Been taking in all the commentary and I have something to say...

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I have seen much negative commentary on John and some on Coach Polk with this change of leadership. I don't agree with every decision made by John or Coach Polk. But I do know they had the guts to be in those positions to make decisions that effects so many people. Did every decision work out? No, but in the long run they both did way more positive things than any of us message board A** Clowns ever did for Mississippi State Athletics. I know every decision they made was an attempt to better the Mississippi State name and environment.

So thank them for the things they did that worked out. Wish them well in the future. Cause face it A** Clowns in your opinion, you will never get a perfect AD, Coach or Player at MSU. They don't exist in the real world.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I have seen much negative commentary on John and some on Coach Polk with this change of leadership. I don't agree with every decision made by John or Coach Polk. But I do know they had the guts to be in those positions to make decisions that effects so many people. Did every decision work out? No, but in the long run they both did way more positive things than any of us message board A** Clowns ever did for Mississippi State Athletics. I know every decision they made was an attempt to better the Mississippi State name and environment.

So thank them for the things they did that worked out. Wish them well in the future. Cause face it A** Clowns in your opinion, you will never get a perfect AD, Coach or Player at MSU. They don't exist in the real world.
At no point in any of the discussions have I seen anyone hint that there’s a perfect AD. But to think we can surely do better than a mindfricked, former baseball coach who, at BEST, broke even here after some catastrophic hirings and firings is not being an *** clown.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Cohen deserves better than this from us and State. His hires have all been vetted with blessings from most and he made decisive calls when he needed to pull the plug.

There is no crystal ball on coaching hires. Seeing the problem and making a quick call on Morehead was a big move. Leach may not work either but I still think it will and so do many others.

I have no animosity toward the man for trying to Better himself, besides He Brought us our only national title so say thank you to him and let’s see what tomorrow brings. We could get a new AD with some new ideas that are exciting.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
JC brought a lot of this on himself. Coach Polk is one of the most approachable people you'll meet. He will talk to anyone and crack a joke while he's talking to you, whether he knows you or not. As I'm sure you're well aware. He and I and my wife walked together and talked all the way back to parking after one of the football games last year, and he didn't know us from Adam. Of course, we have a mutual acquaintance. My uncle and he are buds and have had coffee every morning he's in Starkville for the last 40 years or so. He could not have been any nicer, though. JC is not approachable at all. He can't be bothered with the common man. I know you don't see that because y'all are tight. The average fan sees that and it's a major turn off.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014

Your boy Cohen is the *** clown. He’s better than that turd LT. that’s the only compliment that can be paid to him for his tenure as AD

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
JC brought a lot of this on himself. Coach Polk is one of the most approachable people you'll meet. He will talk to anyone and crack a joke while he's talking to you, whether he knows you or not. As I'm sure you're well aware. He and I and my wife walked together and talked all the way back to parking after one of the football games last year, and he didn't know us from Adam. Of course, we have a mutual acquaintance. My uncle and he are buds and have had coffee every morning he's in Starkville for the last 40 years or so. He could not have been any nicer, though. JC is not approachable at all. He can't be bothered with the common man. I know you don't see that because y'all are tight. The average fan sees that and it's a major turn off.
I've only had one interaction with Cohen. This was while he was still coaching, during a military appreciation game (Memorial Day possibility?) there were at least a hundred extra people on the field (not just military, but kids and families), Cohen spoke to everyone and shook everyone's hand. That's all I got, I wish him the best, but I think he was average as AD.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008

Bruce, consider Greg Byrne. He’s not perfect either but he’s a lot closer to it than John Cohen.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Well Said Bruce. Well Said. We love to biatch, moan and groan about specific instances but fail to look into our own mirror. I'm as guilty as the next guy I reckon.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Cohen deserves better than this from us and State. His hires have all been vetted with blessings from most and he made decisive calls when he needed to pull the plug.

There is no crystal ball on coaching hires. Seeing the problem and making a quick call on Morehead was a big move. Leach may not work either but I still think it will and so do many others.

I have no animosity toward the man for trying to Better himself, besides He Brought us our only national title so say thank you to him and let’s see what tomorrow brings. We could get a new AD with some new ideas that are exciting.
Exactly.

It's like some people have to lash out for really no reason.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I have never said anything bad or insinuated anything bad about the man until yesterday. If he is interviewing for other jobs screw him.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Have you ever interviewed for other jobs?
I have had two jobs since I graduated in 1992. I was self-employed in my first job. I am a loyal employee to my current employer. I have been there 20 years. He was given a chance by Miss State and no other and I mean no other school in the Nation would have given him that opportunity without the experience. He really had no experience at all about being an AD when he took over. I think he owes Miss State more than this. How many millions do you need to earn? I understand my views about it are different than others and we will disagree but that's ok.

Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Have you ever interviewed for other jobs?
Were you ever allowed to move within your company to a position you are completely unqualified for? Then learned on the job while making sh1tloads of money? All the while making catastrophic bad decisions, then getting pay raises consistently? Then decided to leave for a dumpster fire to make more money?

17 you, tw@t.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Who you calling A**Clown?
Clown Conancon2019 GIF by Team Coco

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’ve only had a few interactions with John. 1 was as a recent grad, Cohen had just taken over as head coach. I was talking to him about a potential volunteer spot on the staff. I played baseball at a lower level in college before moving to state and was interested in coaching. I went a different direction but Cohen was cordial to me and helpful. The other times were in a business setting. I was with a financial institution looking at the baseball stadium financing. Cohen has a very direct personality from my experience and I could see it rubbing people the wrong way… but he’s not an *******. I always found him to be helpful and focused on the task at hand.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Go tell your boss you're interviewing with a direct competitor and see how that **** goes.
But this was a mutual parting anyway.
If your employer gets mad at you because someone is interested in you or you’re trying to better your situation, then you need to get a new job. I’ve had several of my employees come and tell me about opportunities that they have or things they are thinking about doing and I always tell them to do what’s best for them. Obviously if they are talented and I want to keep them, I’ll do what I can but I certainly never hold it against them for wanting better.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
If your employer gets mad at you because someone is interested in you or you’re trying to better your situation, then you need to get a new job. I’ve had several of my employees come and tell me about opportunities that they have or things they are thinking about doing and I always tell them to do what’s best for them. Obviously if they are talented and I want to keep them, I’ll do what I can but I certainly never hold it against them for wanting better.
The problem about interviewing for another job, is not that you did so, But that it was so public.
The whole world knew.
Then....Get The 17 OUT! in that case.

That's the one thing I could not stand with Dan Mullen.

Reactions: Dawg1976

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I have had two jobs since I graduated in 1992. I was self-employed in my first job. I am a loyal employee to my current employer. I have been there 20 years. He was given a chance by Miss State and no other and I mean no other school in the Nation would have given him that opportunity without the experience. He really had no experience at all about being an AD when he took over. I think he owes Miss State more than this. How many millions do you need to earn? I understand my views about it are different than others and we will disagree but that's ok.
GloryDawg—

I usually like your posts a lot. You’ve got a good mind.

With that said, I got to disagree with you.

Your job is not your life.

People need to do what’s best for themselves— whether that’s mentally, financially, socially, or whatever.

I wish John would stay. He’s probably no Ninja or Loafers, but he’s not terrible either.

But if he wants to go and wants a new challenge, I don’t blame him.

I’d rather have someone at a job who feels vested in it.

Reactions: GloryDawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
GloryDawg—

I usually like your posts a lot. You’ve got a good mind.

With that said, I got to disagree with you.

Your job is not your life.

People need to do what’s best for themselves— whether that’s mentally, financially, socially, or whatever.

I wish John would stay. He’s probably no Ninja or Loafers, but he’s not terrible either.

But if he wants to go and wants a new challenge, I don’t blame him.

I’d rather have someone at a job who feels vested in it.
Like I said everyone will have a different opinion and I am good with that. I have had the same employer for 20 years. They have treated me really good and have rewarded me very well for my job performance. All the benefits and retirement they give us I have no desires to leave. I have always believed in finding a job and sticking to it. Just make the grass on your side of the fence greener.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Thanks Bruce. I don't know that I've liked everything John has done for sure but I've been happy with the overall job that he has done to improve the athletics across the board. Yeah, we definitely have had rocky days with our Big 3 sports but he kept the ship afloat and brought a couple of sports up a notch like softball, soccer, volleyball. I thought he handled some of the bad situations like Can and Moorhead pretty well because he handled things quickly instead of dragging things out.

Like any college sports management position we have people who love and hate but I think time is going to show overall he did a good job. That being said it's probably time to try something new either now or very soon.

I can definitely see some of you folks never endured Larry but that's not something everyone can stomach.

Statefan92

Oct 9, 2022
I guess I see the problem here as everyone who is defending Cohen are saying he is “trying to better himself” that is ridiculous Auburn is not a better job and I will never admit that it is!!! That place is a complete dumpster fire with all the hands involved and will never get any better! So I am very excited that Cohen is going there! They are perfect for each other! We can only pray that he makes the same f’ ups that he has made here by making the worst hires ever and then trying to correct it!!!
Let’s see
Cannizzaro…..failure
Moorehead…..disaster
Vic Schaefer….best coach we get had in any sport ran him off
Back to baseball promises a coach with CWS experience but those guys did not want to work for him!!! He got lucky with Lemonis by catching lightning in a bottle

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I guess I see the problem here as everyone who is defending Cohen are saying he is “trying to better himself” that is ridiculous Auburn is not a better job and I will never admit that it is!!! That place is a complete dumpster fire with all the hands involved and will never get any better! So I am very excited that Cohen is going there! They are perfect for each other! We can only pray that he makes the same f’ ups that he has made here by making the worst hires ever and then trying to correct it!!!
Let’s see
Cannizzaro…..failure
Moorehead…..disaster
Vic Schaefer….best coach we get had in any sport ran him off
Back to baseball promises a coach with CWS experience but those guys did not want to work for him!!! He got lucky with Lemonis by catching lightning in a bottle
You forgot Nikki McCray Penson.....disaster. And, what about Howland, his success can be debated and the verdict on Leach will pan out in a year or so, or won't?

Statefan92

Oct 9, 2022
You forgot Nikki McCray Penson.....disaster. And, what about Howland, his success can be debated and the verdict on Leach will pan out in a year or so, or won't?
Yeah I kinda lumped the whole Vic thing together…Howland…..wow
Leach we shall see but a lot better than Joe Mo

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Cohen didn't hire Howland, that was Stricklin's doing

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Cohen made decisions that could easily be second guessed. I do think the changes in the game day and seating experience in basketball and baseball made it a lot less fun for me and my family, but overall the guy did a good job for us. We could do a lot worse --- an we just might. Hopefully, not.
I would like to more about the Vic episode (with pics please - good pics)

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009

I'm not as much upset with the bad decisions that John Cohen made. I think most are just stunned by the disrespect and the timing involved in all of this. Also... Auburn??? really?

John Cohen can go **** himself.

PirateBay

Jan 9, 2020
I pay money to State athletics. Cohen was paid money by State athletics. It’s no different from any other relationship between donors and management, and completely fair to question his decisions.

In fact, that’s really all we can do. Would we have won a national championship without him? Would we be in a better position as a department had we hired someone else? We don’t know, and we will never know. Opining about what he’s done to help us is speculative and a waste of time. Evaluate where you are and how you can improve, then move forward to accomplish it. What we do know, is NIL was a problem area. We know Cohen has been hesitant to take that on full stream. We also know that it appears there was no real attempt made to keep him by the people we have in place to be his superiors.

That being said, this is different in that it’s his alma mater, he’s been given everything there is to give. Frankly, this should be his dream job. But, he’s leaving for an in-division rival’s job the week we play them. We can can put lipstick on that pig all we want, my stance is don’t let the door hit you.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
At no point in any of the discussions have I seen anyone hint that there’s a perfect AD. But to think we can surely do better than a mindfricked, former baseball coach who, at BEST, broke even here after some catastrophic hirings and firings is not being an *** clown.
Bashing Cohen constantly and being a moron makes you an *** clown.

Cohen wasn’t great. He wasn’t bad.

Don’t be an *** clown.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don't know State fans that don't love Polk.
I don't know a ton of State fans that like Cohen as an AD. I have nothing against Cohen personally.
When we hired Cohen as a baseball coach and Polk got mad, THERE WERE A TON OF STATE FANS WHO DIDNT LIKE POLK.

People are emotional. They let their emotions get the best of them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login