Baseball in 30 days. How do you feel about it? What has to happen?

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I'd like to say 'cautiously optimistic' but I really don't know to feel this year. I suppose it is a combination of so many new faces combined with what transpired last year.

I think it is safe to say that we will be better but how much better do we have to be to demonstrate we have our mojo back?

I think we all could agree a repeat performance of last season should culminate a coaching search. To me the same thing should be considered if we don't make a regional. I don't expect either one to happen. I will not be satisfied we are back on track until we are in a hosting discussion.

The one thing that gives me optimism is what happened in 2015 and what we followed up with in 2016.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
After the natty, and then the downer of last year, I don't care about all these expectations. I'm still going to follow it. Of course, I would prefer we be good.

That said, I'm intrigued by our lineup. I expect Hancock, Clark, Hines and Forsythe to be similar players to last year, maybe slight improvement. Hines may hit a slump, who knows. The newcomers will be what they are, and I'm talking freshmen here - Jordan, Mershon, Highfill. The X-factor is if Alford and Downs making a jump, and/or Hujsak and Ledbetter do what we think they can. If they do, this lineup could be deadly, 2016 level.

Pitching, I think we have too many arms to not be at minimum solid.

I see a fringe hosting team. Low seed host or 2 seed somewhere.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I don’t think Lemonis’s job is in danger at all this year, even if we don’t make a Regional. Just feel like a new AD is going to give a championship winning coach every opportunity to show he can still get it done.

Having said that, I fully expect us to be a Regional team. My gut says solid 2 seed in someone else’s Regional. But I feel very good about the additions to our roster and think the returning guys will be eager to make amends for last year.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I think the coaching staff has a lot of work to do to prove last year was bad luck/a fluke. Got to at least make a regional and look pretty damn competitive all season in doing so.

Reactions: knock him out john
Nov 25, 2019
After the natty, and then the downer of last year, I don't care about all these expectations. I'm still going to follow it. Of course, I would prefer we be good.

That said, I'm intrigued by our lineup. I expect Hancock, Clark, Hines and Forsythe to be similar players to last year, maybe slight improvement. Hines may hit a slump, who knows. The newcomers will be what they are, and I'm talking freshmen here - Jordan, Mershon, Highfill. The X-factor is if Alford and Downs making a jump, and/or Hujsak and Ledbetter do what we think they can. If they do, this lineup could be deadly, 2016 level.

Pitching, I think we have too many arms to not be at minimum solid.

I see a fringe hosting team. Low seed host or 2 seed somewhere.
look for Downs to make a jump.

Reactions: HRMSU

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think the coaching staff has a lot of work to do to prove last year was bad luck/a fluke. Got to at least make a regional and look pretty damn competitive all season in doing so.
No they don't. Anybody with a brain knows exactly why last year was a fluke.

I'm not saying the coaches don't have a lot of work to do. They do. But not for the reasons you mention.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Walks, walks, walks. Let’s hope our staff throws strikes and allows our defense to make plays. If it does, we have a chance to be good. Free passes are hard to defend.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Coming off of a year where you don't make one - I think making one will appease people where they aren't going apeshit.
Agreed. Missing postseason once is an understandable anomaly. Missing it two years in a row will really have me questioning this staff’s ability to recruit and develop

Reactions: Dawgg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I’d definitely like to see us get off to a better start. Nonconference was a disaster for us last year, we lost quite a few games against a weak schedule, and then had the Sims injury.

We seem to play a better non-con slate this year in general. Only two games against SWAC teams all year, which feels low for us. VMI on opening weekend isn’t a good series but it at least should be a sweep and get us off to a good start.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t think Lemonis’s job is in danger at all this year, even if we don’t make a Regional. Just feel like a new AD is going to give a championship winning coach every opportunity to show he can still get it done.
This is 20-year old Larry Templeton era thinking. If a baseball coach at Mississippi State misses a regional 2 years in a row, his seat better be white-hot at the very least.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021
This success of this season will depend largely on the pitching staff and how well they perform. The lineup should be stout. But we need some returning pitchers to make a jump, we need need the transfer pitchers to be solid and we need to stay healthy.

I expect the lineup to be something like:
1. Amani Larry 2B
2. Colton Ledbetter CF
3. Luke Hancock C
4. Hunter Hines 1B
5. Slate Alford 3B
6. Kellum Clark RF
7. Lane Forsythe/David Mershon SS
8. Aaron Downs/Dakota Jordan/Connor Hujsak LF
9. Aaron Downs/Dakota Jordan/Connor Hujsak/Von Seibert DH

For this pitching staff???? I really dont know. I imagine Cade Smith will start on the weekend but other than that, who knows.
Potential Starters:
Cade Smith
KC Hunt
Landon Gartman (Memphis transfer)
Bradley Loftin (true freshman)
Jurrangelo Cijntje (true freshman BHP!!!)

Bullpen:
Pico Kohn
Parker Stinnett
Colby Holocombe (JUCO transfer)
Nate Dohm (Ball State transfer)
Aaron Nixon (Texas transfer)

Then we have several other true freshmen and juco transfers as well.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
This is 20-year old Larry Templeton era thinking. If a baseball coach at Mississippi State misses a regional 2 years in a row, his seat better be white-hot at the very least.
I think it would absolutely be white hot going into 2024. And may require some staff changes. But i fully expect Lemonis to be our coach in ‘24 even if we suck this year.

Good news is I don’t think we’ll suck this year.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Yep
Played with a guy said he was good - 7.5 hrs later we finished 18holes at farmlinks - he shot 161 and search and rescued every mishit - I shot 88
Anyone who says you can’t get worse at golf has never really played golf. I lost SIX balls today and not just I’m too lazy to walk that far to look for it, legit lost.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I'd like to say 'cautiously optimistic' but I really don't know to feel this year. I suppose it is a combination of so many new faces combined with what transpired last year.

I think it is safe to say that we will be better but how much better do we have to be to demonstrate we have our mojo back?

I think we all could agree a repeat performance of last season should culminate a coaching search. To me the same thing should be considered if we don't make a regional. I don't expect either one to happen. I will not be satisfied we are back on track until we are in a hosting discussion.

The one thing that gives me optimism is what happened in 2015 and what we followed up with in 2016.
Omaha is mandatory.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login