Baseball schedule released

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’d love that Evansville series to be up at Bosse Field.

That’s an older classic baseball field.

I used to see the Triplets (Tigers AAA team) there and more recently the Otters…

That won’t happen since weather can be iffy at times but southern Indiana isn’t too bad usually.

Reactions: 17itdawg

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
I really need a series win Feb 23-25. Wife a Ga Southern grad. I’ve avoided us playing them in any sport since we met. There’ll be no living with her if they take a series in our best sport. Tough enough they hosted a regional year before last while we sat at home. Dreading that weekend.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I get the idea of wanting to rack up wins but our nonconference RPI and SOS is probably going to be terrible.
Disagree. Evansville and GA Southern were Top 100 RPI teams last year….Air Force was Top 150. I could do without the 3 game series against Mt. St Mary’s, but only 2 SWAC games is a big plus.

Overall, it’s the kind of non-conference schedule we should play every year. A few Top 100’s but majority of nonconference in that 100-150 sweet spot where we can count on likely wins but not the type that kill your RPI. That plus an SEC slate will easily have us in the Top 30-35 if we just get close to .500 in league play.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Early schedule is exactly what I expected. All home games against mediocre at best teams (I’m being kind). We won’t have much of a clue how good we are until SEC play starts.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
That non - conference schedule doesn't exude confidence in a turn around.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I’d love that Evansville series to be up at Bosse Field.

That’s an older classic baseball field.

I used to see the Triplets (Tigers AAA team) there and more recently the Otters…

That won’t happen since weather can be iffy at times but southern Indiana isn’t too bad usually.
Hopefully, we won't be serving up cans of corn in Indiana.

Context: "can of corn" (n)

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Disagree. Evansville and GA Southern were Top 100 RPI teams last year….Air Force was Top 150. I could do without the 3 game series against Mt. St Mary’s, but only 2 SWAC games is a big plus.

Overall, it’s the kind of non-conference schedule we should play every year. A few Top 100’s but majority of nonconference in that 100-150 sweet spot where we can count on likely wins but not the type that kill your RPI. That plus an SEC slate will easily have us in the Top 30-35 if we just get close to .500 in league play.

I specifically don’t like playing all four nonconference series at home. Even just flipping the Georgia Southern series and playing them in Statesboro would've made this a better schedule without doing anything too crazy.

I do find it weird that we are playing in no early season tournament and are playing no major conference teams in nonconference. First time in a decade that’s been the case.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I specifically don’t like playing all four nonconference series at home. Even just flipping the Georgia Southern series and playing them in Statesboro would've made this a better schedule without doing anything too crazy.

I do find it weird that we are playing in no early season tournament and are playing no major conference teams in nonconference. First time in a decade that’s been the case.
Pretty clear the coaches and administration don't have much confidence in this team. Scheduling easy wins instead of testing them for the SEC season.

• Haha
Reactions: Dawg007

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Pretty clear the coaches and administration don't have much confidence in this team. Scheduling easy wins instead of testing them for the SEC season.
I’m not sure that’s the case, but its counterproductive if so. “Easy wins” might as well be losses or rain-outs if they are too easy, and this staff is not one that can afford to lose a bid to the NCAA’s if they fall on the wrong side of the bubble due to a weak NC schedule.

Overall, I think there aren’t many “name” teams, but its still nowhere close to that horrid nonconference slate we had 2 years ago.

Reactions: patdog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

One thing to bear in mind is that State is playing
five games against teams in the #5 RPI conference in the nation.

The Sun Belt didn’t just improve in football. They’ve got a good baseball conference too.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
By the way, here was UK’s nonconference slate last season:

@Elon (3 games)
Evansville
Wright State (3 games)
Morehead State
Indiana State (3 games)
Murray State
Ohio
@Southern Illinois (3 games)
Eastern Kentucky
@Western Kentucky
Dayton
Louisville (2 games, Home / Away)
Xavier
Tennessee Tech

A wet fart of a nonconference SOS, am I right?

Well, that was the #7 nonconference SOS in the country last season, and UK finished with a Top 3 RPI and hosted a regional at only 16-14 in the SEC because of it. Can’t just look at the names on the jerseys in college baseball when judging your schedule.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I mean Lemo knows he needs wins and that OOC screams "I need wins and I know they aren't coming in SEC play"

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I mean Lemo knows he needs wins and that OOC screams "I need wins and I know they aren't coming in SEC play"
He doesn’t need wins. He needs a regional appearance, at minimum. The out of conference record doesn’t really matter beyond what it takes to achieve that….I think / hope both Lemonis and Selmon are aware of that.

If he doesn’t win 13+ in regular season SEC play, he’s done regardless of what the out of conference schedule looks like. If he’s smart, he and Selmon put together a schedule that gets us on the right side of the bubble at 13-17 or 14-16. So we’ll see.

2 years ago, that wasn’t the case. People don’t realize this because we came nowhere close to achieving it, but we weren’t even going to a regional even with 15-16 regular season SEC wins in 2022, because even that wasn’t going to be mathematically enough to get us in even the Top 50 of the RPI. That’s how atrocious the nonconference schedule was that year…..and that was on the heels of a national title run. This schedule is not anywhere close to that bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8dog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login