• Michael Jordan

• Larry Bird

• Magic Johnson

• Shaquille O'Neal

• Tim Duncan

• Kobe Bryant

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 22, 2012
MJ was the best offensive player but also won Defensive player of the year. He is also one of the greatest clutch players ever in sports.

Too many people forget how great he was all around. LeBron is basically modern day Magic Johnson. Tall point guard who can score.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
MJ was the best offensive player but also won Defensive player of the year. He is also one of the greatest clutch players ever in sports.

Too many people forget how great he was all around. LeBron is basically modern day Magic Johnson. Tall point guard who can score.
Lebron placed top 5 in DPOY something like 5 times. If you want to say Mike was better then fine, but it's not like Lebron sucks or something at defense.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Lebron placed top 5 in DPOY something like 5 times. If you want to say Mike was better then fine, but it's not like Lebron sucks or something at defense.
Jordan was better defensively... and the margin is wide. Stats back this up as well.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Bill Russell. He was before my time, but he was a rebounding and defensive machine who could score whenever it was needed.

Magic Johnson. He made everybody on the court playing with him better. Run your lane on a fast break, keep ready for a pass, and Magic will feed you for a layup/dunk. Plus, Magic could play every position on the floor. Simply stated, Magic was a winner.

Jordan . . . no explanation is required.

Larry Bird was the same way. He made all the players around him much better. Plus, he's the greatest **** talker of all-time so you gotta love that. This vid is faf. Bird was also a prankster. He gathered the rookies together for dinner. After dinner they asked him if there was a good club close by. Bird gave them the address to the Ram Rod but it wasn't the kinda club they were expecting. Bird and MJ probably had more killer instinct than any players to ever lace up a shoe. Plus, Bird was just cold.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Jordan was better defensively
Literally what I said

and the margin is wide. Stats back this up as well.
They are both very, very elite so I'm curious how wide the margin could be? I have zero issue with anyone saying MJ is the greatest - I agree! But the campaign by some to make Lebron suck or something is obtuse.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Literally what I said

They are both very, very elite so I'm curious how wide the margin could be? I have zero issue with anyone saying MJ is the greatest - I agree! But the campaign by some to make Lebron suck or something is obtuse.

How wide?

Jordan 14.5 year career:
9 time all defense (60+% of his career). 7 times in top 5 of DPOY voting (nearly 50% of his career). 1 time DPOY

Lebron: 21 year career:
5 times all defense (less than 25% of his career), 5 times in top 5 of DPOY (less than 20% of his career), 0 DPOY

Can compare primes too: Age 24, both won their 1st MVP. Fair to say began the prime of both: Jordan did walk away for a year during these prime years. But even then. He out performed Lebron numbers wise.

Jordan ages 24-34. Was on the all defense team every season, top 5 seven of those season, top 10 every season.
Lebron: longest stretch was his 5 year stretch to be All D team, never made it again after year 28. top 5 five of those seasons. 2 years didnt even get a vote.

Basically Jordan was twice the defensive player LeBron was.

Last edited:
Reactions: M R DAWGS

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
How wide?

Jordan 14.5 year career:
9 time all defense (60+% of his career). 7 times in top 5 of DPOY voting (nearly 50% of his career). 1 time DPOY

Lebron: 21 year career:
5 times all defense (less than 25% of his career), 5 times in top 5 of DPOY (less than 20% of his career), 0 DPOY

Can compare primes too: Age 24, both won their 1st MVP. Fair to say began the prime of both:

Jordan ages 24-34. Was on the all defense team every season, top 5 seven of those season, top 10 every season.
Lebron: longest stretch was his 5 year stretch to be All D team, never made it again after year 28. top 5 five of those seasons. 2 years didnt even get a vote.

Basically Jordan was twice the defensive player LeBron was.
You're kind of being creative there using % of career - nice try.

They're both elite. "twice the defensive player" is simply being dogmatic.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You're kind of being creative there using % of career - nice try.

They're both elite. "twice the defensive player" is simply being dogmatic.
I'm really not being creative.

Jordan is the all team leader in 1st team all time defensive team selections. 9 straight 1st team selections, 7 top 5 DPOY selections and 1 DPOY selection during that time frame... and did all that in 7 less seasons than lebron did.

LeBron in his 21 year career has only been able to show he's a elite defender for 5 of those seasons.

If one player at 9 MVPs in 14 years and another had 5 in 21. There wouldnt even be a conversation about who the goat was.... Thats how wide the gulf is b/t them defensively.... very wide.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'm really not being creative.

Jordan is the all team leader in 1st team all time defensive team selections. 9 straight 1st team selections, 7 top 5 DPOY selections and 1 DPOY selection during that time frame... and did all that in 7 less seasons than lebron did.

LeBron in his 21 year career has only been able to show he's a elite defender for 5 of those seasons.

If one player at 9 MVPs in 14 years and another had 5 in 21. There wouldnt even be a conversation about who the goat was.... Thats how wide the gulf is b/t them defensively.... very wide.
ok

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010

Magic was taller and had better ball handling skills. Magic could play any position on the floor including center. He had to play center in the NBA finals due to injuries and they won. Magic is higher on my list than Lebron but I can honestly say, I am biased as I never watched much of Lebron. I had quit the NBA due to the favoritism. Lebron flops too damn much to be on any list of mine.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
From the Russell/Wilt Era, it goes to Russell.

Magic/Bird was unbelievable at times with the way they made their teams better. Passing, defense, scoring, they did it all in a league that was vicious.

Jordan stood alone in the 90's.

LeBron has put up great numbers, but I just can't see him surving this long in the league in the 80's and 90's. The PF position is baby soft the last 20 years.

Shaq, Kareem, same as Wilt, bigger/taller than their peers. Consider that the only center that could body Shaq was Dampier and he gave up 50+ pounds.

My all time starting 5.
PG: Magic
SG: Jordan
SF: Bird
PF/C: Russell
C/PF: Duncan

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I went with Russell . He was obviously one of the all-times and I got to meet him to sit and visit with him a few minutes Starkville. Very sharp guy, liked to laugh and easy to talk to.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
From the Russell/Wilt Era, it goes to Russell.

Magic/Bird was unbelievable at times with the way they made their teams better. Passing, defense, scoring, they did it all in a league that was vicious.

Jordan stood alone in the 90's.

LeBron has put up great numbers, but I just can't see him surving this long in the league in the 80's and 90's. The PF position is baby soft the last 20 years.

Shaq, Kareem, same as Wilt, bigger/taller than their peers. Consider that the only center that could body Shaq was Dampier and he gave up 50+ pounds.

My all time starting 5.
PG: Magic
SG: Jordan
SF: Bird
PF/C: Russell
C/PF: Duncan
One thing forgotten is these players you guys are comparing are not playing against the same quality of players. In other words, the guys from Michael Jordan's or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's era were playing against those players, and LeBron James was playing against players of today's quality.

This creates another argument... whether the players from older eras were better than the players today or if the players today are better than the old players. The argument continues...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login