Best BBQ in the SEC footprint....

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I loved Petty's, ate many fine meals there (I typically got brisket or chicken), and especially miss their sauce. I remember it nothing but fondly.

But to say it's the best BBQ in the SEC footprint is about like saying Wayne Madkin was the best SEC QB in the last 30 years.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
My top 3 would be Lewis's Hatch Green Chili BBQ Sauce outta South Carolina along with Salt Lick's original sauce, and Leroy and Lewis Beat BBQ sauce both out of the Austin area.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Depends on individual tastes. What may be the best to one may not be for another.
My dislike of sweet stuff like bbq sauce puts me in a minority so I never was a huge rib fan till I had the paprika based dry rub at the Rendezvous. I never was a huge brisket fan until I moved to Texas where it is moist and tender unlike the dry stuff I'd had prior. But there are places all over the south that I've not been to.

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
When in Vicksburg, I recommend giving Tommy's BBQ on Hwy61N a try. The brisket (choice of fatty or lean) is very good.

Reactions: DerHntr

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Slight thread hijack: I kind of resent how high-end BBQ has gotten in the last few years. I really miss when it was random places like Petty's, and not a bougie Instagram spot with $30/lb brisket.

Anyways, there's never been a better time to be a backyard BBQ'er with all the online forums and readily available accoutrements.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
When in Vicksburg, I recommend giving Tommy's BBQ on Hwy61N a try. The brisket (choice of fatty or lean) is very good.
I’ve heard good things about Tommy’s.

As far as Petty’s goes, as a 20-22 year old college kid that would eat just about anything, his burger and pulled pork sandwich were hard to beat. People always talk about the customer service there, but if you came around pretty often, he was as nice as he could be once he got to recognize and know you.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
It's a bit outside of Austin, but if any of you are going to be in the hell of burnt orange for the game, go out to Llano for cooper's (do not go to any of their offshoots). Opposite direction, go to luling and hit up City Market, otherwise salt lick is good enough.

In SC, I've only found Scott's in bfe that was worth it.

Of course, if I were going to a game in texas or SC, bbq is not on my todo list.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Visit Lockhart, TX, and pick a BBQ place to eat. You will forget anything Petty's unless you are listening to a Tom Petty song at the time.

The only type of BBQ that typically/generally sucks in Texas is pulled pork. You'll find it good at about 1 in 5 places (and I may be high balling that number) . . . but they just don't usually do it well. Many BBQ joints out here think it should be served with the consistency of Jackson Public School sloppy joes.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's a bit outside of Austin, but if any of you are going to be in the hell of burnt orange for the game, go out to Llano for cooper's (do not go to any of their offshoots). Opposite direction, go to luling and hit up City Market, otherwise salt lick is good enough.

In SC, I've only found Scott's in bfe that was worth it.

Of course, if I were going to a game in texas or SC, bbq is not on my todo list.
Nothing is good north of town near Leander and Liberty Hill, so don't bother to come here.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'm currently out here working in Texas, I've never had brisket served with BBQ sauce.

You are speaking heresy.
Plenty of sauce around Houston and Austin, but I'll bite. Make it pot roast with a smokey flavor. :)

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Easy: McDonald's fries and Hardee's biscuits
Been a long while since I’ve had a Hardee’s Biscuit. Those were good.

McDonald’s fries — if freshly cooked— could be a contender. But it’s not happened often enough in my experience lately.

Reactions: dorndawg

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Anybody remember Topp’s in Aberdeen? I haven’t been there in about 25 years but it sure was good back then.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
That and Popeye’s red beans and rice are my shortlist of Best Chain Food ever.

They are at the top of the short list, ME. I used to go to the one on Hwy. 12 and buy the large as the only item, and then blast my roommate out of the dorm room 2-3 hours later. Good times and just the best red beans and rice--for a chain--you'll ever get.

• Love
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
I live in the Jackson area and we don’t have any Hardee’s around here. However, one of my best friends lives south of Hattiesburg and we dove hunt at his place 2-3 times a year. If I’m passing through Collins in the AM hours, I’m getting two BEC biscuits at that Hardee’s in Collins. Those biscuits are huge and delicious.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
H.E.B. is hands down better than Petty's. For those that don't know, H.E.B. is a grocery store in Texas, and yes, the BBQ is top notch.
They just renovated ours to put the new BBQ place on there. I haven't tried it yet.

Reactions: dawgman42

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I live in the Jackson area and we don’t have any Hardee’s around here. However, one of my best friends lives south of Hattiesburg and we dove hunt at his place 2-3 times a year. If I’m passing through Collins in the AM hours, I’m getting two BEC biscuits at that Hardee’s in Collins. Those biscuits are huge and delicious.
I think the last time I had a Hardee’s biscuit was in Laurel well over 20 years ago…

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Popeyes beans and rice is in the George Washington position.
Heh...when we'd have a project at Union Tank car in Louisiana, those plant guys swore by the Popeyes. These dudes had awesome food choices everywhere and would pack the Popeyes.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Such a ridiculous discussion. What is BBQ? Within this discussion can't decide on brisket, ribs, shoulder so how can there even be a best? I have eaten at a little place in Bolton, TX called Miller's Smokehouse and it is excellent. How many people have eaten there? It's one of those places where they cook a certain amount each day and when they run out that day you are SOL. There are places like that all over the huge area that no one here has ever even eaten at.

This is like the Best Hot Sauce discussion. Way too wide of a selection to pick a best.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022

McDonald’s fries — if freshly cooked— could be a contender. But it’s not happened often enough in my experience lately.
How about the Hardee’s fried chicken ?!?
Not Popeyes good but back in the day there was a Hardee’s on every corner and you had to search to find a Popeyes and sometimes still were out of luck.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login