Banner M

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Hot take: Will rogers played better wearing the m banner than the script state

that should crank this up to 11
scared shocked GIF by South Park

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Your side has definitely won. That's why we continue to be mired in mediocrity. We learned nothing from our success over the 2010s. Have at it, cool guys.
Haven’t you stated numerous times that our success in sports is kind of outstanding considering the demographics of both our fanbase and Starkville in relation to the rest of the SEC?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Haven’t you stated numerous times that our success in sports is kind of outstanding considering the demographics of both our fanbase and Starkville in relation to the rest of the SEC?
Did you not see me to just make mention to our success in the 2010s? Basically talking about the Byrne/Mullen/Cohen era all the way through Cohen's departure and Leach's death. That is why I am wondering why everyone wanted to pivot from what worked.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
The banner M will forever be associated with Croom for most of us. It was his first year that we started using it for football. Maine, 3-2, 45-0 Ole Miss... All under Croom and his banner M.
For those of us a little.... *ahem*...."longer in the tooth," it is associated with 90's basketball and a Final Four.

Reactions: bulldoghair

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Thanks for pointing that out, now I will never unsee it. Of course I had to find out why it is off center. Here is the explanation.

Why is the A in the Mississippi State logo off center?

Mississippi State's Main Logo Is Off-Center And It Is ...'s Main Logo Is Off-Center And It Is ...

The graphic designer, ultimately, chose to anchor the center to the five letters of 'STATE' rather than to the center letter 'A. '
That graphic designer (hired during the Fogelsong "watch") also did not have the most stellar portfolio of university clients when hired. In fact, their work was primarily for what we now know as G5 and Div 1-AA institutions. Hardly a resume that would be for an SEC school.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
This is correct. The new banner is blockier and looks much better. The Croom stuff has long been gone.

Baseball is the only sport that deserves its own logos. Both the M over S and the &tate belong there. And you can put it on merch, that's fine too.

But moving from M-State to &tate as the official athletics logo is a mistake, for a number of reasons. I don't even dislike the idea of another main athletic logo, many SEC schools have this, but &tate just isn't it. It doesn't look good in football, basketball, on the football field, on the basketball court, and it won't look good lit up hanging outside the stadium either.

I am not sure who started this &tate script push, so I won't blame anyone. But we could have sold a ton of merch with that logo, without making it a main logo. Same as if we sell merch with M over S. So I just don't get this - at all. Some folks want to emphasize 'State', well shlt son, we already have. The banner says M-"STATE", dubmasses. And we've started the greeting tradition of 'Hail State', which many of our fans won't embrace. And now with &tate, we are as irrelevant as ever, after a long period of success with a recognizable emblem, that is also our official university emblem.

For a guy who has loved MSU his whole life, it's extremely frustrating to sit here and watch us do these things over and over and over. We've been changing logos our entire history, with little success, until M-State. Now we change that. I'll never fully understand the mindset many of our fans have. We really don't know what's best for us, and most people just don't question anything, fully content to stay exactly where they are.
For the most part, I agree with you. MSU's problem in this area (as well as others) has been essentially distilled to 2 categories:

1) Not changing with the current times (and falling behind the times); and

2) Changing when change is unnecessary.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
"Goat?" Really? C'mon, man. That's like the equivalent of the winner of the "Tallest Building Contest" in Noxapater
I totally misread @mcdawg22’s comment. I thought he was anti-banner. No wonder he thought I was stupid, guess I am……a mid level metal shack in Sebastopol

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So State is wearing black vs Vandy with a block "STATE" across the chest. Has anyone measure this block "STATE" to ensure the A is centered on the chest?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
So State is wearing black vs Vandy with a block "STATE" across the chest. Has anyone measure this block "STATE" to ensure the A is centered on the chest?
Where is Engie when you need him?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
In the woodmark "Mississippi STATE" logo at mid court. The A in "STATE" isn't centered. It has to go*

8DAF2331-B1CF-4E48-8BED-EBF4D437FFFF.jpeg

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I see multiple mentions of merch in this post. The biggest issue in all logo discussions is the absolute horrible coordination between what our teams wear and the availability of the merch. I can think of multiple shirts, hoodies and hats that where worn by players and coaches and were absolutely not available to buy for months or years later. The block STATE the pirate wore. The, what is now called the 85 baseball jersey, Mississippi State black hoodie the team wore a few years back. That one took a year for me to find.

The NFL coordinates when their teams wear a certain design or style sideline gear, it is available for purchase right then. They move on to something else each month or so and then that is what you see in the NFL shop. I mean it should be like insider trading. They know what they are going to splash out over the airwaves and they should be ready to ride the wave.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
The block STATE looks better in football and men’s basketball, way more than the script &tate. Probably because it’s more masculine and has a stronger look to it, and both of those sports are physical combative sports. The script &tate looks more feminine and weaker. Baseball it’s fine and women’s sports, if we had to have it at all. The script &tate is the worst on the football helmet, especially with that reverse treble clef S. Feminine and weakness is not what we need on our football helmets. Not to mention we are literally copying ole miss. Even for the few loud message board folks who like that on the helmet, do y’all not even care that we are literally copying ole miss?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The block STATE looks better in football and men’s basketball, way more than the script &tate. Probably because it’s more masculine and has a stronger look to it, and both of those sports are physical combative sports. The script &tate looks more feminine and weaker. Baseball it’s fine and women’s sports, if we had to have it at all. The script &tate is the worst on the football helmet, especially with that reverse treble clef S.
Agree with all you wrote. I'm making fun of the people that make the dumb argument that the "a is off center".

The word is what is centered. But they know that. They want their clef tate.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The script State logo 1. Feels like an ole miss logo and 2. Is generic as hell. I’m not interested in wearing anything with that on it.
You should wear the M. That way everyone knows the only taste you have is the pecker of Larry Templeton in your mouth. The M lovers also love these:
IMG_6312.jpeg

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login