Best BBQ in the SEC footprint....

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
TX BBQ wins hands down to anything in the old SEC.
If you consider Kansas City as part of the SEC footprint (Missouri) then they’d be a distant 2nd.
TN (Memphis and Nashville- (because of Martins and maybe Edley’s and Peg Leg)) and Alabama would vie for third and fourth.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
TX BBQ wins hands down to anything in the old SEC.
If you consider Kansas City as part of the SEC footprint (Missouri) then they’d be a distant 2nd.
TN (Memphis and Nashville- (because of Martins and maybe Edley’s and Peg Leg)) and Alabama would vie for third and fourth.
Love me some Texas BBQ mainly because I’m a beef guy but mustard based Carolina BBQ is legit.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
How about the Hardee’s fried chicken ?!?
Not Popeyes good but back in the day there was a Hardee’s on every corner and you had to search to find a Popeyes and sometimes still were out of luck.
When the closest Hardee’s to where I live and work is in Magee, my opportunities to eat their fried chicken and biscuits are few and far between.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It really all depends on what you like. I've had great barbecue at every place I've gone.

I live in Texas, but I love mid south smoking. I ruined all my neighbors once they tried my smoked pork butt and homemade coleslaw. I remember the first time I made a pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw on it... they looked at me like I had three heads.

When they came back for thirds I knew I had them.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I still contend 30 years later and having lived around the country and overseas, Petty's BBQ in Starkville was the best BBQ anywhere.
In the 80s there was a rumor he used ground up chicken **** in his sauce. Although I knew it wasn't true, I couldn't bring myself to eat there.

chefdawg

Aug 23, 2012
My top 3 would be Lewis's Hatch Green Chili BBQ Sauce outta South Carolina along with Salt Lick's original sauce, and Leroy and Lewis Beat BBQ sauce both out of the Austin

My top 3 would be Lewis's Hatch Green Chili BBQ Sauce outta South Carolina along with Salt Lick's original sauce, and Leroy and Lewis Beat BBQ sauce both out of the Austin area.
Here’s that Lewis green sauce recipe; super easy to make and so damn good. Even better if you can sub out actual green chilis that you grill/roast. https://www.eater.com/21587618/green-chile-barbecue-sauce-recipe-pitmaster-john-lewis

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
They just renovated ours to put the new BBQ place on there. I haven't tried it yet.
Half my family is from West Texas, specifically El Paso and barbeque out there is waaaayyyyyy different than anywhere else in Texas or the south. They don't use any tomato based sauces at all. Basically, just the meat and maybe some vinegarette type flavoring mixed in. Almost no sauce at all.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Such a ridiculous discussion. What is BBQ? Within this discussion can't decide on brisket, ribs, shoulder so how can there even be a best? I have eaten at a little place in Bolton, TX called Miller's Smokehouse and it is excellent. How many people have eaten there? It's one of those places where they cook a certain amount each day and when they run out that day you are SOL. There are places like that all over the huge area that no one here has ever even eaten at.

This is like the Best Hot Sauce discussion. Way too wide of a selection to pick a best.
I used to work in Temple, TX just north of Belton. Miller's wasn't open back then, but I have stopped in since. It's definitely a destination BBQ joint in Texas IMO. I love new school BBQ, but I have special place for the old school players... Pre Aaron Franklin.

Most high quality Texas (Aka beef) BBQ places are designed to run out... If not you're getting left over BBQ tomorrow or the business is throwing brisket or ribs away. Some places will turn the leftover brisket in to chopped beef the next day, but those are more mid level anyway.

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Some places will turn the leftover brisket in to chopped beef the next day, but those are more mid level anyway.
I may be in the minority, but a good chopped beef sandwich is fantastic. Not saying better than a good slice of brisket point or a beef rib, but you won’t catch me turning one down.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg
Aug 15, 2011
Petty’s BBQ was ok, but the cheeseburger was legit. That was my go to for a burger in college. Christy’s wasn’t all that great at their new location. There was another place past the golf course that was a wooden shack that sold an outstanding hamburger too. Can’t remember the name of it though.

Back on topic, but I can’t really remember a great BBQ place I’ve tried. Most commercial BBQ is mediocre. You can’t beat the bbq you can make on your own.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Re: Biscuits, I would like to nominate Bojangle's country ham, egg, & cheese biscuit as worthy of note. It's my go-to when I find a Bojangles even if it's for lunch.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
It really all depends on what you like. I've had great barbecue at every place I've gone.

I live in Texas, but I love mid south smoking. I ruined all my neighbors once they tried my smoked pork butt and homemade coleslaw. I remember the first time I made a pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw on it... they looked at me like I had three heads.

When they came back for thirds I knew I had them.
Hard to find good pulled pork in Texas outside of east Texas.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I may be in the minority, but a good chopped beef sandwich is fantastic. Not saying better than a good slice of brisket point or a beef rib, but you won’t catch me turning one down.
I'll get looked down their noses at by the Texas bbq snobs, but the spicy chop sammich at Rudy's BBQ in central Texas is pretty damn good. I typically side it with Lays tater chips, nanner pudding, and an Arnold Palmer. That's a damn fine lunch!

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
BBQ is regional so it’s not an apples to apples comparison. I think the best representation of what I’d call MS BBQ right now is Pig N Pint in Fondren. They do all the basics well but also do some really unique stufff that’s awesome. The smoked mac n cheese with the hatch chilis is a great side. The smoked pork belly corn dogs are absolutely ridiculous. The smoked bologna sandwhich with house-made bologna with the fried egg, bacon, cheese, & sauce should be illegal.

The biggest complaint most have about BBQ is how expensive it’s gotten but when you’re whole genre is all meat, you’re at the mercy of rising commodity prices more than other genres. It is what it is.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login