Beamer is 20-18 heading into year #4

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
No. I want to stay in the ACC. But I'm just a fan. I'm sure the school and team and people more directly involved like the idea of a lot more money annually.
Nothing gets the heart pumping more than that home schedule where you know you’ve got Virginia, Syracuse, Boston College, and Georgia Tech coming to town. Throw in your three patsy home games, and I am not sure I would drive down the street to see a win.

Reactions: Forkcock and vacock

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
After Spurrier retired, we hired someone (Muschamp) who proved at Florida that being a Head Coach was over his head (the Peter Principle). Unbelievable. Then rather than hire a PROVEN, successful Head Coach, we rolled the dice again on someone (Beamer) who has never been an Offensive Coordinator, much less a Head Coach. Remarkably unbelievable.

It's very difficult to recruit at South Carolina. We share a relatively small state with Clemson. We are a short distance from national powers or traditionally national powers (Georgia, Tennessee and Florida). To believe we can recruit ourselves to national relevancy is a "fools errand". The only modicum of success we have had here is with proven successful Head Coach hires from FBS schools. Hiring coaches here who had never been Head Coaches at the FBS level or successful at that level (Bell, Woods, Scott, and Muschamp) has proven to be an unmitigated disaster. Does Beamer have the "coaching chops" to break that trend? Time will tell.
So I would assume you thought Clemson hiring Dabo Swinney, who is not a head coach or an offensive coordinator, was remarkably unbelievable as well, correct?

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
These types of posts are getting old.

Just for reference, the ole ball coach was being questioned nationally at years 3 and 4. We dump him at year 4. We never have the years of success we saw.

Today’s coaches have a ton more *** kissing and outside influences to deal with than any other era. The expansion of TX and OK doesn’t help.

Currently this non-recruiting dip $&#^ that everyone labels Beamer has Carolina set with one of the best OL bodies this team has ever seen.

People said he needed better assistant coaches. It appears, to me, he’s heard those calls and did that. Can we give them a chance to prove it for once???

Nothing is ever going to change if a coach is not allowed to lay a foundation. OBC showed it could be done but he was given the time to do it. I for one would like to leave the Merry Go Round at the fairgrounds and put my support behind a guy who’s trying to make this team better and competitive everyday.
You nailed it

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
In my opinion, this season will show what we have or do not have in Beamer. As I've said before, we have never been a recruiting juggernaut. And nothing Beamer has done in recruiting shows that is going to change. So, he has to make his reputation on the coaching field. He has to "coach up" the players he has. He has to be able to coach his coaches, put together good game strategies, tactics to implement those strategies and motivate his guys. He is going to have to "do more with less" because we are usually going to have "less", that is outmanned on the playing field. This year's schedule gives Beamer a chance to show he has the coaching chops to succeed here. This year's performance will tell us whether the program is "going in the right direction". We can have anyone saying that. But words are cheap. Let's see it on the field. Comparing Beamer to Spurrier is crazy. Spurrier had a track record of winning conference championships at two different schools as a Head Coach. Beamer is a blank page on that. We don't know he can get the job done. We knew Spurrier would get it done. No, he did not win conference championships here. All he did was lead the program to national Top 10 finishes for the first time ever, doing it 3 times. And by the way, I don't buy for one second that message board chatter on Beamer's job security drove a recruit to another school. Sometimes kids don't want to be honest with the reasoning of their decision so as not to disappoint some people. After all, Beamer got a nice contract extension and very good pay raise just last year.
Paragraphs…..a lost art

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
So I would assume you thought Clemson hiring Dabo Swinney, who is not a head coach or an offensive coordinator, was remarkably unbelievable as well, correct?
I believe hiring someone who has never been a Head Coach to coach at, in essence a SEC type program (which has traditionally had big success) in a basketball-first conference is totally different than throwing someone into the shark-infested waters of the strongest college football conference (SEC), from top to bottom, in the nation. at a school with traditionally mediocre success. There is a reason why Sam Pittman is on the "hot seat" at Arkansas, though he was a junior college Head Coach for 2 years producing a mediocre record, nearly 30 years before becoming a Head Coach at Arkansas of the SEC.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Paragraphs…..a lost art
Touche. Sorry about that. Believe it or not, English was the only course I did not make an "A" or "B" in my college career in undergraduate and graduate school at USC. I despised (no longer do) the professor who gave me the "C", though that grade was, admittingly, better than I deserved. May she be resting in peace.

Surfcock

Jul 24, 2022
Yes, but what people forget or don't know is that prior to going to Virginia Tech, Frank was Head Coach at Murray State, leading them to national 2 Top 20, 1 Top 15 and 1 Top 10 finish in six years at that school at that level. The problem with hiring a Head Coach who has never been a Head Coach is that you have no track record to go by, only HOPE. So, you can't hold on to someone for a long time based on "HOPE". If you don't have a good idea that Beamer can "coach", then there's only one thing you can do. Right now, Beamer's Head Coaching career is wrapped around 2 Saturdays in November 2022, which led to his getting a very nice extension and nearly tripling his pay. "HOPE" has never been a good strategy for anything. It's kind of like settling for "OK".
Our of HC Histories
Ditzel, Carlen, Morrison, Woods, Holtz, OBC, Muschamp

assistant coaches
Bell, Fat Brad, Beamer

The one I’ve heard repeatedly over and over who was THE ONE was Carlen. Unfortunately, he didn’t want to write the million dollar check.

Looking at that “60 yrs of hope”. Who do we hire? Where is the magic $$$ to pull in the HS or transfers coming from? The big names that everyone wanted over Muschamp also failed.

Tell us…..who is the savior that this program should hire?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Our of HC Histories
Ditzel, Carlen, Morrison, Woods, Holtz, OBC, Muschamp

assistant coaches
Bell, Fat Brad, Beamer

The one I’ve heard repeatedly over and over who was THE ONE was Carlen. Unfortunately, he didn’t want to write the million dollar check.

Looking at that “60 yrs of hope”. Who do we hire? Where is the magic $$$ to pull in the HS or transfers coming from? The big names that everyone wanted over Muschamp also failed.

Tell us…..who is the savior that this program should hire?
Right now, let's all hope that Beamer can pull us out of the mediocrity ditch and pull for him. If he can't, I will certainly chime in with a name(s).

I have said it many times: we have never been a recruiting juggernaut and never will be, especially in the NIL era.

No matter who is hired in the future, there is no guarantee (even Super Bowl champions Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll have been fired). All one can do is improve the odds of success.

Speaking of Jim Carlen, I recall him saying something at a Gamecock get-together. He said that he (we) will never have a great recruiting class because he was not willing to buy a recruit even a cup of coffee.

Reactions: Lurker123

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Let me add one other thing about Jim Carlen. I really, really liked Jim Carlen. He might have been my favorite coach. He was blunt and to the point. He spoke his mind. He is the only coach we have ever had that I heard who gave his political affiliation. Coach Carlen said he was a Republican. I'm not sure that was a smart thing to say because I doubt that every kid he recruited came from a Republican family.

And the student body loved him. I remember when I was in graduate school, students yelling out loud towards him that they loved him. I think he was one of a kind, a good kind. President Dr. Jim Holderman, a SOB, fired him because Carlen, who was also AD, would not turn over athletic monies to him, as I recall.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
I believe hiring someone who has never been a Head Coach to coach at, in essence a SEC type program (which has traditionally had big success) in a basketball-first conference is totally different than throwing someone into the shark-infested waters of the strongest college football conference (SEC), from top to bottom, in the nation. at a school with traditionally mediocre success. There is a reason why Sam Pittman is on the "hot seat" at Arkansas, though he was a junior college Head Coach for 2 years producing a mediocre record, nearly 30 years before becoming a Head Coach at Arkansas of the SEC.
Successful coaches have to come from somewhere

08Tiger

Jul 1, 2024
Be gone tater

Nothing gets the heart pumping more than that home schedule where you know you’ve got Virginia, Syracuse, Boston College, and Georgia Tech coming to town. Throw in your three patsy home games, and I am not sure I would drive down the street to see
What really does get your heart pumping? Is it getting pounded year in and year out by better football teams?

While that sounds thrilling, I'll tell you what is actually exciting and worth driving down the street to see: conference championship games, playoff games and national championship games. The ACC provides that opportunity to Clemson and I believe that South Carolina would have a better opportunity to experience that in a different conference. South Carolina's record against current SEC teams is 133-222-10. Does that get your heart pumping?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Successful coaches have to come from somewhere
I don't disagree with you, my friend. I really, really don't. All I'm saying is that a program can increase its chances for future success in the hiring process by studying its history and understanding its circumstances and surroundings.

Dutch Cock

Joined Nov 14, 2005
Jan 17, 2022
These types of posts are getting old.

Just for reference, the ole ball coach was being questioned nationally at years 3 and 4. We dump him at year 4. We never have the years of success we saw.

Today’s coaches have a ton more *** kissing and outside influences to deal with than any other era. The expansion of TX and OK doesn’t help.

Currently this non-recruiting dip $&#^ that everyone labels Beamer has Carolina set with one of the best OL bodies this team has ever seen.

People said he needed better assistant coaches. It appears, to me, he’s heard those calls and did that. Can we give them a chance to prove it for once???

Nothing is ever going to change if a coach is not allowed to lay a foundation. OBC showed it could be done but he was given the time to do it. I for one would like to leave the Merry Go Round at the fairgrounds and put my support behind a guy who’s trying to make this team better and competitive everyday.
You nailed this one right on the head.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
All y’all’s fault. Cough up a lot more money.
I’ll watch from the sidelines. 😏

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login