QB with character issues, but who cannot really have that much impact at the NFL level. Linebackers in the NFL are as fast or faster and just remove the run option when plays break down. They go from transcendent to average or worse pretty quickly.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Emma’s Dad;2050754 said:
I liken Mayfield to Johnny Manziel. Great college QB with character issues, but who cannot really have that much impact at the NFL level. Linebackers in the NFL are as fast or faster and just remove the run option when plays break down. They go from transcendent to average or worse pretty quickly.

Well, Mayfield isn’t runner that Manziel was. But he also isn’t the ******* that Manziel was either. Wouldn’t say that he has “character issues” just because he’s a bit cocky.

Still mostly a valid point though. I certainly believe that he has the drive and determination to succeed in the NFL. The problem is his physical limitations. In terms of physical stature / tools and arm talent, Mayfield is probably the most deficient of any QB in NFL history who has ever been drafted #1 overall. He got drafted that high heavily based on moxie / intangibles, and that really hasn’t translated very well.

Last edited:

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah. But with Mayfield living there now, Panther Stadium will be spotless as he cleans the stadium, mows the field, fills the concession stands.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login