Beamer is 20-18 heading into year #4

rockingamecock

Joined Aug 28, 2001
Feb 2, 2022
and realistically will be looking at an overall losing record at Carolina after this season. How long will he last here? (serious answers only please)

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
If we stay on the 5-6 year rotating coach machine as we are famous for, only 1-2 more years.
Or maybe we try something different?

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
IF he goes 4-8 or 5-7 as many seem to think that this will happen, anywhere else he would be gone by years end.
But here, some have already conceded that 2025 campaign will be the deciding factor.
With that said, for me it's nearly impossible to tell how long his tenure may be. The bar has been set so low that back to back 5-7 campaigns would still not be enough to force a reset.

For me, if we end up at 4-8 I would want him gone.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
IF he goes 4-8 or 5-7 as many seem to think that this will happen, anywhere else he would be gone by years end.
But here, some have already conceded that 2025 campaign will be the deciding factor.
With that said, for me it's nearly impossible to tell how long his tenure may be. The bar has been set so low that back to back 5-7 campaigns would still not be enough to force a reset.

For me, if we end 4-8 I would want him gone.

There was an article posted on here a few weeks ago that looked at the fate of USC coaches after their 4th season. If you have a down year in your 4th year, your fate was sealed. We're banking on Beamer being good enough to break historical precedent.

Reactions: PrestonyteParrot

08Tiger

Jul 1, 2024
I've accepted the fact that things may never change here...
Do you wish you were in a different conference? As a fan, wouldn't it be fun to be in the ACC and compete for championships?

I asked this question in a post in here a week or two ago and was surprised by the majority of responses being no. Some reasoned you have to play against the best to be the best, but wouldn't it be fun as a fan to win more, even if you didn't get to beat your chest about being affiliated with the best conference?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Do you wish you were in a different conference? As a fan, wouldn't it be fun to be in the ACC and compete for championships?

I asked this question in a post in here a week or two ago and was surprised by the majority of responses being no. Some reasoned you have to play against the best to be the best, but wouldn't it be fun as a fan to win more, even if you didn't get to beat your chest about being affiliated with the best conference?

We would not compete for championships in the ACC.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022

I take it that you don't want your tigers in the SEC.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
No. I want to stay in the ACC. But I'm just a fan. I'm sure the school and team and people more directly involved like the idea of a lot more money annually.
The ACC might not be around much longer. There's no question that you and FSU would make the Big12 a better conference.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think you could. At least, the ACC would present the opportunity more often. South Carolina could at least be in the discussion every year

I doubt it. We lose the "come play in the SEC" recruiting chip. That's one of two recruiting chips we have to play. The other is playing time. Maybe we'd be a bit more of a consistent 7-8 win team in the ACC, but we'd take a recruiting hit for sure and I don't think we'd compete for titles. If you're gonna play in the ACC, why would you choose USC over Clemson? We might get some guys over Clemson now b/c the SEC is perceived to be the better conference, but that wouldn't be the case if we were in the ACC.

Reactions: USCEE82

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
At some point we need a winning record in the SEC.
Then we need to win the SEC.
And then we need to win the SEC multiple years in a row.
Reasonable?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
At some point we need a winning record in the SEC.
Then we need to win the SEC.
And then we need to win the SEC multiple years in a row.
Reasonable?
Baby steps. Let's start with a .500 conference record.

08Tiger

Jul 1, 2024
I doubt it. We lose the "come play in the SEC" recruiting chip. That's one of two recruiting chips we have to play. The other is playing time. Maybe we'd be a bit more of a consistent 7-8 win team in the ACC, but we'd take a recruiting hit for sure and I don't think we'd compete for titles. If you're gonna play in the ACC, why would you choose USC over Clemson? We might get some guys over Clemson now b/c the SEC is perceived to be the better conference, but that wouldn't be the case if we were in the ACC.
You could be right. I really don't know. I'm just playing devil's advocate but I think winning solves a lot of recruiting problems. If you win more consistently and can get yourself into conference championship opportunities (which in the current setup means playoff opportunities), I think there could be a fierce recruiting competition between our two schools. And the ACC definitely presents more opportunities for wins. The 2024 schefule for South Carolina is brutal. There are only a small handful of teams that could play that schedule and have a realistic chance of coming out unscathed.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022

No. I love it in the SEC. If we have a quality coach, we can be nationally relevant in the SEC. Steve Spurrier proved that. I'm just not sold on Beamer. Evidently, he was the "cheap hire". If he proves not to have the "coaching chops" (will know one way or the other by next season at the latest), I believe the hiring authorities here will then hire a young, proven, successful Head Coach who is offensive-oriented from a lower tier FBS school. We hired a young, proven, successful Head Coach from a lower tier FBS school in basketball. We are excited about what L:amont Paris can accomplish here. Why not in football.

Last edited:

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
After Spurrier retired, we hired someone (Muschamp) who proved at Florida that being a Head Coach was over his head (the Peter Principle). Unbelievable. Then rather than hire a PROVEN, successful Head Coach, we rolled the dice again on someone (Beamer) who has never been an Offensive Coordinator, much less a Head Coach. Remarkably unbelievable.

It's very difficult to recruit at South Carolina. We share a relatively small state with Clemson. We are a short distance from national powers or traditionally national powers (Georgia, Tennessee and Florida). To believe we can recruit ourselves to national relevancy is a "fools errand". The only modicum of success we have had here is with proven successful Head Coach hires from FBS schools. Hiring coaches here who had never been Head Coaches at the FBS level or successful at that level (Bell, Woods, Scott, and Muschamp) has proven to be an unmitigated disaster. Does Beamer have the "coaching chops" to break that trend? Time will tell.

Reactions: USCEE82

Surfcock

Jul 24, 2022
and realistically will be looking at an overall losing record at Carolina after this season. How long will he last here? (serious answers only please)
These types of posts are getting old.

Just for reference, the ole ball coach was being questioned nationally at years 3 and 4. We dump him at year 4. We never have the years of success we saw.

Today’s coaches have a ton more *** kissing and outside influences to deal with than any other era. The expansion of TX and OK doesn’t help.

Currently this non-recruiting dip $&#^ that everyone labels Beamer has Carolina set with one of the best OL bodies this team has ever seen.

People said he needed better assistant coaches. It appears, to me, he’s heard those calls and did that. Can we give them a chance to prove it for once???

Nothing is ever going to change if a coach is not allowed to lay a foundation. OBC showed it could be done but he was given the time to do it. I for one would like to leave the Merry Go Round at the fairgrounds and put my support behind a guy who’s trying to make this team better and competitive everyday.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
These types of posts are getting old.

Just for reference, the ole ball coach was being questioned nationally at years 3 and 4. We dump him at year 4. We never have the years of success we saw.

Today’s coaches have a ton more *** kissing and outside influences to deal with than any other era. The expansion of TX and OK doesn’t help.

Currently this non-recruiting dip $&#^ that everyone labels Beamer has Carolina set with one of the best OL bodies this team has ever seen.

People said he needed better assistant coaches. It appears, to me, he’s heard those calls and did that. Can we give them a chance to prove it for once???

Nothing is ever going to change if a coach is not allowed to lay a foundation. OBC showed it could be done but he was given the time to do it. I for one would like to leave the Merry Go Round at the fairgrounds and put my support behind a guy who’s trying to make this team better and competitive everyday.
Agree. We can stay on the 5-year coaching carousel or try something different.
Instead of getting the same outcome every 5 years we might get something better given time as Spurrier demonstrated can be done.

Reactions: YankeeRooster

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Here’s a thought. Hire a guy with actual HC experience and won. Go grab someone from the Mid-America conf.
If Beamer fails and the hiring authorities roll the dice for a 3rd straight time, I may throw in the towel on football and just keep up with basketball. Wasting time on another experiment is crazy.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
His Dad was at VT for a long time; through good and bad years. It seemed to work for VT (my kid’s Alma mater). A completely different age.

Surfcock

Jul 24, 2022
Here’s another side of how these kinds of posts and talk hurts the program….Inside the Gamecocks The Show Episode 463 states this kind of hot seat talk was a factor for the WR kid picking FSU over our team

so please keep up the good work “Land of Misfit Fans” you’re keeping our tradition of mediocrity alive and well

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Here’s another side of how these kinds of posts and talk hurts the program….Inside the Gamecocks The Show Episode 463 states this kind of hot seat talk was a factor for the WR kid picking FSU over our team

so please keep up the good work “Land of Misfit Fans” you’re keeping our tradition of mediocrity alive and well

Did the player really say that? It sounds comical to me to think that a player will let coaching, playing time, depth chart issues, and God forbid NIL deals take a back seat to message board chatter.

Or did someone on our side make the claim?

Surfcock

Jul 24, 2022
Did the player really say that? It sounds comical to me to think that a player will let coaching, playing time, depth chart issues, and God forbid NIL deals take a back seat to message board chatter.

Or did someone on our side make the claim?
Why do I need to back up the statement? Go listen for yourself

My initial statement, we have some of the best OL prospects this program has ever seen. That comes from what a former player John Strickland stated on one of those shows. Garcia is on all the time. He states the program appears to be going in the right direction.

Should former players be believed on what they see and know or some keyboard cowboys who are never happy about anything and just like to make click bait comments?

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Why do I need to back up the statement? Go listen for yourself

My initial statement, we have some of the best OL prospects this program has ever seen. That comes from what a former player John Strickland stated on one of those shows. Garcia is on all the time. He states the program appears to be going in the right direction.

Should former players be believed on what they see and know or some keyboard cowboys who are never happy about anything and just like to make click bait comments?

No, it's the type of statement I completely believe that no one would back up.

As for believing the program is going in the right direction? Former players opinions are fine. Their opinions may even carry more weight if they're still involved with the program. They also may be completely biased.

I hardly think that means people with other opinions shouldn't voice theirs. That is pretty much the point of message boards. And the positive direction of the program is hardly an unassailable affirmative right now.

Last edited:

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
In my opinion, this season will show what we have or do not have in Beamer. As I've said before, we have never been a recruiting juggernaut. And nothing Beamer has done in recruiting shows that is going to change. So, he has to make his reputation on the coaching field. He has to "coach up" the players he has. He has to be able to coach his coaches, put together good game strategies, tactics to implement those strategies and motivate his guys. He is going to have to "do more with less" because we are usually going to have "less", that is outmanned on the playing field. This year's schedule gives Beamer a chance to show he has the coaching chops to succeed here. This year's performance will tell us whether the program is "going in the right direction". We can have anyone saying that. But words are cheap. Let's see it on the field. Comparing Beamer to Spurrier is crazy. Spurrier had a track record of winning conference championships at two different schools as a Head Coach. Beamer is a blank page on that. We don't know he can get the job done. We knew Spurrier would get it done. No, he did not win conference championships here. All he did was lead the program to national Top 10 finishes for the first time ever, doing it 3 times. And by the way, I don't buy for one second that message board chatter on Beamer's job security drove a recruit to another school. Sometimes kids don't want to be honest with the reasoning of their decision so as not to disappoint some people. After all, Beamer got a nice contract extension and very good pay raise just last year.

Debo77

Dec 21, 2022
I think next years recruiting class should determine his status......if he pulls nothing but 3 stars again then he needs to go.....if he can get a competitive class then that might buy him another year or 2

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
In my opinion, this season will show what we have or do not have in Beamer. As I've said before, we have never been a recruiting juggernaut. And nothing Beamer has done in recruiting shows that is going to change. So, he has to make his reputation on the coaching field. He has to "coach up" the players he has. He has to be able to coach his coaches, put together good game strategies, tactics to implement those strategies and motivate his guys. He is going to have to "do more with less" because we are usually going to have "less", that is outmanned on the playing field. This year's schedule gives Beamer a chance to show he has the coaching chops to succeed here. This year's performance will tell us whether the program is "going in the right direction". We can have anyone saying that. But words are cheap. Let's see it on the field. Comparing Beamer to Spurrier is crazy. Spurrier had a track record of winning conference championships at two different schools as a Head Coach. Beamer is a blank page on that. We don't know he can get the job done. We knew Spurrier would get it done. No, he did not win conference championships here. All he did was lead the program to national Top 10 finishes for the first time ever, doing it 3 times. And by the way, I don't buy for one second that message board chatter on Beamer's job security drove a recruit to another school. Sometimes kids don't want to be honest with the reasoning of their decision so as not to disappoint some people. After all, Beamer got a nice contract extension and very good pay raise just last year.
I can't disagree with anything you stated above but wonder if ''showing he has coaching chops'' equates to having to win a certain number of games and if showing you belong on the same field against some big-time programs while showcasing some competitive SEC athletes is enough to demonstrate ''going in the right direction''. Firing Beamer without giving him time to grow with the program doesn't guarantee we won't end up in the exact same place with the next coach had we actually given him more time to develop.
Given time, Beamer may become our legacy coach. Let him go too quickly and he may become someone else's legacy coach. A roll of the dice and a little faith has turned many a struggling young coach into a Hall of Famer.

Reactions: vacock and 3USC1801

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
His Dad was at VT for a long time; through good and bad years. It seemed to work for VT (my kid’s Alma mater). A completely different age.
Yes, but what people forget or don't know is that prior to going to Virginia Tech, Frank was Head Coach at Murray State, leading them to national 2 Top 20, 1 Top 15 and 1 Top 10 finish in six years at that school at that level. The problem with hiring a Head Coach who has never been a Head Coach is that you have no track record to go by, only HOPE. So, you can't hold on to someone for a long time based on "HOPE". If you don't have a good idea that Beamer can "coach", then there's only one thing you can do. Right now, Beamer's Head Coaching career is wrapped around 2 Saturdays in November 2022, which led to his getting a very nice extension and nearly tripling his pay. "HOPE" has never been a good strategy for anything. It's kind of like settling for "OK".

Last edited:

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I can't disagree with anything you stated above but wonder if ''showing he has coaching chops'' equates to having to win a certain number of games and if showing you belong on the same field against some big-time programs while showcasing some competitive SEC athletes is enough to demonstrate ''going in the right direction''. Firing Beamer without giving him time to grow with the program doesn't guarantee we won't end up in the exact same place with the next coach had we actually given him more time to develop.
Given time, Beamer may become our legacy coach. Let him go too quickly and he may become someone else's legacy coach. A roll of the dice and a little faith has turned many a struggling young coach into a Hall of Famer.
I think we know that the question is how much time do we give him? That's the problem with hiring someone who has no proven track record. Should we have given Brad Scott and Will Muschamp more time? I think the fact that they have not gotten other Head Coaching jobs since leaving here, says we made the right decisions in parting ways with them. I suspect that if we end up firing Beamer, we will do what has given us at least a modicum of success in the past: hire someone who has had prior, successful Head Coaching experience at the FBS level. I don't believe we will roll the dice a 3rd straight time. I just don't. To quote Stephen King: "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times, shame on you and me".

Like I said, I think this season gives us a chance to see what we have or don't have in Beamer. I believe the only games on this year's schedule I would put definitely in the "Loss Column" are LSU, Alabama and Oklahoma. Now, that does not mean we should win the rest of the games on our schedule. All it means is we have a chance. We have 4 "gimmes" on the schedule. Beyond them, we have Kentucky, who has not killed us in recruiting and we have beaten them for the past 2 seasons. We have Ole Miss and Missouri who have not killed us in recruiting and we play both at home. We have Texas A&M, with a new Head Coach, at home, who we beat at home 2 years ago. We go back to Clemson where we beat them 2 years ago. Even though Lane Kiffin beat LSU at home in his 4th season last year, I did not include them on the beatable list. Maybe I should have, but didn't. Can we win 6 or 7 games? Damn right I think we can. 7-5 would give us a 4-4 conference record. Is a .500 record in conference play an unreasonable expectation in Year 4 of the program? Not to me. Should we fire Beamer if he does not go 7-5? Not necessarily. But if we don't go to a bowl, meaning we go 5-7, I'd definitely give Beamer his walking papers and tell him what Tom Hanks repeatedly said in the movie "You've Got Mail" : "It's not personal; it's business".

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login