Belichick canned

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
It's insulting to Belichick to put Saban in the same sentence, or even paragraph. One dominated with no inherent advantage and a draft that is designed to induce parity. The other dominated by always having the best players in a system designed to keep the top teams at the top. One is the greatest chess champion ever. The other dominated the checkers circuit.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’m not a huge fan of him, but this is lunacy. He’s the best ever. The way he does things just met its expiration date. And if the argument is that it was all Brady? Then Tell me who was the greatest coach ever then. I’m willing to bet whoever it is also had a hall of fame QB during their run.
"The way he does things just met its expiration date". Explain this please.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
It's insulting to Belichick to put Saban in the same sentence, or even paragraph. One dominated with no inherent advantage and a draft that is designed to induce parity. The other dominated by always having the best players in a system designed to keep the top teams at the top. One is the greatest chess champion ever. The other dominated the checkers circuit.
Huh, not doubting his greatness but you do realize that division sucked for more than a decade right? That guaranteed home playoff games and allowed them to get up for the really tough games on their schedule which amounted to an average of 4-5 a year. Split those and you are in the running for a one or two seed which both used to get buys into the second round.

Also, he had the Goat who took a home town discount to build around him.

Their ability to draft talent was off the charts and he is an amazing coach but to say he didn't have built in advantages is just not true.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I’m not a huge fan of him, but this is lunacy. He’s the best ever. The way he does things just met its expiration date. And if the argument is that it was all Brady? Then Tell me who was the greatest coach ever then. I’m willing to bet whoever it is also had a hall of fame QB during their run.
And there are plenty of coaches who had a Hall of Fame QB that didn't sniff that level of success.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
All Brady.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Huh, not doubting his greatness but you do realize that division sucked for more than a decade right? That guaranteed home playoff games and allowed them to get up for the really tough games on their schedule which amounted to an average of 4-5 a year. Split those and you are in the running for a one or two seed which both used to get buys into the second round.

Also, he had the Goat who took a home town discount to build around him.

Their ability to draft talent was off the charts and he is an amazing coach but to say he didn't have built in advantages is just not true.
Put simply, imagine how many more titles Belichick would have if the patriots got to pick every other pick in the 1st round. Thats how much more the deck was stacked in Saban’s favor.

NorthTexasDog

Oct 1, 2023
I guess you are ignoring the cheating scandals that have followed Belichick around since 2007.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Losing Tom Brady and the ability to secretly record your opponent's practices will do that to you.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Put simply, imagine how many more titles Belichick would have if the patriots got to pick every other pick in the 1st round. Thats how much more the deck was stacked in Saban’s favor.
That's comparing Bama to NE.....two different leagues.

Not arguing Bama's advantage over other college teams of which Saban benefited. I'm arguing NE's advantage over their peer NFL teams of which Belichick benefited.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Is it no wonder Saban retired with parity improving in college football. Saban failed in the NFL while Belichick dominated. It is an abomination to compare the two.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
"The way he does things just met its expiration date". Explain

he forever got rid of players as soon as they were about to get a big contract and fill the holes with lesser paid players. He traded down in the draft to the point where it became a joke and found players later in the draft. He created patriots culture whatever that means, but there definitely seemed to be something to it. players on those teams still talk about it. Father time caught up with him along with him at some point. He doesn’t seem to connect with players the way he used to.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
exactly. One is the real GOAT and the other is Saban.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login